Need advice / opinions

s0l1tud3

Sup guys.. before I blah blah blah here, this is my specs

AMD 64 3200

3GB of 3200 DDR

300Watt PSU

GPU: ???? <---- that's the problem

Sound Blaster Audigy <---- i think this has problems too

The original card I have in the PC is a NVIDIA 6600 OC by BFG. I have no problems with the GPU playing CS:S. I get good playable FPS. When I play BF2, that's where the fun begins. It will load up fine, play alright, good FPS. On first person, graphics are ok but when I ride a vehicle and change view, holy cow, everything looks weird.. like somebody turned on gamma to full bright.

After going thru the storage, in my "GPU" box, I found my old 9800pro 128 and a 9600SE 256. I took the Nvidia GPU out, installed the 9600SE. Everything works great on CS:S, but once again with BF2 there's a problem. It will load up and everything.. I can play for about 2 mins then it locks up. I'm thinking bout taking the 9600 and putting in my 9800 to test BF2 again.

That's all for the GPU, now to the sound card.

For some reason, whenever I update or reinstall the drivers for that card, I get the blue screen of death. One of the most prevalent error is " non page file blah blah". Right now the card is working, drivers installed with the latest.

Possible problems *need advice*

- IRQ conflicts?

- Sound card is too old, need to just junk it?

- need more cooling? I have a Zalman CNPS 9500 for the CPU

Options:

- Is to use my onboard Audio*Realtek ugh* vice the Audigy. Maybe it will eliminate the possilbe conflicts.

- bought 2 GPU ATI X1600 and XFX GeForce 7800 GS <---- standing by for it from FEDEX

- bought a 500 Watt PSU anticipating the 2 new GPU

Thanks in advance guys

Have you tryed reinstalling BF2, or formatting? Best bet is to try formatting since you cant upgrade your drivers. It sounds like it is either a driver error or a game error. And the ATI card locking up is either cooling, or some sort of error you are getting. It could be a bunch of different things though but start with formatting.

Does the video artifact at all? Are there pixels of the display that are not showing the proper image? Like a color on the opposite end of the spectrum for instance, or is it only getting really bright? Artifacting can be a heat issue so upgrading the cooling is never a bad idea. But you definitely have to start with uninstalling and reinstalling bf2. Look on their forums too to see if other people are having the same issue because you might need a specific driver and not just the newest one. Next to Civilization IV, BF2 is quite possibly one of the buggiest games ever. In reference to your sound issue, creative drivers suck. But, if you are having video AND audio problems there is always a chance your windows is corrupted and reinstalling that could help too.

(edited)

Thanks for the advice guys... well after i posted the topic, i bought:

500 watt PSU

bought a ATI x700 cause i can't wait for the other 2 cards that i ordered

i played BF2 again, still same problems

- Cobalt

nah, there's no artifacts at all whenever i play it. the funny thing, when i was using my old Nvidia 6600, i had no problems at all. game runs fine but slow but no hangups or anything.

the problem started when i installed ATI cards in. Windows actually gave me an error message.. god I wished i wrote that down.. but it's an ati dll.

next step...

goign to dl an older version of the ATI driver maybe that will fix it

AND i will re-install BF2

*Update

I reinstalled BF2... it load pretty good, played about 8-10 of it.. then it happened again.

I took the screenshot of the error message

HERE

so it's the ATI driver then?

any takers?

Edited by s0l1tud3

Lets see... that 9600SE is worse than the card I bought 4 years ago and the 9800 pro is alot better. I dont know why you would even try that 9600SE.

You defintely need more power than 300 watts and if your swaping video cards around, to get the best performance, I usually format my machine and put a fresh copy of XP on to make sure all the previous drivers are gone..

Also, I'm not sure if upgrading from a 6600 to an x700 is really an upgrade at all

changed the display driver to an old driver.

still the same...

what i don't get is, how come everything works fine when i play other games, but when it's BF2, my pc seems to go nutz?

Im done trying to fix this. I guess I will never play BF2 till I get my new Nvidia cards.

Thanks guys for the advice and suggestions

I must add my "reformat/reinstall Windows" voice to the crowd, because even when you uininstall drivers, they tend to leave stray stuff in the registry and on the HDD, that can mess things up for subsequent driver installs and/or hardware changes.

This is especially true when you switch chipset brands, like going from Audigy to AC97 or NVidia to ATi...

can't say much about bf2 cause i don't play it but maybe you can take a screenshot of what's happening?!

sup dude.. here is the error message that i get HERE

- for the reinstall windows, yeah im really thinking bout doing that. can't do it right now, need to computer for work related stuff...

thanks for the suggestions guys

clearly that's a display driver issue...

good luck with the format/re-install when you get a chance.

Even before I left for work today, i can't help myself to see if i can play BF2 lol. I downloaded and installed different drivers. Once again, it will load up fine.. i get to play 5-10 mins of it, then it locks up.

Im gonna hate life tomorrow when I go back home. I think I'm finally going to format and reinstall windows, if it's still the same, I'm going to junk all my ATI cards... *standing by for "send it to me" messages* hahaha

Cause I started having this problem when I installed any ATI based gpu's...

umm in your first post you stated your problems initially were with the 6600...

i'll take the 9800pro. :)

umm in your first post you stated your problems initially were with the 6600...

i'll take the 9800pro. :)

Yeah it was but it's different. with the 6600, i can play BF2 without any lockups, the only problem with it, whenever i ride in any vehicles and I changed views, the textures around me turns white or its like super HDR lol.. First person view, no problems...

about the 9800pro... hmmm :tongue2: :D

I give up... I'll just put the BF2 box on display at home lol.. Guess WoW, CS:S and Battlefront II will be used and abused hehe

Lunk is referring to our guidelines.

Linked up top. Many never see them. Thanks! :D

Lunk doesn't even normally talk to new GC until they've been through the branding process... you should be honored.

I'm not as mean as he would lead you to believe. :D

(edited)

fixed.. sorry bout that...

btw, I got it to work.. it's my gpu overheating.. so after work, drove to the good old compusa, bought me a gpu cooler...

Thanks for the suggestions

:-p

Edited by s0l1tud3

How did Mrs. Jones know the Devil was literate? "He looked well-red"

... sorry...

If your card (obviously both 6600 and 9800) were overheating, it sounds like the case might need improvement in it's venthilation, so the fans aren't blowing reheated in-case air against the heatsinks. You may even have to switch to water-cooling, to get the heat out of the case without putting in so many case fans that your computer sounds like a jet engine...