New 512MB 7800GTX

Vovik

I can remember popping in that blazingfast top of the line 4meg trident blade isa video card. Now we have this. For that kinda money, it better physically pull me into HL2 and make me part of the game. :D

It won't. I've maxed out all the settings on my X800XL (ALL settings), and get around 130 fps average. A card like this 512MB 7800 is way overkill at the moment, but probably won't be for games like UT2007 and beyond.

It won't.  I've maxed out all the settings on my X800XL (ALL settings), and get around 130 fps average.  A card like this 512MB 7800 is way overkill at the moment, but probably won't be for games like UT2007 and beyond.

in what game and at what resolution? i can't do that with my xl...

It won't.  I've maxed out all the settings on my X800XL (ALL settings), and get around 130 fps average.  A card like this 512MB 7800 is way overkill at the moment, but probably won't be for games like UT2007 and beyond.

CS:S, 1024x768. I'm on an LCD so my refresh rate is crap though -- maybe that has something to do with it?

And I'll double check my settings, but the last time I checked, I cranked up every graphic setting I could in the CS Settings menu.

CS:S, 1024x768. I'm on an LCD so my refresh rate is crap though -- maybe that has something to do with it?

And I'll double check my settings, but the last time I checked, I cranked up every graphic setting I could in the CS Settings menu.

Yeah but the point of these new videocard is to do 1600x1200 resolution at all settings.

why not run at 1280 on an lcd? isn't 1280 x 1024 your native res? if you have a 17 or 19 inch then it almost definately is. also, you should cap your fps at your refresh rate otherwise you'll be getting tearing. having an lcd has nothing to do with your fps. unless you have vsync on. for cs i'd recommend that off cause there's a definate performance hit. capping your fps at your refresh should have mostly the same effect anyway.

How would one cap the fps?

I believe at 1280x1024, the refresh is at 60hz.

(On a side note, I did double-check the settings, and I maxed out every graphics option in the game I could).

in console type fps_max 100 (to limit it to 100)

The refresh rate depends on your monitor, the better it is the bigger refresh rates it supports. Check the advanced settings for you videocard to change it.

I should have been more specific with my question. If I'm understanding Cujo correctly, the max FPS should be tied to the refresh rate, so there must be some sort of chart. I'll make up some bogus numbers:

60 hz, max framerate = 60 FPS

75 hz, max framerate = 90 FPS

85 hz, max framerate = 130 FPS

But I don't know what the actual numbers are. What's the max FPS 60hz can handle? The max for 75?

On a side note, this thread is totally getting derailed. After you post the chart, let's go back to the 7800GTX topic, shall we? :)

I should have been more specific with my question.  If I'm understanding Cujo correctly, the max FPS should be tied to the refresh rate, so there must be some sort of chart.  I'll make up some bogus numbers:

60 hz, max framerate = 60 FPS

75 hz, max framerate = 90 FPS

85 hz, max framerate = 130 FPS

But I don't know what the actual numbers are.  What's the max FPS 60hz can handle?  The max for 75?

On a side note, this thread is totally getting derailed.  After you post the chart, let's go back to the 7800GTX topic, shall we?  :)

The refresh rate is the rate your monitor 'refreshes', basically your monitor fps (they are constant). The framerates you get in the game have no effect on your monitor's refresh rate unless you use VERTICAL SYNC, which you shouldn't. If you use vertical sync then your max framerates in the game will be your refresh rate (ex. 75hz, max framerate = 75fps). Hope this helps.

And, who cares about this new videocard anyway? This thing costs more than a good-enough-computer.

the thing is, if your monitor is only 60Hz then technically the most FPS you will see is 60 no matter what your video card is pumping. But keep in mind if your video card is only chugging along at 60 fps, then it doesnt mean it will be as smooth as if your card was pumping out 120 fps. FPS on video card == smoother

cap your fps at 60. vsync is useful except for the performance hit. tearing can occur when your fps go above your refresh. at 1600x1200 in cs my monitor refreshes at 100hz so i cap my fps at 100.