Authors You've Read

Lunk

Who are some of your favorite authors? Here's mine (well a partial list)

Robert Ludlum

Louis Lamour

Larry McMurtry

Greg Iles

John Sanford

Clive Cussler

Stephen King(used to be a big fan of his stuff, not so much anymore)

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. As you can see it's all fiction & westerns. I read other things by different authors. I just don't follow them as I do the above mentioned. Although 2 of the above I can no longer follow as they are dead(so I don't reckon I'll be seeing anything new from them)

I garauntee I can't even remember all the authors I "love". I've been a huge reader since I was a child. I was the kind of kid who would sit in his bedroom all day long during the summer just to read books.

Some authors I love:

Robert Jordan

George R. R. Martin

Robin Hobb

David Farland

Kevin J. Anderson

C. S. Lewis

so many more that I can't name them all...but these are my favorites by far.

Yeah my list of authors would be too long for comfort but here are some of my favorites (or ones that I have read alot)

George Orwell

James Michener (does historical fictions)

Stephen King

Larry McMurtry (best westerns I have ever read)

Ernest Hemmingway

Charles Dickens

Dan Brown

Chuck Paliniuk (I can never spell his name right)

JRR Tolkien

Tom Clancy

Ambrose (can not seem to remember what his first name is atm, the history writer)

John Steinbeck

Kurt Vonnegut

Soooo many others but that is good enough for now.

Edited by farmerisme

Poe for the win!

man...you guys all like a bunch of classics...I'm definitely a more "new school" reader. Then again I believe that some of the new school Fantasy Authors blow the socks off of the old-school guys.

Poe for the win!

man...you guys all like a bunch of classics...I'm definitely a more "new school" reader. Then again I believe that some of the new school Fantasy Authors blow the socks off of the old-school guys.

While I tend to like the older novels better than the new ones, I read alot of new fiction. Just do not consider it much more than something to keep me occupied other than a few select authors. So it goes... classics have already had time weed out the garbage, present has not. My goodness I left one of my favorite authors of my list... Kurt Vonnegut ftw!

Poe is probably the first horror/scary type reading I did. Whenever you read him, you just get immersed in the plot. Draws you in and holds you there. :peace:

Poe for the win!

Don't get me wrong playaa. I like a lot of the new fiction. But, you just can't ever forget the classics told by Poe.

Lots of folks say that the Harry Potter books are really good... I have never picked them up just because I always got the impression that they were for a younger crowd. I have been told that is mistaken. Are they worth reading if you are older as well Mr Cool?

Lots of folks say that the Harry Potter books are really good... I have never picked them up just because I always got the impression that they were for a younger crowd. I have been told that is mistaken. Are they worth reading if you are older as well Mr Cool?

welll, you wud noe if you want to read them if you liked the movies. but yea, it seems harry potter is for a younger crowd but i think its a book everyone shud read... its more of a magic and spells and stuff kinda book....maybe u can pick up one of the books and read a couple chapters to see if you like it or not...

Terry Brooks

Christopher Paolini

R.A. Salvatore

Margaret Weis

Tracy Hickman

Garth Nix

Robert Jordan

Tolkien

Dickens

Steven Pressfield

Douglas Adams

Octavia Butler

Frank Herbert

Brian Herbert

Keven J. Anderson

I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy fan myself. If you guys like JRR tolkien my personal recommendation is not JK Rowling. I've found Terry Brooks (Shannara series), R.A. Salvatore (Forgoten realms books), Garth nix, Christopher Paolini and Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman to be better (and if you like long reads Robert Jordan). If you're more of a sci-fi fan, nothing like dune, legacy of dune *prequel to dune written by Frank Herbert's son and another author* and Octavia butler.

Ambrose (can not seem to remember what his first name is atm, the history writer)

Stephen, I think. The guy that did Band of Brothers and a million other important historical books. Agreed.

I've read almost all of the 100 best books from the list that came out a couple years ago, but these are my top favorites with books that I'd want on a desert island and that I will make my son read:

My favorite: Ernest Hemingway

Alexandre Dumas

Rudyard Kipling

Joseph Conrad

Ayn Rand

Jack London

Robert Ludlum (Bourne Series made me not be able to read Tom Clancy any more, even though I loved his books since I was in high school)

Khalil Gibran

Robert Ludlum (Bourne Series made me not be able to read Tom Clancy any more, even though I loved his books since I was in high school)

I read my first Robert Ludlum book in High School. Incidentally, "The Bourne Identity" was the first one I read. So I'm a little biased towards him. And since that time I've compared all other writers to him when reading their books. Probably isn't fair to the other writers but that's just the way it is. :D

Here are a couple of others I enjoy reading

Brad Thor

Tim Green

Jeffery Deaver

Catherine Coulter (Blind Side)

Oh man, I know I can't name all my favorites, but off the top of my head I would say

Stephen King (only The Dark Tower series)

George Orwell

Chuck Klostermann

Hunter S. Thompson

Albert Camus

WEB Griffin

Tom Clancy

I read a lot of non-fiction, most of the authors aren't very well known, so I didn't list any of them.

Rowling

Tolkien

Johnathan Stroud

C. Paolini

Cinda Chima

James Patterson

L. Lowry

Gordan Korman

Markus Zusak

I actually like fantasy and fiction stuff, but i just finished a book thats about WWII, Zusak wrote it, its really good.. so yeah :D:spin2:

Vonnegut

James Clavell (asian sagas)

Dashell Hammett

Steven King

Mario Puzo

John Sandford

Tolkien

George Orwell

Thomas Harris

Richard Stark

and i think no one has mentioned this guy: Michael Chrichton

Well, since I don't read really much, I only have a few:

Robert Ludlum (Matarese series made me read more of his work)

Tolkien

Sidney Sheldon (Rage of angels)

Orwell (Animal Farm)

Charles Dickens

Dashell Hammett

J.K. Rowling

J.R.R Tolken

J.D. Salinger

Maya Angelou

William Shakespeare

Dan Brown

Robert Ludlum