How bad does this sound?

duma

I drove the route he gave me last night. It was a good thing too; the directions had me going down a one way street.

I made sure I was there 20 min early, just in case he wanted to hire me on the spot. The interview was interesting in that there wasn't many questions, we mostly just talked about football (he is from Pittsburgh).

As I was leaving, he said:

Lawyer: thanks for coming in, and I am glad you found us.

Me: Thank you for having me for the interview, and I am glad that I found you too.

L: so my directions helped then?

M: (hoping this wouldn't come up) Yeah, they were fine, except the one road was one way. But that is okay because I found out that the other route you suggested might not work, actually worked fine.

L: ah, well it is just that I dont go that way often.

M: It isn't a problem. I appreciate the help that you gave me.

It went something like that. I tried to make a joke out of it, but also let him know that I tested it out before hand. Anyway..... yeah.... who knows.

Oh, and Mag, when I considered doing as you suggested, I was afraid he would ask me what I have. Also, I figure it is easier to remember the truth (should it come up) then to remember a lie. What can I say, I had a lot of time to think about it while I sat on the highway for an hour.

Didn't think you'd be telling a lie, i thought you were driving similar directions to what he gave you. Taking the highway and all. Anyways, Glad the interview went well. Keep us posted.

Oh, you should have posted for directions before calling...There are plenty of people from around Cinci on these forums...course downtown has changed so much since I've been there last.

Pittsburgh man huh? All you have to do for that job is say "Go Steelers" and your in:) Maybe I'll apply if you don't get it...LOL...NOT

• 2 months later...
(edited)

End match:

I got the call on my vm yesterday. L left a message, "duma, I'm so sorry for calling you this late, but we want to hire you. Please give me a call."

The thing is, I took extra classes this summer. My work bent over backwards for my schedule. This guy calls long after he should have, so now I don't want the job.... but I know I need the experience. So....

(call law office): D: May I speak with Terry X please?

(ring)

L: DUMA!

D: Hi Terry, how are you?

L: Great! I feel like a schmuck.

D: Why?

L: Because I took so long calling you back.

D: Ah, that is okay, but it does lend to a problem.

L: Oh no, you found another job?

D: No, I have taken extra classes.

L: Oh. So... then you don't have any time during the day?

D: No, unfortionatly I don't. However, if you need someone full time in the fall, I could do that.

L: Well, we *might have to take you up on that. We will be in touch.

D: Okay, goodbye.

L: goodbye

Yeah.... he is a schmuck because I really would have liked to have worked for them this summer.... it is just too late now.

*might means never... at least that is what I am told.

Edited by duma

I've paid lots of $ for the classes, and I am beyond full refund. Also, if I don't take them now, then I would extend my day to graduation for another semester.

I had a similar situation occur, although I was just outta my first year and looking for legal work to replace a regular job. The firm that hired me waited till right around finals to confirm. Turned into a clerkship that lasted through the rest of school and was better training than anything learned in class.

If you're still interested, call him back in the fall. They may very well still have a position open (I'd guess very few students are left now that are looking and qualified). But definitely take the initiative.

This firm is one of the top firms in Cinci. I know it would have been the best thing for me to work for them, but it just can't happen now. I have to leave work (and like I said, they have worked with me for this summer), and my classes are just too much to work full time for them.

Thanks for the advice X. I will call them come fall. If they hire the other person who they interviewed (my study partner - who is also top 10), then I will know... of course they could hire someone else, but we found out there was just the two of us (she has an inside connection).

That isn't the company that Stanley Chesley works for is it? I had my car in for service the other day, and his Mclaren Mercedes SLR was in for a service at the same time.

Envy is the word I think I'm looking for.

:=:=:=:= ...what were you thinking!?!?!?!?!

*SMACK!!!!*

Earth to Duma! When would you ever get this chance again?!?!?!? Call him back right now and tell him you're on! Forget the other classes...who cares when you graduate!? Other job=bubkiss! As X said, experience is really important (I would argue more important than any class). What's the point in any of this if you've already turned your best position down?

This is just my opinion...I still (and probably will always) regret turning down a position in a Post-Production studio in Montreal while I was still at McGill...little did I know (**people about to go into an arts program at a college/university look away now**) that a B.A means jack in the real world and experience and contacts is what matters!

I may be slightly bitter/jaded... <_<

It is hard thing to turn them down. But they only wanted me for summer. I have a full time job that pays very well, and I have big bills. My current employer could just let me go if I try and leave for three months. What I needed from him was an early indication in the least, and a full time job at the most; they did neither.

The other negative for them, they do tort law. I am starting to think I want IP law. Arguably, I will gain more $ doing the IP law then the tort law. Of course experience is experience, but desperation removes complacency. I have my eye on Procter and Gamble. They are doing fall interviews, and I am going to play hard ball for them.

I just hope I don't end up jaded over this move, but at this point, I consider it the best decision. I'm 30 years old, and I don't have much time to finish educational avenues before I have to start reproducing. :)

(edited)

haha I dont know how close cinci is to columbus, but I have a cousin who is a year or two older than me, just graduated from law school. I don't know the company he works for(he's a corporate attorney) but he interned with the company one summer, went back for his last year of school and when he finished he got a job offer with that company starting off over 100,000.

um.. yea christmas at the grandparent's, he pulls up in a nice new audi

Edited by NOFX

haha I dont know how close cinci is to columbus, but I have a cousin who is a year or two older than me, just graduated from law school. I don't know the company he works for(he's a corporate attorney) but he interned with the company one summer, went back for his last year of school and when he finished he got a job offer with that company starting off over 100,000.

um.. yea christmas at the grandparent's, he pulls up in a nice new audi

I'm green for you...

Although I'm bad when it comes to envy...I have friends who made themselves rich by barely even lifting a finger...and I have friends who live paycheck to paycheck and still have a blast...I work too much, have no fun and still don't have much money... :(

You did the right thing. They waited 2 months to call you back. Sounds like he/they could take a lesson from you on organizational/preparedness skills.

<Little life lesson forthcoming> One thing I've learned in life, you make your decisions and move on. Can't look back and second guess what coulda, shoulda, woulda happened. Make your decisions with as much information as possible. Which is what you did in this case.

Like I stated above you made the right decision. You'll be rewarded for it somewhere down the line. :peace:

Remember how worried you were about perceptions when the lost direction debacle came up? Isn't it ironic how quickly things change.

BTW, 'maybe' doesn't mean no. That's an opportunity to take control of the situation or at least let the other person know you are decisive. A simple, "Define maybe" is usually all it takes to get a yes/no or at least a better understand of the situation.

If they're still wishy-washy, use numbers. On a scale of 1-10, give me an idea of where we stand. My IP lawyer taught me that. He never says yes or no. He always uses percentages.