new video card - which one

ishmael

i'm looking for a new card,

i want a pci-e card with 256 of ram.

i have a 400 watt power supply.

what would you guys recommend, i dont know much about the newer video cards and i've never had a new 'good' card. the last thing i bought was a 9200 when the 9800 was the thing- so this will be the first for me.

pretty much, over the next year or two i'm going to be playing BF2 and Elder SCrolls : Oblivion when it comes out.

thanks in advance

If you're quick enough, you can get one of the 7800 GTX 512MB cards before they stop making them. If they haven't already...

Not worth it. The extra 256MB won't make much of a difference for the extra $100+ or whatever. Unless you got money to dish out going for extra memory on vid card isn't really worth it.

thanks.

whats the difference between the 6800GT and the ultra? and why not the 7800 for the 300? i'm posting this on a couple of sites at the same time, getting a feel around. someone is telling me the 7800 is a little less of a power dependent and quieter?

and which won out for the new gens of video cards- the atis or the gforce?

thanks.

whats the difference between the 6800GT and the ultra? and why not the 7800 for the 300? i'm posting this on a couple of sites at the same time, getting a feel around. someone is telling me the 7800 is a little less of a power dependent and quieter?

and which won out for the new gens of video cards- the atis or the gforce?

The 6800 Ultra has faster clock frequencies than the GT, and I think a couple more pipelines. Not sure, and I'm running at dial-up speeds right now so I can't really check. If you got a 7800, it would be a 7800GT. They're going for around $300. One thing you can never say about a video card is how quiet it is. Its noise level all lies within its fan, which differs between manufacturers. About being power dependent, I have no clue.

It's too hard to tell whether ATI or nVidia came out on top. People say different based on the basic specs, which company they like best, and the performance they got out of the cards, even if they're all used in computers with different components.

do you know if what the other forum said about the power requirements of the 7800 being lower was true? that is the biggest thing i'm running into that i fear may be a problem.

the 6800's i've seen that fit what i want are running only 50 dollars cheaper. not ruling them out, just curious. i want the most bang for my buck for now and for the long run.

the 6800's i've seen that fit what i want are running only 50 dollars cheaper. not ruling them out, just curious. i want the most bang for my buck for now and for the long run.

If that's the case than check zero's post. It you can throw out a few more dollars and get an x1800 you won't regret it. It should last for several years.

If I went with a new pci-e card I would not go anything lower than 7800gt or x1800xl

and Krut, yeah 512mb 7800gtx beside having more ram over 256mb 7800gtx is clocked higher so yeah there's a difference but I wouldn't go for it anyway cause it's like $750 :erm:

Edited by Vovik

If I went with a new pci-e card I would not go anything lower than 7800gt or x1800xl

and Krut, yeah 512mb 7800gtx beside having more ram over 256mb 7800gtx is clocked  higher so yeah there's a difference but I wouldn't go for it anyway cause it's like $750 :erm:

Didn't know it was clocked a bit higher than the 256MB. I thought that extra memory was the only difference between the cards like the 6800 512MBs were. And the $750 price, that's why it's not worth it unless you have the extra cash. Besides, that's what overclocking is for.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
and just one more double check,

zd- that wont have power issues with the 400 watt ps?

Nah, you should be fine as long as it isn't some cheapo junko that says 480watt but actually outputs 250watts.

i'm looking for a new card,

i want a pci-e card with 256 of ram.

i have a 400 watt power supply.

what would you guys recommend, i dont know much about the newer video cards and i've never had a new 'good' card. the last thing i bought was a 9200 when the 9800 was the thing- so this will be the first for me.

pretty much, over the next year or two i'm going to be playing BF2 and Elder SCrolls : Oblivion when it comes out.

thanks in advance

Heres some from ATI and Nvidia. Im assuming you want a good card but not to high in cost. These cards are more than enuff power to run the games you mentioned.

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/simprod.as...10423&ad=pwatch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...&ATT=14-121-192

Edited by TheReverend(c)

my guess is that it is the cheapo junk. get a new psu. if you're looking at 300 for a vid card then your system is worth about 1000-1200. they say 10% of your system money should be spent on a good powersupply. that means 100 bucks which means at least 500w enermax liberty or antec tp2.

go with the 7800gt over the x1800xl unless you need avivo.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I stand by what I said above. Getting the X800 or 6800 series of video card would be a waste of money at this point. Not if you want a system to last you a few years and play all the games you want. ATI has new stuff planned next month and Nvidia soon as well. These new cards will be 2 generations newer than those mentioned and linked by Rev above.

Better worth it to go at least current generation.

OCZ is what I would recommend right now. 88% efficiency (most never hit 80%) and better 12v Rail amps which is what is mostly required now days.

Edited by zerodamage

Ishmael,

I picked up the EVGA 7800 GT CO this holiday season.

*** Factory overclocked, lifetime warranty, cheapest 7800 GT I could find. :P ***

Well, there was cheaper, but I didn't want to go with a no name brand.

Anyways, two thumbs up for the EVGA hardware. It came with s-video, composite and regular a/v cables. Software selection was junk, but thats pretty typical.

I use it with my crappy 350W Enermax 20pin.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I am about to purchase a video card.  With the cost of the 6800GS, put in the overclock and it isn't far at all behind a 6800 Ultra.  Looks like my choice right now

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/6800gs/4

I wouldn't use 3dmark as your primary source for a benchmark. Compare by using benchmark of games you are playing now and games that represent future games. For example, I use HL2 performance for now and F.E.A.R. for future games as F.E.A.R. is extremely hard on a video card.

Funny you guys are talking about this... I was just speccing out a new system...

video was my biggest concern... so I am opting to place 2 cards in there for the SLI functionality.

so far I have selected

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard

2 x ASUS EN7800GTX/2DHTV/256 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 433 (PC 3500) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3120813AS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan

I haven't found a case I like yet... but I'm working on it.

you can see all the hardware info here

Next System