Other hobbies

mrX

So what other hobbies do people have around here?

For the longest time, I maintained a reef aquarium, but I needed a hobby that could take some neglect, ie not having time for it due to work. At Christmas 2004, the wife bought me an RC plane. It's been all fun since. :)

Some pics of my fleet:

My first "real" plane the Multiplex Easystar (the one the wife got me was a toy really):

ezstar.jpg

My second plane, and one of the more enjoyable, the GWS Slowstick:

slowstick.jpg

Christmas 2005 was good to me and brought me these 2 planes, the GWS Estarter and the Multiplex Microjet:

planes.jpg

And selling the reef paid for this very expensive set of plastic and electronics, the Align Trex Heli:

trex.jpg

Flying the planes is extremely relaxing. The heli is another story. Those things are darn hard to control.

Anyway, that's what I'm up to when I'm not working, or spending time with the family, or configing servers, or actually playing CS:S. What's everyone else doing?

Please bring above to next family reunion.

I've always wanted to do this. Dad bought a helicopter way back in the day...he never really did much with it and of course I wasn't allowed to touch it.

How much for a good starter plane?

Didn't Jeremy get a helio a year ago or something?

mrX
GC Alumni

I'll likely bring the heli and one of the planes to Fragfest this year. That hotel has a great parking lot for flying. I'm insured a couple of ways, so they shouldn't give me problems. I'll bring them to the family reunion also. I bring them with me everytime I go there as it's such a great place to fly.

I had Justin flying the slowstick and easystar within 15 minutes of explaining controls. He did ok for the most part, nosed the easystar into the ground from about 150 feet at prolly 50 mph and ran the slowstick into the transformer on the power poll, but did no irreparable damage. Had fun doing it. :)

Jeremy told me he didn't get a heli.

The planes themselves are relatively cheap as they are various forms of foam. The GWS planes are both $35 each, and the Multiplex planes are around $65 each as they are a more advanced and damage proof foam.

The expense comes in the electronics. For a decent radio, receiver and servos, it's around $200. Speed controllers range from $20-$60 depending on whether it's brushed or brushless. Then there're batteries and chargers, which range from $40 for a single Nimh battery and charger, to $100+ for a single Lipoly battery and charger.

I'd guess any of the planes I have could be airborne for around $250 to $400 depending on equipment. They are all very manueverable and not "toys". I consistently switch electronics from plane to plane to keep costs down. The easystar and slowstick are by far the most popular beginner planes around, and are very fun to fly and durable. Also very cheap to repair.

The heli is another story. They are very hard to fly and very expensive. I've gone thru 23 cycles on my batteries (around 6.5 hours of flight time) and still have yet to get it more than a foot or two off the ground with any real sense of control. It takes a lot of time to learn to fly them.

Writing, drawing, and music composition. I plan to master them all one day, mwahahahahaha!!!! I'll be the artist to end all artists. Everyone I show my written works to say they are excellent, many of which are English profs, editors and people who read many books. It's probably my strongest point.

Next would be art. I find real-life so much easier than anime because anime has serious proportion problems all the time. I still have lots of room for improvement in my drawing skills. (This would be my 1st year anniversary of using photoshop on comp to do my images.)

Supposedly, the lyrics I write are great - alot of people think they are poetry at first, before I tell them it's a song because of the immense use of imagery in the words. I'm learning to play an electric piano :/ It's the closest thing I got to getting the sounds I want. I'm not very good at it, though.

My 2 oldest each have a remote controled plane, they fly them at my In-Laws farm... They are alot of fun.. Oh yeah there is a RC Airport down the street from me at Lunkin Airport, there are people there almost every day using the mini runway..

My hobbies that are are non-computer related would have to be juggling and yoyoing. I am not that good at juggling, but I have been yoyoing for about 7 years... and in the year 2004, I was 1st place in the midwest :D

If you'd like to see videos of what a heli like mine can do, see:

http://www.users.one.se/tomafran/ezfly/Video/?S=A

Look for the "3D" video as that shows some more advanced moves. The others are basics.

I watched the e-heli obsticle by mistake. The guy that finished the obsticle won 900,000 Yen...which is only $7,557.27 but that's still a nice chunk a change.

my hobies are, drawing, listening to music, exercising/running, skating/hockey...that's all I can think of.

Did some RC cars one time. The build your own type, they were pretty fun. I had a buggy that accidently went down the stairs and broke in half, never fixed it after that.

As a kid, my dad bought a glider wanting to get into RC aircraft. I remember vividly when we went to the park (he gave me some of those little balsa wood planes to try to appease me) and he launched that sucker with a HUGE rubber band. Did fine while it was in the air, asked him if I could try, of course he said no it was too hard for ME. I had to lmao when 5 min later he nose dived the thing into the ground and broke it in half.

They look like they'd be a blast to get into, but between, work, family, comps, remodeling, and slave driver fatty I don't think I'd ever have time to put the battery in, much less fly it.

I have that incredible helicopter video that was posted around here some time ago saved at home.

Is it in your list above? The one I'm talking about is absolutely incredible....the thing looks like a bug.

Found it:

http://www.ni.bekkoame.ne.jp/yskyou/data/a...lydemo_2004.wmv

Homer posted this a long time ago. Amazing. Is it in that list up there?

Team Associated rules! I had an RC-10 (buggy car) for years with various modifications for on-road and offroad racing and action. I had different suspension setups, motors, gears. Switching could take more than hour depending on what you swapped so I mostly kept it as an offroad buggy. My dad and I would drive down the road and it would go about 35 for 10 minutes until the batteries started to fade.

Now, I put my money into outdoors activities:

Shooting: I enjoy target shooting whether it's with a target pistol, full-size hand gun, assault rifle or shotgun. I am better than proficient with all of these, but I would like to be able to afford to get competitive.

Hiking/camping: I paid my way through high school (boarding school) and college so I lived like a peasant until I graduated college. Then I started buying all of the stuff I never had! Like a sleeping bag (fall/spring camping in Indiana is suxor without a sleeping bag). I also bought a Mountain Hardware tent, Gregory pack, MSR dragonfly stove, water purifier...everything!

Mountain bike: I've got a Canondale and love riding my bike.

But shooting sports are a passion!

m4a1.jpg

kimber_45.jpg

mrX
GC Alumni
I have that incredible helicopter video that was posted around here some time ago saved at home.

Is it in your list above? The one I'm talking about is absolutely incredible....the thing looks like a bug.

The one in that video is nitro powered. The ones in the link above are all electric I believe.

That obsticle course where the guy wins the money is great controled flying.

skateboarding. today was particularly fun.

this was the result of some dude being lost and deciding to make an abrupt turn (in front of me) at about 20 mph. on a personal note, had this happened a year or so ago, i woulda thrown my deck at the guys car and whooped em when he jumped out. thanks .gc. :)

mrX
GC Alumni

I've always wanted to learn to play an acoustic guitar (have tried electric), but have learned that I'm just not that musically inclined. It's a special talent to have the ear and dexterity to play a guitar.

(edited)

Those RC copters remind me of drunk dragonflies :freak3:

If you are allowed by the hotel, please do bring one of those RC planes or your chopper. That would be awesome to watch whilst not gaming :peace:

I had a teacher named Mrs. Szabo...

Edited by Chimmpp

I can almost play mine like an electric... when it's plugged in and sounds cooler with a pedal.(all borrowed from a friend) Electric is a lot easier...

i want this:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JEM7V

Only because of the handle... :D

My mother bought me one of those, thinking I wanted to be a musician, when really it's my smallest hobby of all. I never did use it. I left it under my bed when I moved out, haven't heard about it since, I'm sure she's pretty sad about it. I hate getting expensive gifts that you know you won't use.

• 2 weeks later...
mrX
GC Alumni

Found it:

http://www.ni.bekkoame.ne.jp/yskyou/data/a...lydemo_2004.wmv

Homer posted this a long time ago. Amazing. Is it in that list up there?

Opposite of the spectrum: http://media.putfile.com/Raptor-heli-dead-chicken-dance

Saw that again tonite. Laughed even knowing the expense that went down there. :)

I saw a tractor trailer cruising down the road. As I was passing the truck I looked over and saw:

Trouble

painted in cursive on the door! And a woman looked over at me! She was prolly 40 though.