Would there be interest in a reading/lit forum?

farmerisme

Books/reading/lit forum  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We can start a book club farmer, I was just wondering if we had one the other day. I usually manage to get through a book every week or so, not including my school stuff. I just finished a book called Confessions of an Economic Hitman, it was pretty cool.

Yeah I used to read a ton, now I go thru a book every few weeks or so. Been reading mostly history lately but have made my way through a sampling of about everything out there. Just finished David Copperfield by Dickens.

What is confessions about witt? Read a book called 'Barbarians at the gate' about the hostile takeover of RJR Nabisco. Thought I wouldn't like the heavy economical stuff but it was really good.

It's about an economist who works for a Halliburton-type company. Basically, he goes to less-developed countries and convinces them to accept huge loans from the United States, then hire his company to build up the country. The money never leaves the United States, it's just transferred from the government to corporations. Then, the less-developed country is never able to repay their debts, so the US government demands oil, or to be allowed to build military bases there. It's a true story.

Ever since I took a history of WW2 class in college a few years ago I have been reading tons of WW2 books. Gotten through a bunch but the two that are next on my list are Flags of our fathers and Crusade in Europe (Eisenhower)... I have heard both are really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading up to the lake couple weeks from now.

Can you recommend a good read? I have all day to relax in an armchair for a week straight.

I like to read conspiracy novels, hostage situations, myteries, you get the idea.

So, if you guys could put some input into what I pick out when I go to the library, that would be appreciated.

(edited)
books RULE!

Lol, I'm more of a fantasy and sci-fi reader. Anyone that wants a book that in my opinion is underated read Lillith's Brood, which is the name of the three part trilogy by the late Octavia Butler. Also, the wheel of time, all the Shannara books, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Dune, etc.

And for anyone's that a fan of historical fiction try Gates of Fire, about the battle of Thermopolae, really great read.

Edited by Allanon754.gc

Jester, you should pick up a clancy novel or two if you have not read em... pretty good government/specialforces/conspiracy stories. He has some really good information and neat technology/military stuff. My favorites are 'rainbow six' or 'the sum of all fears'. Both of those are pretty fun easy reads. For something a bit harder (but still an awesome book) try 'in cold blood', a nonfiction story by Truman Capote.

Allanon, I used to read a bunch of fantasy stuff, 'wheel of time' was an awesome series.

Jester, you should pick up a clancy novel or two if you have not read em... pretty good government/specialforces/conspiracy stories. He has some really good information and neat technology/military stuff. My favorites are 'rainbow six' or 'the sum of all fears'. Both of those are pretty fun easy reads. For something a bit harder (but still an awesome book) try 'in cold blood', a nonfiction story by Truman Capote.

Allanon, I used to read a bunch of fantasy stuff, 'wheel of time' was an awesome series.

I'll pick up all 3, thanks Farmer.

Rainbow Six is a good book, and long- it'll keep you occupied. I read mostly non-fiction. I'm almost finished with Chuck Klosterman's "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoapuffs" which is sort of a social commentary. Next up is a book called "The Tipping Point" and after that I'm gonna finish "Everything Bad is Good for You." Once I'm done with those I've gotta head back to the bookstore.

I have not read any of those Witt, though I have thought about "The Tipping Point". I rotate between fiction and nonfiction. I tend to get weary of reading only one or the other. Every once in a while I need a easy action packed Steven King type book to fly through.

I just finished "David Copperfield" by Dickens... a very good book that speaks alot about the development of people in their youth. Dickens is so very good. Reminds me of Steinbeck.

Starting a collection of short stories by Nikolai Leskov. A lesser know Russian novelist from the 19th century. Something about the language and characters in Russian novels that appeals to me. I have read a few of these short stories and even though they are simple they are entertaining.

Next after that I am going to read a book "Citizens" by Simon Schama. It is a history of the French Revolution. Heard it is pretty good.

good fiction novel: "a drink before war" by dennis lehane. he's the guy that wrote "mystic river" and has a good angle with cynicism, mystery, and easy reading. if you like tom clancy, but want something a little less paramilitary, try this.

excerpt: Kenzie is explaining how he came to afford his overpriced Boston lawyer who goes for the high hundreds per hour. the lawyer was being blackmailed by a street gang. $500,000 in exchange for the compromising documents. Kenzie and his brother were going down to make the exchange, but this took place instead...impromtu.

For reasons I can't even remeber anymore, I brought Bubba along for the ride when I went down to Connecticut. After finding out that the blackmailers were a rogue group with no connections, no real muscle, and absolutely no juice with any politicians, we met two of them in a Harford high-rise. Bubba held one guy by his ankles out a twelfth floor window while I negotiated with the guy's partner. By the time Bubba's victim had voided himself, his partner had decided that yes, one dollar was a very fair settlement price. I paid him in pennies.