The Origin of Pwned and w00t...

whudats

Okay, so I know what they mean, but I never knew where they came from.

Did you guys know this?

"Pwned" - A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled "owned." When the computer beat a player, it was supposed to say, so-and-so "has been owned." Instead, it said, so-and-so "has been pwned." May also be used to your friends when they lose their keys, drop a cell phone or spill coffee on their new pants.

"W00t" - "w00t" was originally a truncated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in videogame communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement and extreme nerdiness.

"I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

I can remember people saying woot back in the Ultima Online days.. which is way before Half-life 1 and pretty much the rise of online FPS. I probably saw other people type it, but the first time I remember using it, I was trying to type woohoo really fast and woot came out. Ultima is pretty much D&D, so it does make sense.

I can remember people saying woot back in the Ultima Online days.. which is way before Half-life 1 and pretty much the rise of online FPS. I probably saw other people type it, but the first time I remember using it, I was trying to type woohoo really fast and woot came out. Ultima is pretty much D&D, so it does make sense.

First off. . .

/me loves teh NOFX, I listen to punk in drublic almost weekly.

I always thought woot was a corruption of the noises that the grunts made in warcraft II. It always sounded like they were saying woort woort woort. . . . The wow loot thing make sense too. . . .

Okay, so I know what they mean, but I never knew where they came from.

Did you guys know this?

"Pwned" - A corruption of the word "Owned." This originated in an online game called Warcraft, where a map designer misspelled "owned." When the computer beat a player, it was supposed to say, so-and-so "has been owned." Instead, it said, so-and-so "has been pwned." May also be used to your friends when they lose their keys, drop a cell phone or spill coffee on their new pants.

"W00t" - "w00t" was originally a truncated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in videogame communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement and extreme nerdiness.

"I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

Yah, I remember finding out about the Warcraft when I first starting playing on battle.net and I remember reading in some EverQuest book that woot stood for that. However, they didn´t say that it originated in D&D, I thought it just came from people raiding in EQ.