Beer. Do you like it? What kind? Suggestions For People?

Guest Dude-

I don't really drink the different beers to be trendy, it's just that I drink quite often so I need something to break the monotony once in a while. Usually only have those kinds of beers when I'm just having a couple, at a restaurant or brewery, or when I'm grabbing a six for a special occasion. If I'm going hard, I stick to Bud and Heineken. And shots of Patron (the ones I took last night are still working me over right now).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really drink the different beers to be trendy, it's just that I drink quite often so I need something to break the monotony once in a while. Usually only have those kinds of beers when I'm just having a couple, at a restaurant or brewery, or when I'm grabbing a six for a special occasion. If I'm going hard, I stick to Bud and Heineken. And shots of Patron (the ones I took last night are still working me over right now).

Willkillyou and beer? Well, 'nuff said.

(edited)
We'll forgive you for being young and full of vim and vinegar...

Other than that, I can only assume that you have no idea what you are talking about...

Like if I had been to a far off distant land, and been presented with the local, costly, intricate and time-honored delicacy, then turned my nose at it saying, "ugg, this taste like poop!"...

I suggest you gain an understanding of what real beer is, then gain an appreciation for it, then come and discuss your distaste for Guinness, based on its merits as a beer. It is sorta like me discussing my distaste for Limburger cheese. Yep, only had it coupleof times, don't get it, but I certainly wouldn't tell someone who'd been eating and appreciating it for a dozen year that it was crap...I'd be out of my league.

eh?

Guinness isn't a time-honored delicacy.. it's crapwater. Having an understanding of what "real beer" is has nothing to do with liking or disliking crapwater. And.... the limburger cheese/league thing.. with an attitude like that you probably think that I can't comment about like, the quality of a big mac because I'm not 700 lbs with congestive heart failure. Or I can't talk about bicycles because I never won the tour de france. Or I can't talk about a nice view of the outdoors, because I'm not a freakin giraffe and have inferior range of vision. :boo:

Edited by Wentz

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I would only let you use a little bit of that honey on beer. The rest would be going on French toast or peanut butter & honey sandwiches.

I haven't brewed for a couple of years, but I'd like to get a nice setup in my basement in the next year or two. I know what you mean about the fresh-by date is an incentive and a turn off. How long have you let your mead age? I didn't know that about it aging like wine.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
(edited)

Oregon Honey Beer is a great light beer with a nice sweet note (not overly powerful though). Available at Trader Joes, etc.

I honestly just cannot drink Bud or Miller for the life of me. 6 years ago, I couldn't drink anything but Bud or Miller. To be honest, at first I did force myself to drink "darker" beers. And even at like 18 years old, I still considered a Pale Ale to be very dark for my tastes. It wasn't until I started to shop at Trader Joes and was introduced to a lot more just regular ales that I became interested in lesser known brands and microbrews. The tastes were far far more complex, and there are hundreds, thousands, of choices so there is always something new to taste. As I drank more and more pale ales, IPAs, and ales, I eventually started to like stouts and bocks. I couldn't drink a Porter if my life depended on it a few years ago, but nowadays they are like drinking coffee.

I am also obsessed with a cold beer. Even porters and stouts I require to be very cold. Im aware this is often not tradition. I keep a stock of atleast 12 ale glasses in my freezer, right in front of the blower, and I will often stick my beers into my freezer for 10 minutes as well. It is often very very hot here and I ride my bike to work so when I get home at 7:30, hot and sweating, thirsty and tired from the day...an extremely cold Full Sail Ale is next to absolute heaven. Course sometimes I pour the beer to quick and because its so cold, it fizzes and freezes. Then I just drink out of the bottle for a minute while it warms up a tiny bit.

Ill drink a Corona, in Mexico, on a sandy beach in the sun. I'll drink a Miller if Im camping in the mountains and its the only alcohol within 15 miles. Ill even drink a Bud if Im sitting in a boat casting a line and the bait shop only had Bud. Any other time...I need a beer that is a darker color then my pee.

Ive got a Samuel Smith Brown Hazlenut Ale waiting for me tonight. Cannot wait. In fact, its probably going to be the highlight of my day.

Edited by Dude-

Oregon Honey Beer is a great light beer with a nice sweet note (not overly powerful though). Available at Trader Joes, etc.

I honestly just cannot drink Bud or Miller for the life of me. 6 years ago, I couldn't drink anything but Bud or Miller. To be honest, at first I did force myself to drink "darker" beers. And even at like 18 years old, I still considered a Pale Ale to be very dark for my tastes. It wasn't until I started to shop at Trader Joes and was introduced to a lot more just regular ales that I became interested in lesser known brands and microbrews. The tastes were far far more complex, and there are hundreds, thousands, of choices so there is always something new to taste. As I drank more and more pale ales, IPAs, and ales, I eventually started to like stouts and bocks. I couldn't drink a Porter if my life depended on it a few years ago, but nowadays they are like drinking coffee.

I am also obsessed with a cold beer. Even porters and stouts I require to be very cold. Im aware this is often not tradition. I keep a stock of atleast 12 ale glasses in my freezer, right in front of the blower, and I will often stick my beers into my freezer for 10 minutes as well. It is often very very hot here and I ride my bike to work so when I get home at 7:30, hot and sweating, thirsty and tired from the day...an extremely cold Full Sail Ale is next to absolute heaven. Course sometimes I pour the beer to quick and because its so cold, it fizzes and freezes. Then I just drink out of the bottle for a minute while it warms up a tiny bit.

Ill drink a Corona, in Mexico, on a sandy beach in the sun. I'll drink a Miller if Im camping in the mountains and its the only alcohol within 15 miles. Ill even drink a Bud if Im sitting in a boat casting a line and the bait shop only had Bud. Any other time...I need a beer that is a darker color then my pee.

Ive got a Samuel Smith Brown Hazlenut Ale waiting for me tonight. Cannot wait. In fact, its probably going to be the highlight of my day.

voteban! I want a beer now! I like negra modelo over the Corona, but your enthusiasm is contageous.

How long have you let your mead age? I didn't know that about it aging like wine.

As long as possible - if it can last that long (which seems to be a problem). The longest I have managed

is about three years. That was consumed a few weeks back.

The guys at my local brew store are a bad influence - I go there to get advice, find out how good something

can be when it ages, and get sorta drunk in the process. Of course, the random gifts of honey help too!

I need a beer that is a darker color then my pee.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ain't that the case brother! I agree with the 15 mile limit, but.....

I like negra modelo over the Corona, but your enthusiasm is contageous.

Hangover Beer. Now we're talking.

Best consumed in a warm place with white sand. Of course, a warm day in the shade in the backyard

works just as well.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

Just had some Kona Brewing Company Fire Rock Pale Ale. Not bad. Its pretty light for a pale ale but still has enough bitterness to keep people like me happy. Very smooth. Went great with my homemade vegetarian pizza (no im not a vegetarian, im just sometimes to cheap to buy meat).

All the summer ales are out now, so it's a nice change of pace.

goose island summer ale is good, so is the sierra nevada summer ale, didnt like sam adams summer ale too much.

lieny's sunset wheat is nice summer beer too

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
Anyone had Boddington's Pub Ale? I tried it the other day and didn't really have any opinion. I found it very ordinary.

waste of money. too flat. worse then guiness and doesnt fade you enough either!!! However, I was in Utah for a week and they only have 3.2% beer there, except you can find bars that will sell Boddingtons, full strength. Of course not on tap. Its definitely boring IMO.

Ive been super busy or I would have posted more in here. I had a few different Utah beers, but by far the best one (not for taste, just label) was the Polygamy Porter. On the cover, it shows a dude with a bunch of chicks and it says "Why Have Just One?" Another part says "bring one home to the wives." All in all they tasted way to strong for how weak they were. A 6 pack literally only made me kinda sick and I had to pee a lot. But i was about as faded as a 6er or Coorslight. Hell, even less and it was harder to drink. Ill get some new pictures soon.

PS! Costco has had Mendocino Brewing Company 24 bottle variety packs for $20!!! Thats Red Tail Ale, White Hawk IPA, Eye of the Hawk Ale, and Red Tail Lager. Considering that the cheapest you can find these is $7 a sixpack, this is a serious steal. WhiteHawk is normally $8-9$ and Ive never even seen the Lager before. It was great! Perfect summer beer.

[PS! Costco has had Mendocino Brewing Company 24 bottle variety packs for $20!!! Thats Red Tail Ale, White Hawk IPA, Eye of the Hawk Ale, and Red Tail Lager. Considering that the cheapest you can find these is $7 a sixpack, this is a serious steal. WhiteHawk is normally $8-9$ and Ive never even seen the Lager before. It was great! Perfect summer beer.

Thatnks for the info. Gotta check that out when we go to Costco. That is, assuming that it has made it to

the midwest...

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bought a twelve pack of Newcastle [brown ale] back in June I think and only have one bottle left now. Take that FWIW. This stuff has a weird juice-like quality and tastes pretty weak as a brown ale. Even so, it still tastes OK with chili.