CIV IV

Penty

Good news!!

Friday I had a horrible day. First woke up ten minutes after I was suppose to be at work. Left the house with no lunch and misplaced the money I was going to use for food. Only had grapes all day. Boss hassles me (exagerrated) me about being late.

So my wife and kids felt sorry for me and suprised me with an early birthday gift. So my day got better :D

Now I am trying to figure out the nuances of the game. The game is pretty in depth. I guess the main thing is to understand the tech tree so I can plan what I need when. I think that is just going to take some time to learn.

Played one game into the modern era before starting another. Was doing well until the war with Greece. That is another thing I will have to learn... how to fight. Sent a couple groups of elite units over to his continent but really didn't hurt him to much.

Well, gotta go to my niece's b'day party so I am going to have to stop playing for awhile :( BUT, I am going to take along the manual for some quality reading ;)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Impressions:

Game moves too fast compared to last installment. Seems like I'm discovering something new every turn on the tech tree. So, I'm getting overwhellmed with things to build. I dont know if I'm a big fan of the timeline speed either. 40 year jumps at the beginning isn't bad but it gets me into AD a bit quicker than I'd like.

Wonders: They dont give the same bonuses the originals did so I have to check the civ-pedia ever time I want to build one. I can also pump out wonders like no-one's business. It's almost like the other civs arent even trying.

At the moment I think there are too many terrain improvements. 3 was about right in Civ III. Just makes it too confusing to me right now, but I think after I get use to them it will give my cities more options for either growth, production, research, and money later on in the game years.

I think they finally got the difficulty settings correct. I use to play on 2nd or 3rd difficulty rung and get my tail handed to me. Right now I started on n00b and I have more civ points x3 at 1024 AD.

At the moment it feels like I have to know what type of victory condition I want to go for from the start of each game cause time feels so crunched. I've had to choose between improving my cities and having ANY military units before my city grows too big and gets upset. In Civ III I could focus on building up a strong country culture and happiness wise and still have 2/3rd of the time to devote to building a massive army and marching on one or two civs before the end of the game. I did notice there is an Epic timeline option, I may give this a shot.

I'm getting a bit lost when it comes to what is a tile type and what is a resource. There is a TON of tile types, resources...wow. The intruction book has a limited database, I have to look at everything in the civ-pedia in game to figure out what does what, allows what, gains what....sigh...

in short this is alot of game.

So far 8.5/10

Though technologies may be researched fast, it takes me a while to actually get into a war. Me and my brother are playing via lan, and we didn't go to war with the Mongols until the year 2003 (by then we were researching Future Tech 9).

It's still a pretty fun game. Buggy at times because of it's random crashes.

Sounds like there are quite a few GC playing this game. Maybe we could arrange an internet game some weekend, that is if we can all put our CS addiction on hold  :spin2:

...I hope it'd be a SHORT game, because I'm finding that the game me and my brother are currently in is going to take forever since we have to share one oil patch. :(

GC Alumni
(edited)
Find more sources of oil and destroy the ones holding it hehehehahahahahaarrrrrrrrrr...*cough*

The ONLY source of oil for me and my brother was located in the water just north of my cities. :bang: The Egyptians have 3 oil fields and want like SO much gold just for one. As of now, I'm getting like 700+ gold per turn and I have over 30,000 gold saved up.

My brother is currently at war with the Mongols to get one of their oil fields, but no luck so far. He captured one of his cities and fortifying it now while attacking their capital.

Edited by JackieChan

What difficulty level are you two playing on?

Its 1964 AD, I'm already in Future Tech and I've destroyed two of the civs on my continent. They had a fair sized army of muskett men and bowmen...I had...mech infantry, artillery, battleships, and tanks....PWNED!!

I'm almost the sole owner of my conintent...just have to rub out the aztecs and I'm golden. Civ points are at 4000+ with America following with 1800+.

There is still no contest on wonder construction. I ignored them for most of the middle ages and no one even build one. I really gotta move up in difficulty settings. I played so hap-hazardly and its not even a challange.

One more thing I really like is that your puny warriors can upgrade all the way to mech infantry...W00T!

Around 400 AD I put my workers into automate mode and that really cut down on the micro managment. It really sped up the game. I'm learning to build city improvements to increase happiness, then productivity, then research, then money.

Since I only went to war today I found that war weariness has been DRASTICALLY reduced. In Civ III you were lucky to get 5 or 6 turns before your cities started to revolt and I'm glad to say that is one thing I do not miss.

Score going up: 9/10

I hope it'd be a SHORT game, because I'm finding that the game me and my brother are currently in is going to take forever since we have to share one oil patch. 

You guys could also try the increased production option when setting up the game. It wont made your oil problem go away, but in future games you could build a more sizable army in shorter time :)

Edited by Brillow_Head

Wow, brill, you have to up the difficulty setting :)

I have only played on Noble and it's a pretty even fight at that level for me. Have you tried playing a longer speed setting? Game moves along but not too fast for me. The last game I won with the spaceship took 6.2 hours (love the stats at the end of the game) definetly shorter than Civ III but still substantial (at normal speed setting).

I have not tried a multiplayer game yet. If anyone wants to try it out with maybe us versus AI that would be fun. Just let me know and we can set up a time.

What leaders are you guys using. Try using the financial trait. Its a big boon in commerce (science, money, culture) since every coastal tile produces one more coin and some improvements also.

I love the extra options for my workers but like you Brillow just have to get use to what they all do. PLUS late tech discoveries improve the improvements.

Im giving it a 9.3 but that might change. I don't trust anyone who rates a game like this withing one week of getting it. It takes huge amounts of playing to really tell how good it is. So far I'm loving it!

I'd be up for some co-op gameplay. It actually sounds fun to put the computer on a tougher setting and team up against the common enemy.

I usually availible from 6 PM Central to 9 PM Central durring the weekdays. Weekends are pretty busy as of late but Sundays are fair game in the afternoon onward.

I've played a few single player scenario's through now. It's like i can't get everything done that i want to within your pre-set # of turns... Maybe i should chill out on building world wonders and just smash people more....

I tried to play japan on earth once.... wow. The world like hates you from the start and your stuck on a tiny island. I had mongolians and chinese knocking down my door from the start.

I'd play online with you guys but... that would take too long.

I've played a few single player scenario's through now. It's like i can't get everything done that i want to within your pre-set # of turns... Maybe i should chill out on building world wonders and just smash people more....

I tried to play japan on earth once.... wow. The world like hates you from the start and your stuck on a tiny island. I had mongolians and chinese knocking down my door from the start.

I'd play online with you guys but... that would take too long.

Thank God for multiplayer saved games.