Beer. Do you like it? What kind? Suggestions For People?

Guest Dude-

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests

Well, first off let me say Im assuming that beer being a legal substance for people over 21, its ok to talk about. Second off, Im 22, a beer fanatic, and like talking about beer with other people.

So does anyone else here like beer? Ill start it off with my top 5 favorite breweries, and their respective "best" beer.

Lagunitas Brewing Company - Censored Ale or Undercover Shutdown Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company - Boont Amber Ale

Rogue Brewing Company - Brown Hazlenut Nector Ale or Dead Guy Ale

Samuel Smith Brewing - Brown Hazlenut Ale

Full Sail Amber Ale

This is what Im enjoying right now, as I have 6 cases in my kitchen. Sponsorship kickdowns.

picture.JPG

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do i like beer? thats a silly question :P

I enjoy many beers some local and some name brand.

If you ever are in milwaukee go here

http://www.ale-house.com/beer.php

its the milwaukee ale house, all beer is home brewed at the bar and is amazing.

Also New Glarus Spotted Cow is an amazing beer

http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/

But my tried and true beer is Miller Lite. That is only if I want to drink just to get drunk fast, its like water to me.

Other Favorites:

Lienenkugals(spelled wrong) Honeyweiss and Summer Brew

Rolling Rock Green Light and Regular

Sam Adams

Guiness

Capital Brewery Wisconsin Amber http://www.capital-brewery.com/

Red Stripe

Corona(cinco de mayo and warm summer days with chips and salsa)

All good for diff times of the year/diff occasions

I like an Amber beer myself. Most commonly out here in Denver I will be drinking a Fat Tire or an Avalanche Ale. Both are microbrewed out here, not sure how far they've gotten yet. Killians, Miller Light, Corona, and Dos Equis (don't think I spelled that right) you will find in my hands at times as well.

With the many micor-brews around, you can always find something good and interesting,

Always up for trying something - upon recommendation of the "local" home-brew store.

Anyway -

Newcastle (Draft), Dos Equis (XX and Lager, depending on which establishment I'm at),

Swithwick's (sp? Irish Ale I think), and Arrogant Bastard (if I'm ever back in the Seattle area),

Sam Adams (seasonal and others), and Killians. And, the list goes on and on and on...

I'll pretty much *try* anything - as long as it isn't o0o skunky.

I like an Amber beer myself. Most commonly out here in Denver I will be drinking a Fat Tire or an Avalanche Ale. Both are microbrewed out here, not sure how far they've gotten yet. Killians, Miller Light, Corona, and Dos Equis (don't think I spelled that right) you will find in my hands at times as well.

Bub -

Are any of your micro favs available at establishments such as Applejack's?

Or would it be considered smuggling if you brought some with you to FF06?

I'd be interested to try some..... :D

Bub -

Are any of your micro favs available at establishments such as Applejack's?

Or would it be considered smuggling if you brought some with you to FF06?

I'd be interested to try some..... :D

I don't even know what an Applejack's is, so I doubt it. I'm moving to Ohio at the end of June. I planned on bringing 2 or 3 cases of each with me to Ohio since I'm pretty sure I can't buy either there. I can pick up an extra case of each to share a FF if you like. We have an extra fridge, so hopefully I can keep them cool and good....

Karlovacko - Croatia

This is true. I had this in Croatia on tap and I loved it.

I am a big fan of Weißbier (wheat-beer). Paulaner and Erdinger are my favorites, served with a slice of lemon.

Andechs Doppelbock is the world's tastiest dark beer, with several hundred calories per serving and an 8 percent alcohol content.

New Glarus was mentioned and they have some good beers as well; Spotted Cow being the tastiest.

Leinenkugel's Red is good, and so is Point Amber (woo hometown brewery).

Guiness is great, but remember only to drink it draft, as it tastes terrible out of a can or bottle.

A british company named Young's makes some pretty good ales, including an ale called "Christmas Pudding" (has a fruity taste to it).

For something really exotic, try a Rasberry Lambic; which is a belgian specialty beer that combines the taste of rasberry and a lighter flavored beer (but with all the alcohol content of a normal beer).

Xterminator, if you like eastern european imports, consider these as well:

Arany Aszok - Hungary

Dreher - Hungary (wait, no, this beer is terrible)

Jelen - Serbia

MB - Serbia

(edited)

Central PA boy here.. so i was born and raised on Yuengling Lager (Oldest american brewery)..

BGB.. i really enjoyed Fat tire when i was living in Summit County

XTerminator.. i was a huge fan of Staropramen, and Gambrinos (sp?) when i lived in Prague.. Budvar was meh..

Edited by mohawk

I planned on bringing 2 or 3 cases of each with me to Ohio since I'm pretty sure I can't buy either there.

I love it - a man who thinks drinks ahead!

An extra case would be good, although I don't think I could drink it all. Maybe the board could help? :biglaugha:

That and a bottle of Yeager should set everyone up! :freak:

If you could fit an extra case in, that would be much appreciated. Let me know about the $$$

(I understand if there isn't enough room).

If I remember correctly, Applejack's is a big booze-mart (beer, wine, spirits) that is on the way out of

Denver (heading to Summit county). Rather interesting place with lots o' deals...

Central PA boy here.. so i was born and raised on Yuengling Lager (Oldest american brewery)..

Still have two bottles in my fridge. A present from a friend.....

I love it - a man who thinks drinks ahead!

An extra case would be good, although I don't think I could drink it all. Maybe the board could help? :biglaugha:

That and a bottle of Yeager should set everyone up! :freak:

If you could fit an extra case in, that would be much appreciated. Let me know about the $$$

(I understand if there isn't enough room).

I was thinking I would bring a case to share.....no $$$ required. If you'd like me to bring YOU a whole case you can reimburse. I have rented a 26' moving truck. I can squeeze a few cases in there. LOL I guess case is misleading too.... I usually by the 12 count of bottles.

If I remember correctly, Applejack's is a big booze-mart (beer, wine, spirits) that is on the way out of

Denver (heading to Summit county). Rather interesting place with lots o' deals...

Ah, ok, in context I know where you are talking about. I was thinking restaurants...like Applebee's or something. Any Liquor store in Denver (The grocery can only sell 3.2 here) will carry both Avalanche and Fat Tire.

I'm more of an imports kinda guy

Karlovacko - Croatia

Osijecko - Croatia

Staropramen - Czech

Zwiech - Polish

I had a russian beer called baltista or baltiska or something like that, it was really good.

Ah, ok, in context I know where you are talking about. I was thinking restaurants...like Applebee's or something. Any Liquor store in Denver (The grocery can only sell 3.2 here) will carry both Avalanche and Fat Tire.

They sell Fat Tire in Chicago now. Sadly, they don't sell any of the other New Belgium beers. I used to live in Boulder, and I loved Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle, and Bier de Weizen (don't know if that's how you spell it, it's one of the seasonal ones).

Now that I'm home, I love almost any Goose Island beer, it's a great Chicago microbrewery. I guzzle their IPA, I'm a big fan of IPAs in general. Their Summer ale and Honker's ale are great too. I also like Sierra Nevada's beers, and I really like some Chinese and Japanese beers (Tsing Tao, Asahi).

My go to beer in bars is Heineken (love it), and when I'm sitting around watching sports it's usually Bud or Old Style

I was thinking I would bring a case to share.....no $$$ required.

Now I see where we got confused. I guess we both though we meant something else.

If you were bringing some to share, that would probably be the best. It's not like there

is going to be nothing to drink, is there? I guess it is whatever works best.

Personally, I was thinking of bringing a bottle of Capt. Morgan's Private Stock down.

Still like the idea of the Yeager though - see how everyone performs when a few of

those bombs kick in!

Now that I'm home, I love almost any Goose Island beer, it's a great Chicago microbrewery.

Yep, Goose Island is OK - used to visit it quite a bit with my sister when we were in town.

Of course, for those "carry-out" moments, there was always Goos Island and (insert your

establishment name) pizza! Great combination.

Maybe we should have a pizza thread to go along with the beer thread :biglaugha:

Since I've been in the US I can't say I've tried a huge ammount of domestic beers, other than the standard Bud, Miller etc. I really need to try some of the smaller breweries wares, I've been mostly sticking to my European imports of Stella and Warsteiner, with my once monthly dose of Guiness.

I guess that's one of the differences between here and the UK, living out in the suburbs like I do, bars seem to only stock the "off the shelf" brands, rather than anything interesting. Whereas in the UK, you'll find most pubs stock guest ales or are owned by the breweries. If anyone heads off to the UK, there's a couple of ales you've got to try, London Pride, The Dog's B*****s, Badger Best (my local favourite).

Needless to say in most circumstances any beer is better than none.

Poor you. I hate places with small selections. I like to frequent an establishment called Sheffield's in Wrigleyville, they have about 100 different beers. I just sit there reading the menu/book that lists them all, trying to decide what to have next.

Finally a topic I can sink my liver into...

check this out...nifty.

http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/b...esbybrewery.php

I have so many favorites I can't even begin...oh wait, yes I can...my top 10:

1) Guinness (the kind they have on draft in Europe...not the American's pasteurized version)

2) Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock (dark, bottle fermented bock beer from Ayinger, Germany)

3) Bent River Chipotle pepper stout (yes, you read that correctly...great beer brewed locally by a brewmaster from my neck of the woods...he works for the legendary microbrew Bent River)

4) Rogue Shakespeare Stout

5) Two Brother's Hop Juice--Double India Pale Ale (from Chicago!)

6) Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat

7) Goose Island Hex Nut Brown Ale (I hear ya Witt)

8) Newcastle Brown Ale (keg, not bottle)

9) Samuel Adams Black Ale

10) Paulaner Hefe Weizen

That was kinda tough...

I am blessed however, to live in a town with three Bona Fide microbrews...we also have a local brewers club that puts out great stuff too.

As proof of my love, I have bottle caps in a collection from all the beers I've had during the past, oh decade...let's see, so far that is 4 gallon-sized ziploc bags full of bottle caps...

now, if I only had some way of keeping track of the countless pints from the tappers...

Cheers!

Edited by Tek-Almighty

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
(edited)

Nice! Beer drinkers unite! I too have been collecting all the beers Ive been drinking over the last couple months. Im up to 6 shelfs, each one 7 feet long, but Im halfway done on the 7th. Total its about 142 different beers, but unfortunetly its only the beers where I bought a bottle or was able to take the bottle home.

I will add that Im suprised there are some Double Bock fans here. I absolutely love Doppelbocks, especially in the winter (their season) when its cold and dreary out. 4-5 of those guys and you definitely are relaxed. Unfortunetly, maybe because I just havent drank enough of them, but 7 out of 10 Doppelbocks taste exactly the same to me. I really like the Trader Joes/Gordon Biersch double bock because its only $5 a 6 pack, its 8% or 8.5%, and its not quite as bad as drinking a chocolate stout.

Im definitely an Amber or Brown ale kind of guy, and I love trying knew things. I will also mention, the worst beer I have ever had in my life was Maudite. It was $7 for the bottle, and it tastes like honeysuckle flowers mixed with champagne and beer. I had 2 sips before I donated it to a less fortunate soul.

On Tap, my favorite would have to be Anchor Steam Ale or their Liberty Ale. In the bottle, I like it but its lacking in something. On tap, its got an amazing sweet overtone that just blends great with everything else.

Im also a big fan of spicey foods like Indian food, Mexican food, etc and IPAs (Indian Pale Ales) are incredibly bitter so they store well and they mesh well with the powerful spices.

But like I said. If you like really good beer, and you want to get a little tipsy without drinking much, the Lagunitas Undercover Shutdown Ale or Brown Shugga Ale are both 10%+ but taste wonderful. Most IPAs are more powerful in taste.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Edited by Dude-