Metric or Imperial?

anonymo

How do you measure?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

what about SI units?

Q: Does light have mass?

A: Of course not. It's not even Catholic!!!

Ok next person to point out the flaws of my poll gets hit with something heavy...I'll let them decide whether it weighs 10 lbs / 10 kilos / 10 stone

Nick gets away because he included a joke that I will use later today I'm betting...

I grew up using a mixture of Imperial and Metric, one of the delights of growing up in the UK where obviously we used the better system of Imperial but had to deal with Europeans and their desire for everything to be perfectly divisable by 100 because it was too complicated for them otherwise.

And then they made the decision in the late 90's that because we were all so similar (despite us using different measurements, currencies, languages and having been to war with almost every other European country at one time or another) we should adopt metric for almost everything except measuring distances on the road.

Everything changed for me when I took all my engineering classes. Metric, Celcius, is sooooooo much better for conversions and units.

I agree. But I wanted to vote for kelvin! lol

Everything changed for me when I took all my engineering classes. Metric, Celcius, is sooooooo much better for conversions and units.

I agree. But I wanted to vote for kelvin! lol

Lol same. I prefer metric system and still don't understand why America won't switch, just boggles my mind.

My math teacher lent some insight to why America won't switch.

To begin, the existing highways, roads, buildings, and everything that is built and measured using the Imperial system. Our clothing sizes of all sorts are based on the Imperial system. So many things in this country use the imperial system that converning the entire country to it would be ridiculous. It is easier for just the scientific and engineering communities to use it.

Edit: "Type Os"

Edited by Assassinator

I really fail to see why everyone loves the metric system so much for science. These days most actual computations are done by computers, and computers can't tell the difference; there will be rounding errors in either. The problem comes when people forget to use conversion factors, and the result is that sometimes when they don't even know what they're measuring using SI units they get lucky.

(edited)

At work, I use both Imperial and Metric. Depending on what I'm doing.

If I need to know the center of a circle (I work in a screenprint/embroidery shop) and I know that the embroidery hoop is 15cm across, I use mm's to position the needle in the center of the hoop prior to starting the machine. (It a little more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

If I'm setting up one of the screenprinting presses, I know that the shirt plattens are 15, or 16" wide, depending on the press. Therefore, I use inches to center the screen image.

With my computer, I use Celcius to measure the temps so I don't ment the doggone thing, but if I want to know if the temps outside will melt me, I use Fahrenheit. :blink::twitch:

For all other measurements, the Beer standard is liberably applied. :D

Edited by Wolfsblood