Someone needs to fix midwest #2

I am getting so mad at this server it is not even funny. it says i am banned from it again for the second time since i got unbanned a while back ago. this happened on 1/07/06 and my name was PaInTbAlLeR. if ur the admin that banned me please unban me beacause i have done nothing wrong. Shep see if u can clear things up again.

STEAM_0:0:9399511

i already mezmorized my id from typing it so much....LOL

Shep see if u can clear things up again.

Not only is he cool, but he's nice. I'd have made you rephrase this as a question, without any of the preceding vomit, and add a please to it somewhere.

Your ping is your latency.

Please try again...Ping is not latency. Your ping is how long your info takes to get to the server, latency is how long it takes to get back...when you press TAB to check scores and whatnot, that is your latency that is shown on the right...if you'd like to see your ping type "ping" in the console or just bring up net_graph 3

If your ping is low, but your latency is high(er) (like me) it means that the servers (routing servers, not the game server) sending your info back to you are slow/poorly set up/cheap/have bad connections and there's nothing you can do about it but gripe and get banned again for constantly griping... :D

Please try again...Ping is not latency. Your ping is how long your info takes to get to the server, latency is how long it takes to get back...when you press TAB to check scores and whatnot, that is your latency that is shown on the right...if you'd like to see your ping type "ping" in the console or just bring up net_graph 3

If your ping is low, but your latency is high(er) (like me) it means that the servers (routing servers, not the game server) sending your info back to you are slow/poorly set up/cheap/have bad connections and there's nothing you can do about it but gripe and get banned again for constantly griping... :D

So do you set cl_interp to ping or latency? Or average of both?

Eww.. Thats a tuffy Farmer. As I understand it from the docs/pics I have seen it should be around your ping. If you ping around 50 interp should be .05 ( or was it .5 I forget). Default is for 100 ping so if its .1 cut it to .05.

Warning... If you change to a diff server with a diff ping you WILL hit differnetly.

It seems to me that if the interp moves the models forward to estimate their real location, setting it to the latency would work better. If the info coming back to you is 20 ms, would not the model interp of .02 work better to have you shooting where they actually are? Or even to add the both together since it will take a ping of 30 ms + latency of 20 ms= 50 ms for your shot to hit a specific area?

ping = roundtrip

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2925.html

"Both ping and traceroute yield round-trip times measured in milliseconds. These times can be used as a rough approximation for network transit time."

latency = ambigious definition. can mean one way, can mean two ways.

http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1242.html

"The time interval starting when the last bit of the input frame reaches the input port and ending when the first bit of the output frame is seen on the output port."

use your ping to set interp.

(moved to scopeless)

guess i am in the same boat, my ping usually runs between 5-15, and latency is always in the 30's =(