How bad does this sound?

duma

(edited)

(NOTE DATE: see this post for the update)

I have an interview with a law firm tomorrow. As is my custom, I like to drive out the directions before hand.

The directions that guy gave me over the phone when we set up the interview, were lost due to it being on my kitchen table, and my wife hating when I leave things on there. I didn't figure it was a big deal considering there is always mapquest.

Mapquest led me astray, so I came back home to try it again. I realized that I had put the wrong zip code in, so I used the correct one, and went to drive it again. This time I met another obstacle. The highway into Cinci is a parking lot. I sat there for 1 hour before I decided to go up (wrong way) the entrance ramp (btw, the highway is still closed per the news).

When I got home, I felt I really needed to know my directions were right. So, I called the law firm hoping to speak to a secretary that answers these questions all the time. Such as my day has been, the person asked "who may I ask is calling?" I gave him my name, and then I get a response from the lawyer I first spoke with. After that, the coversation went like this:

Lawyer: Hello Brian, how are you?

Me: I'm fine. I just needed to get directions to your place again. My wife tossed the first one I took down, and mapquest led me astray.

L: I see. I thought our apointment was tomorrow.

M: It is, I just wanted to make sure I was going to the right place. (Gives story above)

L: Oh okay - gives directions again.- I will try and email you a map.

M: Hey thanks.

Now I feel like I just screwed up because I lost the directions in the first place. Please tell me I am wrong. :(

Edited by duma

lol!!!

but if it were that bad, don't you think he would have said "you know, on second thought, don't worry about the directions. we won't be needing you anymore."

do what you can to push this out of your mind asap.

Tough call. On one hand, it could work to your favor by showing that you're a planner/preparer, and you were able to proactively solve a problem.

On the other, it shows that you might not be reliable. Lawyers are busy people, so the last thing they want to do is explain something they've explained already.

Yah, life happens. If they're smart, theyre instead seeing :

1- you pre-drive the route to remove anything unexpected from your goal

2- instead of trying to "wing it", you called for better/replacement directions.

Hmmm preplanning and thorough! Good stuff for all that lawyering business :)

Or you could have asked him an alternate way, i would have told him i tried to pre-drive the directions and it was a zoo. Is there alternate way to go?

Easy way to get new directions.

But i don't think that it's bad, but to be honest it's not going to help the cause.

(edited)

I dont think it helps the cause either, and I really hope they view it as a positive thing. During the interview, if I can spin this in any way, I will.

Here is the email he sent me:

Hi Brian,

I've attached a map of downtown. Follow the red squiggly line from 75 to Fifth St.

Turn right on Elm St.

Turn left of 2nd St.

Turn left on Main

Turn left on 3rd St.

The garage will be on the right. Bring your parking ticket up and we'll stamp it for you. If the machine says the garage is full, press the talk button and tell them that you have an appointment at (removed).

See you tomorrow.

Terry

Any advice on something to say back (besides thanks)?

Edited by duma

(edited)

As a side benefit, the guy never game me his last name when he first called. I got the email and it has his full name. That is great because just as I had thought, he isn't listed on the website as being a member of the firm. I've since done some research on him.... +1 for this error I just made.

Oh, and Mag, when I considered doing as you suggested, I was afraid he would ask me what I have. Also, I figure it is easier to remember the truth (should it come up) then to remember a lie. What can I say, I had a lot of time to think about it while I sat on the highway for an hour.

Edited by duma

Things like this happen and there's a million different ways to handle it.

I wouldn't look for an opportunity to plead your case but if the subject comes up, focus on the fact that you were being pro-active in trying to find the place, a problem occured and your best available option was to make an embarrassing phone call. You like to take problems head-on, even if they are embarrassing at times. They do not deter you... you animal!!

What does it show:

You are unorganized (may or may not be true, trying to play devil's advocate)

You are proactive

You can objectively look at all of your options

You aren't afraid of embarrassing conversations to resolve problems

How will you learn from it or what will you do to prevent it from happening again:

Buy a PDA

Keep a special 'work related' notebook

Cut the wife's fingers off

Inspect all trash bags before allowing them to be thrown out

shut phone service off

I don't think it's a big deal. A normal person will have problems like this. An unorganized, unmotivated reactive person would call 10 minutes before the interview.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!!!

What does it show:

That is my fear. It also couldn't be further from the truth.

My wife's tossing the paper is actually a series of misfortionate events. She didn't know she was tossing it because it was among things that I often toss myself (long story).

I like how you spun it. I don't plan to ever speak of it again, unless it should come up. I'm just going to email him back and say thanks (and not mention that I shouldn't have needed to call him in the first place). As a side note, darn that guy for asking me who was callling.

Things like this happen and there's a million different ways to handle it.

I don't think it's a big deal. A normal person will have problems like this. An unorganized, unmotivated reactive person would call 10 minutes before the interview.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!!!

Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't worry about over-analyzing it. What's done is done. Besides, if they're looking for a reason to hang you out to dry before they even talk to you (I do realize how competitive the job market is, of course) that's an indication of pain to come. With a side of agonizing workplace ethics.

But bottom line, the important thing is that you make it to the interview and on time. That's the big thing.

Don't worry about it. You're being responsible about it.

Depending on the size of the firm, they're gonna be more interested in what you know about them and what your future plans are, and how that fits in with their firm. Smaller firms are gonna look closely at personality too.

And obviously how well you've done in school.

Good luck.

(edited)

I'm inclined to agree with Duke. Don't mention it during your interview but if it does come up, apologize and thank the gentleman for taking time out of his busy (be sure to put a little emphasis on busy) schedule to give you directions. As does Duke, I too suggest that you don't sweat it. By now the gentleman has probably forgotten that you called for directions. With all that said, do learn the lesson and become better organized especially as it relates to very important matters.

Good luck, Duma. I'm rooting for you.

Edited by pavid

Joo can do eet!

Let us know how it turns out!

The very fact that you called to confirm the address the day before the interview shows that you like to be prepared, and a good lawyer is one that is prepared for everything, so if anything this is definitely a plus not a minus, but it seems you figured this out already...so i'll say good luck! I'm sure I'll be needing your services after FF...

Okay.... thanks everyone!

This is a very nice firm that I consider myself lucky to even get an interview with. I don't expect to get it, but I didnt need this to be what I focus on as my mistake.

And Mr.X, this is just a summer clerking job that I hope turns into a full time job. Of course, that was a high goal.... uhg!

i dont think it's bad at all. If anything it is good. It shows your are motivated enough to find your destination one day ahead of time, so you do not have to make him wait for you if your late.

Just imagine your the boss doing hiring and a guy calls you the day before and asks you and gives you the story.

Now imagine, being the boss and the guy calls you an hour before the interview....

What does it show:

That is my fear. It also couldn't be further from the truth.

Then have confidence in yourself! Honest people make mistakes. Dishonest people never make mistakes.

My wife's tossing the paper is actually a series of misfortionate events. She didn't know she was tossing it because it was among things that I often toss myself (long story).

Don't even bring it up... unless you are already working for them and you're laughing about the story.

Polish your shoes, not your story.

Good luck!

Who cares? You were honest.

Take a deep breath, keep being honest, and get that job.

You still have an interview. That's what counts. There's not a person on God's good Earth that doesn't know what it's like to lose something.

If a simple phone call to verify the location of the place costs you your job....well I'd say you have another job waiting for you somewhere that you'll find.

*I just read some more of the topic (I tend to flip down and post before I'm done reading)...basically, what Duke said above.

99% of the things we worry about never come to pass. Might be reading in to it to much. Feeling paranoid??

You were honest. That speaks the loudest. If you can..show up early. When he was Governor of Texas, George W. Bush once hired a young man on the spot for being 20 min. early for his appointment.

I wouldn't read to much into it. The fella probably emailed you the directions and forgot all about it. If he didn't...well then thank him for taking a moment of his time to email the directions to you.

You will do fine! :)