Thinking of switching to AMD...

boiler

I'm considering getting an AMD setup and replacing my current P4-based system. I previously did not know anything about AMD, so I read up a little, checked the forums, and I think this is a possible setup I would look at:

Mobo:

ASUS A8N-E

Processor:

Athlon 64 3200+

RAM:

Corsair 1 GB (2x512)

First of all, how would this setup compare to my current cpu/mobo/ram:

ECS 945P-A

P4 630 3.0GHz

Corsair 1 GB DDR2 533

My graphics is a eVGA 7800GT.

This potential purchase would obviously only come if I could find someone to buy those three items I currently have (they are only 3 months old). Let me know what you guys think about this. Would I see much of a performance increase from what I have now? If not, then I'll just stick with what I have. Thanks!

I'm considering getting an AMD setup and replacing my current P4-based system. I previously did not know anything about AMD, so I read up a little, checked the forums, and I think this is a possible setup I would look at:

Mobo:

ASUS A8N-E

Processor:

Athlon 64 3200+

RAM:

Corsair 1 GB (2x512)

First of all, how would this setup compare to my current cpu/mobo/ram:

ECS 945P-A

P4 630 3.0GHz

Corsair 1 GB DDR2 533

My graphics is a eVGA 7800GT.

This potential purchase would obviously only come if I could find someone to buy those three items I currently have (they are only 3 months old). Let me know what you guys think about this. Would I see much of a performance increase from what I have now? If not, then I'll just stick with what I have. Thanks!

amd is a nice change... but i dont know your intel sounds fine and dandy..

might want someone that knows which is better talking, i have amd and i love it the only dwn side is

i needa keep it cool... and i dont have the bux for watercooling so i use fans = 75 dbs

=/

NuT- :wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

I'm not sure what the performance diff would be, but I just made the jump to AMD and I couldn't be happier.

I don't have any heat issues with mine, and I'm really picky about my comp being loud. I have an XP-90 heatpipe cooler with a 92mm thermaltake fan. Almost silent and keeps the cpu around 38C idle, it's get's up to 49C at the highest under full load. (Although since I added an extra 120mm fan to the case it hasn't gone past 44C, both 120mm's run in silent mode)

Oh yeah, it's S754 Athlon64 3500+, lol.

HTH

-George :freak3:

How soon are you wanting to do this? If you wait a while I have a that same 3200+ coming in that I ordered last night for some testing. I can see how far I can overclock it and then sell it for less than new. And I may want the P4 630.

How soon are you wanting to do this? If you wait a while I have a that same 3200+ coming in that I ordered last night for some testing. I can see how far I can overclock it and then sell it for less than new. And I may want the P4 630.

I'm not in a huge rush... I'd like to not take a huge hit when doing this switch out if possible, so I guess the cicumstances will determine whether or not I actually do this. From a performance standpoint, I think that I would like to do this, but I'll wait for some more input from people. Let me know what you're up to with that.

(edited)

mobo is solid. cpu is ok but only if you plan on ocing otherwise go with a 3700. and then if you're gonna oc switch the mobo to a dfi ultra-d or similar. think about 2gigs of ram. with my high end vid card using high qual textures i'm up around 95% ram usage in source with only 1 gig.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)

I just switched to an 3200+ and MSI Nforce4 mobo.

I owned a 2.6c and 845pe motherboard for the past two years and the 2.6 ran 24/7@3.0Ghz. And I also have a 7800gt right now.

My first impression is windows loads faster, but is not as snapier. What I mean is, it will load adobe photoshop quicker, but if Im doing something and try to open up firefox, it seems like it bottlenecking the cpu and i have to wait a few seconds.

I do get more FPS in my games, but i dont think the upgrade was a good price/performance ratio.

I would agree with cujo and if you HAVE to upgrade. At least the get the 3700+ for the 1 meg of cache.

also the 3200+ is a decent overclocker, I think the max i have pushed is around 2.3Ghz

Edited by NOFX

mobo is solid. cpu is ok but only if you plan on ocing otherwise go with a 3700. and then if you're gonna oc switch the mobo to a dfi ultra-d or similar. think about 2gigs of ram. with my high end vid card using high qual textures i'm up around 95% ram usage in source with only 1 gig.

I think I have settled on the 3200+, the $60+ jump to the 3700 is just not worth it/financially feasible considering what I would be expecting to get for my current cpu/mobo/ram setup. Basically I'm trying to see if I can spend about what I did on the components I currently have and get better performance for going AMD...

You guys seem to be giving positive reviews on the mobo/cpu (I know ASUS mobos are great, I've built another comp with one), so I think I'm headed in the right direction on that. As far as the RAM is concerned, I am not as much of an enthusiast as some people are and don't see a need to go with really expensive RAM. I am certainly considering getting 2 GB, but I think I'm going to go with 1 GB for now then get a second when I have more money.

At this point, I spose I'm looking to see if there are any serious takers for my current equip listed above. As I stated before, those components are virtually new (only 3 months old) and have not been abused whatsoever. The P4 was OCed to 3.4 for about two days, then I put it back to stock, but it was running perfectly fine at that speed and never got above 59C (even on stock cooling). Since its all still relevant and not outdated stuff, I don't think I will part with them for significantly less than what I paid. I'd prefer to sell as a bundle. If there are any interested parties, you can send me a personal message or post here.

AMD is coming out with a new socket soon (socket AM2) which is supposed to support DDR 2. I was hearing something like middle of 2006 it is supposed to be released. Anyways you might want to hold off and get the new socket when it comes out.

AMD is coming out with a new socket soon (socket AM2) which is supposed to support DDR 2. I was hearing something like middle of 2006 it is supposed to be released. Anyways you might want to hold off and get the new socket when it comes out.

I have heard something to that effect myself, however I am not the type that lives on the "bleeding edge" of technology, cause it costs a freakin arm and a leg to do so. I am also not a serious enthusiast that is willing to drop tons of money into a system to have the latest and greatest. I figure a 3200+ that has OCing ability would last me several years until I could afford a more serious mobo/cpu/ram upgrade. In the meantime, I could even go X2 if i felt the need to upgrade my 3200+ (still socket 939).

At this point, my offer to sell my current cpu/mobo/ram still stands.... I still have all original packaging and documentation (including newegg shipping info if desired).

I think I have settled on the 3200+, the $60+ jump to the 3700 is just not worth it/financially feasible considering what I would be expecting to get for my current cpu/mobo/ram setup.

I don't think your current upgrade from 3.0Ghz to a 3200+ is feasible finacially. Sure you may get 10 or so more FPS, but is it worth $300's? If your going to switch to AMD i would at least go with a 3700+, when your taking about spending 300 dollars for a few more FPS, is 60 bucks really that much of an impact?

I don't think your current upgrade from 3.0Ghz to a 3200+ is feasible finacially. Sure you may get 10 or so more FPS, but is it worth $300's? If your going to switch to AMD i would at least go with a 3700+, when your taking about spending 300 dollars for a few more FPS, is 60 bucks really that much of an impact?

I see your point, but IF I were to do this upgrade, I would be getting most of the money to purchase the AMD set-up from the sale of my current hardware. That would leave me with $60-80 out of pocket, which is more doable than $120-140 for the 3700+... Plus I hear the 3200+ is a pretty good OCer which can increase it's value for its price.