Help me pick a pruning point!

Fatty

I like to keep the members database somewhat "clean" around here. When I look at our total forum membership, I'd like to think that many of those are somewhat active, or at least were and are away for a while. I'd never want to remove a member who contributed to our boards in a big way, but then move on to do something else and might possibly come back to visit.

So, without any pride in our total number of members, which has reached over 1,000 again, I'm ready to chop chop.

Now, if I start a prune job that finds any members that registered before 12-31-2005, is in the "member" group, and has less than 5 posts, I come up with 207 members.

The main reason behind this is me not wanting to send emails out to people who have no intentions of being around or care about what's going on...perhaps they stopped in for a day or two, but really make no contributions to discussions, etc.

If I bump it up to "less than 10 posts" with the other above criteria, the number jumps to 282.

(I think the first time I did this back a while, I deleted nearly 300 accounts, I'll look for the topic)

Thoughts?

Ahh, found it: http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...=24875&hl=prune

Guess it wasn't as many as I thought.

Oh, after reading, I guess that was the second time.

While I like to see the number of registered forum users rise, that number doesn't really represent active users.

At least I'm consistant in my thinking. :P

Now, if I start a prune job that finds any members that registered before 12-31-2005, is in the "member" group, and has less than 5 posts, I come up with 2007 members.

Hi typo!

If I were to decide, I'd go with the 5 or less posts. But the way I see it, either way works.

If some old LuckyCharm or BlackOps or some other guild from the olden (original Mmmm) days happend across the server and came to the forums it would be cool to have the older dates preserved, but activity of 10 posts seems pretty reasonable for a threshold.

GC Founder

LOL 2007, ya, um, 207.

Ya, Chief, I highly doubt anyone that we even actually now in any depth posted less than 5 or 10 times.

Here, take a look:

Go here: http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...php?act=Members

Go to the bottom, select "members" "by total posts" "ascending order" and "50" and you'll see the first fifty (you could look through the first 5 pages and see all of the people that probably would be deleted.

However, again, if they just joined in 2006, you wouldn't see them.

Hmm....makes me think.....one sec.

Whoa, if I go up to join date of prior to May of this year and less than 5 posts, it jumps to 322.

btw, the first time I pruned I decided to add this into the registration blurb:

You acknowledge that inactive accounts with no history of any board constributions are frequently deleted without any notification.

Someone complaining about a ban posts 5 times. 10 posts is at least 2 or 3 threads. Prune em! Then do less than 25 posts from Jan '05.

:wiggle2: Yup....I even had more than 10 post in a few months and I was super NOOBIE ba bOBBIE...

I think the less than 5 post is good also.

If people love our servers so much I think they would take the time to take part in the website part of it and post up to share their ideas or at least to support us for something that they enjoy so much.