Server Loss and Choke

I'm getting like 30+ LOSS on the server lately. Choke I can live with. Loss is so bad that I don't even hear the sound effect of purchasing kevlar.

Ice was saying something about there being a bad router from the server to our clients? Anyone got any news about when this issue is going to get resolved? Loss is never a good thing to play with... even if it's <5... So over 30 is just ridiculous.

Thanks

p.s. it's not happening on other Source servers I play on.

Edited by {.s.D.s.} R!c0

This seems to be a problem for some people, while others are just fine. The admins are aware of the problem and in fact some of them are affected by it. We don't believe that it is Aim2Game's problem. We think there is a router going bad somewhere on the way to A2G and the people experiencing loss are going through this router. Rest assured, we are trying to solve the problem.

Maybe this has already been said, or maybe it's not a good idea, but it seems like getting a traceroute from people that are having this problem might help us figure out what's going on. Maybe this is regional. I'm in the northeast and I'm not seeing any problems with loss or choke.

I haven't checked for loss, but most people using their radio to talk is all broken up. They seem to hear me just fine. I generally just listen for key words, like A or B.

:lol2:

I'll run a "net_stat 3" ? (can't remember the command) and see if I am getting loss or choke as well.

Maybe this has already been said, or maybe it's not a good idea, but it seems like getting a traceroute from people that are having this problem might help us figure out what's going on. Maybe this is regional. I'm in the northeast and I'm not seeing any problems with loss or choke.

We're getting ping plots (fancy tracertes :) ) of some of the admins (like myself) and other GC members having this issue. Fatty's talked to a2g about it as well, they mentioned they're also noticing some routing issues. Unfortunatley I haven't heard anything as to when this will be resolved. Welcome to the wonderfull world of technology :(

Short of saying we're aware of it and investigating, I'm not sure what to say. Strange thing is, some days are much better for me than others...

Heyya, I think that was my problem. But then in miraculously disappeared. At first I thought it's because the ping on server went way down from 130s to 30s for me. But it was probably also because I tweaked my rates that Warpig posted in another post, that Swoop apperently posted in the post before that.....well you get the idea.

i have messed with my rates alot, got it good enough and then swoop posted his rates:

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 15

that is what i use know and 0 choke ping stays between 25-30

Heyya, I think that was my problem. But then in miraculously disappeared. At first I thought it's because the ping on server went way down from 130s to 30s for me. But it was probably also because I tweaked my rates that Warpig posted in another post, that Swoop apperently posted in the post before that.....well you get the idea.

i have messed with my rates alot, got it good enough and then swoop posted his rates:

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 15

that is what i use know and 0 choke ping stays between 25-30

i have my rates just the same way listed...they were that was last night too... still, last night was the highest loss i experienced.

alot of us in CsLs use....

rate 25000 or 30000

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 100

* i am also getting loss. usually around 50 too. we have talked to a2g about our servers and why we are getting loss(CsLs). it sounds like they hope to have the problem fixed by early oct. dont mark my words but start looking for an improvement in the servers around then. if not try running a trace route to see where the problem is and where the loss is coming from.

yeah, it did the same thing last night... I even got up to over 70 Loss at one point.. but i was STILL ownin up the server..

w00t...

And then, as you said, once it got later, it went away...

internet "technology" is really bizarre. I think the hardest part is with the loss, you can't hear some things... like I miss nearly 50% of the he-grenades exploding... i can't even SEE the explosion, let alone hear it...

I wouldn't say bizarre, the loss explains a lot of the problems

for instance voice, with significant loss a large amount of data is being lost mid-stream. This means that some data packets never make it to the computer, or arrive too late to be used. So thus you don't receive all the voice data and the transmission is flaky.

The same for other events such as detonations, the server says teh grenade detonated, but your game reacts to the late packet and things get wierd.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still having issues with this? Because I am :) Choke is usally around 15+ in fire fights, randomly between 0-15 during normal running around, its messing with my tmp/shotgun rushing :(

Frankly CS:S just hasnt been enjoyable with ping spiking like that, I have removed CS and redownloaded it, changed every setting under the sun from defaults to better then worse, nothing gets rid of the choke. Any suggestions?

Ping trace shows no spikes between me and the server, running at every 5 seconds for 5 minutes testing.

hmm, I assume you already tried killing anything and everything that was running in the background while you were playing? (exa. ftp programs, file downloads/uploads, kazaa/p2p programs, bit torrent, anything else I can think of that uses bandwidth)

beyond that, does changing your cl_cmdrate/cl_updaterate have any affect?

last night I had a slightly new problem. I've got 0/0 (loss/choke) during normal movement, but firefights would spike up to 0/15. this is a different symptom than the constant 30/0 from the previous month.

It was devastating though... i played a map and a half, and couldn't kill a thing. What was especially annoying was standing in a doorway, waiting for an opponent to come into view. My first sighting would be as i'm falling down dead. I wouldn't even hear the shot or hit until AFTER i'm falling dead. In fact, i wouldn't even see the person appear and turn to me to fire. They would be running away after the shot when they appeared on my screen!

sigh.

Makes me wonder what I got shot with, if all i can see is their backside :erm:

:freak::freak:

Edited by Shropshire Slasher