Xfire is the devil

Vovik

So, I installed FEAR single player demo yesterday for like 2nd time, and 1st time with my X850XTPE and when I started it up it would go at about 5fps. I'm like....what the :huh: So I tried turning down graphics....nothing. Downloaded the latest (Dec2005) DirectX....nothing. New Catalyst 5.12....nothing. Still a good thing I updated the last 2. So, then by a luck of chance I turn off Xfire (never thought it would be the problem) and this thing works like a charm....

:unsure:

So, I decide to do a test with CSS. And what do you know? My framerates are 7 fps higher with Xfire turned off! UNBELIEVABLE. I'm not turning this sucker on again...You'll just have to find me in game or IM me on this forum.

Since I'm bottlenecking at the CPU end I bet my 7 fps is drastic. If you're not bottlenecking at CPU you might not experience loss of fps at all, I'm not sure. Test your stuff.

Im defineitly cpu limited, but Ive never noticed this.

HOWEVER, I have run into people that didnt know it acted like a peer-peer file sharing program and left all the file options way up.

Make sure you arent downloading a Q4 demo while you are trying to play! options/files/ speed while idle/at computer/playing a game. I disable all until I want them on.

my internet goes as high as 4500mbit/sec but usually around 3000mbit. no, i don't download anything using xfire.

how sure are you if xfire doesn't give u less fps? just do a "video stress test" in CSS with and then without Xfire and compare results

xfire + CS:S + teamspeak = Lockup for me

This started after their last update about a week and 1/2 ago. Suddenly whenever I try to open TS and connect to a server it will freeze bigtime.

Here's the best part, I can't kill it from task manager. I hit end process, on either apps or processes tab, and it just stares back at me. Have to do a hard reboot to fix it.