Magnesium Fire

simkiller

I had a hell of a night last night. We were called to a building fire around 9:00. We were on our way to the scene when radio traffic from the first in engine reported heavy smoke through out the whole building and made the call a 706 (which means its a second alarm fire...1 alarm fires consist of 3 engines, 2 ladder trucks, Heavy Rescue Unit and 2 Battalion Chiefs...so basically a 706 doubles that response). It happened to be a Foundry that casts metal for I believe engine parts so the whole building is basically a death trap if it catches on fire. Kinda funny because I made a fire last year at this exact same building where there was 1 fatality and another person who was burned over 95% of his body. (Both employees of the foundry). It took several days for that fire to burn itself out, because if you don't already know you can't put water on Molten Magnesium because it basically reacts and explodes like a bomb if you do. Anyways we got on scene and were given orders to set the ladder truck up and bring a fan to the front door. After that we went to the rear of the structure where you could see through a window that was busted out and see the seat of the fire. It was much much bigger than the fire last year and from my little experience on the job it told me we couldn't do crap but let it burn. But for some reason we had crews inside for a while. Luckily maybe a min or two before the huge explosions the 700 tones were sounded which means get the hell out of the building NOW. When the explosions went off there must have been 20 firefighters including myself not a foot or two from the building. (My crew was ordered to bust out windows on the four side and that is where we were when the whole building lit up.) It literally knocked down or threw all of us. Molten metal and parts were everywhere. I don't know how but no one died. Only a few minor injuries to a couple of firefighter. I still can't believe how lucky we are right now.

News crews caught most of it on film. Here's a link to the news sight with 3 or so clips of it exploding.

http://www.wane.com/

Edited by simkiller

Hum, yes very glad there were no serious injuries. Sounds like they need better safety practices at the foundery. Or maybe a better surpression system. Foam, co2, i don't think a D fire extingusher would do any help for that blaze! Way to keep you head on sim, and yes this is another learning experience. Use/share it.

Kinda funny because I made a fire last year at this exact same building where there was 1 fatality and another person who was burned over 95% of his body.

YOU made the fire? :unsure:

I have a question, what do firefighters do when there's no fires? Just sit around?

Kinda funny because I made a fire last year at this exact same building where there was 1 fatality and another person who was burned over 95% of his body.

YOU made the fire? :unsure:

I have a question, what do firefighters do when there's no fires? Just sit around?

I was wondering the same thing.

Thank God your alright. Dont do something stupid like that again, nobody wants you to die.

(edited)

When i say I made a fire, that means I was one of the responding units to the fire to try and extinguish. And yeah what discom said..... :shrug03:

Can anyone help me out and tell me if there is a way to save the streaming video from that site I posted above? I'd love to be able to save those video clips and keep them on my computer. I called the number on the website to see if I could get a copy of those and they said it would cost me something like 60 bucks for 1 clip! Help would be much appreciated.

If you figure out a way and are able to save them my e-mail is sim651@gmail.com.

Edited by simkiller

(edited)
If you figure out a way and are able to save them my e-mail is sim651@gmail.com.

I can get them without losing any quality. I'll email you when i get back from work in a few hours

what would u prefer? .mov, .mpg, .avi ?

Edited by discombobulated

Magnesium, like phosphorus, has a very high flash point and oxidizes very rapidly. Not only that, but magnesium burns hot enough (4000 degrees F) to cause hydrolysis, releasing free oxygen and HYDROGEN from water...which causes a heck of an explosion.

TG you're safe!

Thx farmer and everyone else.

Hey discom I don't know how long that site will keep those streaming videos up seeing how it looks like they are rotating new news stories in so I hope you allready downloaded or are going to soon. I don't think they'll be up to much longer.

(edited)

i was able to get 2 of them... an extended clip and the wednesday noon update clip. i'm encoding them now. they're DivX. windows media video format was being evil

Edited by discombobulated

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
Can anyone help me out and tell me if there is a way to save the streaming video from that site I posted above? I'd love to be able to save those video clips and keep them on my computer. I called the number on the website to see if I could get a copy of those and they said it would cost me something like 60 bucks for 1 clip! Help would be much appreciated.

If you have firefox, you can use the VideoDownloader extention to save video clips in the future. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/