Rates

Silo

Basically, "rate" is your download speed in bytes. "cl_cmdrate" and "cl_updaterate" are the number of updates per second sent to and from the server. Try setting rate to 25000, and each of cmdrate and updaterate to 100. Switch on net_graph 3 to check for choke/loss. If you get some, decrease your cmdrate and updaterate until choke goes to 0 most of the time.

yep, like mookie said. make sure your console is enabled (options -> keyboard -> advanced -> enable developer console). once that is, press the ~ key (above tab) to bring down the console. these are the commands mookie mentioned that you'll want to play with:

rate

cl_cmdrate

cl_updaterate

there is no magic setting. everyone's computer and connection is different, so it's up to you to find the right setting. you want to adjust cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate together and you want them to be the same. for example:

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 100

check your net_graph 3. if you have ANY choke, subtract 5 from both values. try:

cl_cmdrate 95

cl_updaterate

ANY choke? subtract 5 again. keep doing this until you have 0 choke in heavy firefights. by the time i was done doing this, my update and cmdrate are both at 40.

cl_cmdrate: how many updates you send to server (Hz). Actual updates sent will not exceed your FPS by much.

cl_updaterate: how many updates you receive from server (Hz). Actual updates will not exceed the tickrate of the server (33, 66, 100).

rate: how many B/s the server should send to you, at most. Most servers will not exceed 25000 or 30000. If you have a slow connection (i.e. you are unable to download at 25kB/s) then you'll need to reduce your rate.

cl_cmdrate: how many updates you send to server (Hz). Actual updates sent will not exceed your FPS by much.

cl_updaterate: how many updates you receive from server (Hz). Actual updates will not exceed the tickrate of the server (33, 66, 100).

rate: how many B/s the server should send to you, at most. Most servers will not exceed 25000 or 30000. If you have a slow connection (i.e. you are unable to download at 25kB/s) then you'll need to reduce your rate.

Thanks Mookie

This topic couldn't have been put up at a better time, having been able to run happily with both my rates at 100 since late 2004, I hop on scopeless on Saturday and find my choke's up at 15 and popping up to 40 in firefights.

Dropped my rates to 65 and smoothness again.

Thanks for the guidance above.

(edited)

this rate thing drives me crazy I can never ever get it right? I always have to adjust?

my comp is a p4 3.2 1gig ram ati 9550

every server is different for me scopeless to out west my choke changes maybe even the time of day effects it?

I know for a fact that my hits are not registering and it is hit or miss sometimes everything registers and other times blood splatters and I hear bullets hit but no damage? choke is 1-2 to 5-7 normal; in flashes or fights sometimes can go above 40

I will post a speed test image

test.jpg

any advise or opinions on how to get a stable rate would be helpful! it gets old always adjusting rates it feels like I am chasing something that I will never be able to stablize?

I have wondered if I run programs or slow myself down on purpose will I be more in synch with the game? what I think is that the network sees me first and the enemy bullets hit me because server sees me first? if I slow myself down would network server then see two people come around corner at the same time?

edit>

also have video settings low hdr off and show shadows=on screen size 600x800

there are no running programs other than windows and drivers

I drefrag and run anti everything once a week

Edited by w8t4time

All we really need for your info atm w8t8time is these settings:

rate

cl_updaterate

cl_cmdrate

On a guess, try rate 25000

cl_updaterate 55

cl_cmdrate 55

make sure net_graph3 is enabled. Occasional spikes in choke up to 10 are fine. Loss should never go over 0.

If you maintain 0/0 loss/choke, then as stated above slowly increase each.

If you get loss, back off updaterate. If you get choke, back off cmdrate.

(edited)

well I have defaulted to

rate 25000

cl_updaterate 101

cl_cmdrate 101

just got sick of always adjusting so went to default ticrate 100 settings?

I think if i lowered both to 80 it is better but why do they always have to be changed and adjusted? it drives me crazy thats all! I have been lowering and raising these levels ever since reading about them a year ago just seems like a never ending battle!

with my set up it should be great and I really shouldn't have to adjust anything maybe if I could get a better upload speed? but that seems to be my only downfall in terms of having a nice set up for gaming online?

<edit

I am just venting a little with all servers at a default of 101 I have found that most will peak at the 100 update but the cm rate really doesn't get above 70 here are some screen shots

rate3.jpg

rate2.jpg

rate1.jpg

you know maybe just maybe typing all this is helping me get a grasp maybe all is locked into the fps?

Edited by w8t4time

yes, your choke and cmd rate are associated with FPS.

It isnt all due to your bandwidth.

Theres many factors.

you cant run 100/100 on a 66 tic server ( common server)

you wont hold 100/100 unless the server can.

Same advice holds true w8t8time..if you getting choke or loss at 100/100 LOWER THEM THEY ARE TOO HIGH FOR your current situation.

Lower yours, then leave em. No need to keep messin with them once you are k.

If you're getting choke then odds are at some point between you and the server the network just can't handle the throughput. Ideally you want the highest in/out, but if you're just looking for a stable set of rates you should go lower rather than higher. 30/30 or 50/50 will probably play just fine. Also, experiment with reducing your "rate" instead of the other two, sometimes you can have problems if this is set too high. If you're having registration issues like quick bits of snap-back (i.e. pull a nade, nothing happens, fire and no ammo spent, etc.) try increasing your cl_cmdback from 2. This should reduce the chances that something you do just gets lost. The only thing is you won't be able to do this on a server with CSP or zBlock. Also this won't do anything about shots you fire right before death not registering, that's all about the way lag is handled.

does this make me an easier target with lower rates?

Should not make much difference, all it should do is force your own machine to interpolate players more.

Oh and you could probably run your cmdrate higher, it might make a difference if you have FPS appreciably higher than 50, and probably will not cause you to choke (your updates sent are much smaller than those received).

cm rate really doesn't get above 70

Your out rate will not go much over your FPS. You should notice the two staying pretty close together. This should not cause any choke. I'd assume the reason is that CS:S would only poll your input once per frame.

sorry silo hope you don't think I hijacked your thread not an intention of mine! your question just happened to be mine also!

hey I am playing better with

cl_updaterate 50

cl_cmdrate 65

thank you all this thread helped a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the only way i get rid of choke is by settting my updaterate and cmdrate to 20/25. anything above that i get major choke about 40-50 range. is there a reason for this? i mean, cs is very playable but i wonder sometimes if i could up those rates people wouldnt be able to come around a corner and kill me b4 i even see them.

the only way i get rid of choke is by settting my updaterate and cmdrate to 20/25. anything above that i get major choke about 40-50 range. is there a reason for this? i mean, cs is very playable but i wonder sometimes if i could up those rates people wouldnt be able to come around a corner and kill me b4 i even see them.

Make sure your rate is set high enough, 25000 (25kB/s, ~250kbps) should be ideal. If you're still getting choke then your connection to the server just can't run higher rates.