My new Ride

NOFX

(edited)

Im going to pick this up tomorrow

84 Toyota 4x4

OxhLPt0AFVYBL5aBLj7XrTKLrPNj.jpg

Only thing that it needs is new tires. Im hoping I can drop a small amount of cash <600 to get started. I want to put on some 33"s and a small 3" lift. give her a tune up, replace the timing chain, etc..... then I plan to rip up the carpet on the inside, put some new down, possibly replace the seats down the road.

It only has 84k miles on it and Im only paying $1600. With the 22R engine it should run until a tree falls on it.

My 02 Jetta GLX isn't working out for me. I need a pickup!

I'll try to post some pics of my progress.

Edited by NOFX

Did the previous owner garage this truck or put in a new engine? 84k on a '84 is nothing.

nope, the entire truck only has 84k miles., which was pretty much the main reason I bought it. I want something I can beat the crap out of and not worry about it and will last a long time. Only history I know of it goes back to 98, its been used as a farm truck since then.

I bought it today, but it still sitting at the guys house, gotta find someone to give me a ride up there. The thing rides rough, I havent drove a car without power stearing in a while. The interior is pretty rough, turns out it Im not going to have to rip up any carpet because it doesnt have any.

Engine runs solid, frame is solid, bed has a little rust but Im not worried about. The interior is horrible, the seat is pretty much destoryed, sits nice, but you cant take the cover off and I could probably use a new dash, if I can find one for cheap.

drove it home yesterday night.. Lesson learned..

When going 65 on the interstate, and a jack@ss passes you, then decides to get in your lane and do 40. If your on a high rise bridge and driving on the metal part, where the bridge comes apart and you have no tread on your tires and it is raining, DO NOT. I repeat DO NOT hit the gas and try to pass him. I wasn't paying much attention to the surface I was on, but it was very comparable to ice. I first almost fish tailed into him, then the wall. then him again, then the wall. Then finally got control. whew.......

drove it home yesterday night..  Lesson learned..

When going 65 on the interstate, and a jack@ss passes you, then decides to get in your lane and do 40.  If your on a high rise bridge and driving on the metal part, where the bridge comes apart  and you have no tread on your tires and it is raining, DO NOT.  I repeat DO NOT hit the gas and try to pass him.  I wasn't paying much attention to the surface I was on, but it was very comparable to ice.  I first almost fish tailed into him, then the wall.  then him again, then the wall.  Then finally got control.  whew.......

You scared me there. You made it sound like you crashed your truck on the drive home. Good thing you got control of it.

My first car was an 88 4Runner with the 22R (5spd). I never should have gotten rid of it (I think my Dad might have cried?). Anyhow, I got rid of it for a Chevy Sportside Reg cab with a 350 and a 5 spd (Getrag). The truck was SOOO cool and ran great for about 1 freakin year.

Should have kept the 4Runner...

I had an 86 that had 300k + miles on it when I got rid of it. Was nice. I spun it on a wet road did a coulpe of 360s down a 10' embankment and into a lake. Luckily it was winter and the water was way down, or I would have been submerged!!! Had it pulled out, changed the steering linkage, had the frame "adjusted" and it was good to go. Before I had them bend the frame back it was kinda funny, I adjusted the linkage so that it would drive striaght, but the rearend of the truck rode about 2" to the left of the front end. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
How's that truck workin out?

well.. after being stoked for a while of having a pickup, im sort of burned out. I was planning on spending some money on it to have it running good, but I think I have changed my mind. I did put new tires on, but it still failed inspection. I have some loose wires somewhere, shorting out the dash and a leak in the exhaust. I got my use out of it, buying a new couch and a new kitchen table, so I think im putting it up for sale soon on ebay or so forums.

I had a bunch of money saved up to pay off one of my student loans and I borrowed the cash from that to pay for the truck. I've decided Id rather have my loan paid off for now and when the time is right, I will buy a nicer truck that doesnt need all this work, First 1,500 takes it.

I posted it for sale yesterday. Already have someone coming by to look at it and at least 5 people sent emails wanting pictures.. 1500 bucks for a pickup with the low miles is a good deal if you wanna put a TLC into it

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

well, it looks like Im going to keep it. Im going to do some engine work and maybe sell it once its running good.

I just replaced, the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and it runs like a totally different truck, I would say at least 25% more power. I have a list of parts that are going to be replaced and I'm trying to do it all myself. Luckily I have a friend who is a mechanic, so it should help me out in the end.

Fuel Pump

Distriburtor Seal

Exhaust manifold and gasket

Valve cover and gasket

Timing chain

for some reason Im stoked about tearing it apart and replacing all the stuff.

Im going to try and take picture of the progress

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I have most of the engine stripped down. Just put the new timing chain on yesterday. Now starts the process of putting it back together... work finished/currently in process

New exhaust manifold gasket

valve cover gasket

all new components with timing chain kit

timing cover gasket

oil pan gasket

wires

plugs

rotor

distributor

battery and cables

flushed radiator will all new hoses

new belts

if all goes well I will be purchasing a complete power steering setup and should be arriving the end of this week.

To do list:

-reinstall windshield

-Some guy gave me a good deal on a new bed and will be bringing it to me next month

-if Im still motivated at this point, im going to sand her down and maybe get a new paint job

-yanking some seats out of a celica and throwin in there.

And then it needs some suspension work.

I have been taking pictures and will start posting them soon.

• 2 weeks later...
nice, i remember when i had to get to the timing chain for a 97 intrepid. Its inside the engine, so your lucky. p.s. your pic of the suv is not working, i dont know what the body looks like

Geek, that is inside my engine. I have the crankshaft pulley, fan, water pump, timing chain cover and valve cover off.

nice, i remember when i had to get to the timing chain for a 97 intrepid. Its inside the engine, so your lucky. p.s. your pic of the suv is not working, i dont know what the body looks like

Geek, that is inside my engine. I have the crankshaft pulley, fan, water pump, timing chain cover and valve cover off.

oh, now i see. could you show a pic of your whole car? the first pic is not working.