why?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I'm gonna try to reply to that nicely and hope that my post doesn't get deleted (again).

de_dust2.jpg

de_dust22.jpg

In case u are interested in what we actually SEE just about everyday, this is it, the more recent was just taken today on midwest no-scope about 4pm pst. We experience it more than we get to see it though. And I'm not savvy with all that pingplotter stuff, took me research just to figure out where I could upload an image to a website so I could then post it on here. The feeling that myself and alot have is that you should trust your members who have been playing on the servers for a very long time (and not make them go through all this headache of trying to get a dozen screenshots/pingplotter/etc each for proof) I mean, what motive could we possibly have for making these things up?

Anyways, I'll take the sometimes rubberbanding old server over this one that goes through phases of lag anyday, in spite of a slightly better ping. And I'd like more slots back :bang:

:hug:

tWc|RoGuE.gc

Edited by RoGuEmX

I know I'm relatively new around here, but I have rather harsh criticisms of the way Immutable and GCs other flagship servers have been handled as of late. I endorse a "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" mentality.

Immutable was unshakable in its attendance, but recently I've heard many, many complaints (not used to that), I've seen less regulars and fewer repeat visits.

Dr. Dunlavy's advice:

* Get our main, flagship servers back up to 24-26 total players. The numbers now are just too low to compete with busier servers.

* Reestablish our server settings. Gravity, wait time, votekick, mani, pop-up messages all need to be set to conservative, old skool settings.

* If the new servers lag, kill em. Personally, my ping is BETTER, but I hear so many others complaining about hiccupping and lag.

Anyway, John, to answer your question... that's why. Change is hardly good, and change for change's sake is never a good thing to do.

And BTW, I'll start signing on more. I've been neglecting my starving baby....... and that starving baby will just have to wait for me to finish playing Counter Strike.

- Dun

P.S. Dunlavy does not have kids. In fact, he is entirely hot and single. Send GF applications to myspace.com/dunlavy.

Hear, Hear!, I agree with everything the man just said

I know I'm relatively new around here, but I have rather harsh criticisms of the way Immutable and GCs other flagship servers have been handled as of late. I endorse a "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" mentality.

Immutable was unshakable in its attendance, but recently I've heard many, many complaints (not used to that), I've seen less regulars and fewer repeat visits.

Dr. Dunlavy's advice:

* Get our main, flagship servers back up to 24-26 total players. The numbers now are just too low to compete with busier servers.

* Reestablish our server settings. Gravity, wait time, votekick, mani, pop-up messages all need to be set to conservative, old skool settings.

* If the new servers lag, kill em. Personally, my ping is BETTER, but I hear so many others complaining about hiccupping and lag.

Anyway, John, to answer your question... that's why. Change is hardly good, and change for change's sake is never a good thing to do.

And BTW, I'll start signing on more. I've been neglecting my starving baby....... and that starving baby will just have to wait for me to finish playing Counter Strike.

- Dun

P.S. Dunlavy does not have kids. In fact, he is entirely hot and single. Send GF applications to myspace.com/dunlavy.

I don't agree with Dunlavy's girlfriend method. :(

...?

I don't agree with Dunlavy's girlfriend method. :(

...?

Oh, you mean the MySpace thing. Nevermind. You've seen my spray. That's why I meet girls online.

GC Alumni

thanks, guys. i'll be back from maine (26.4kbps land) late tonight, catching up on work tomorrow, and catching up on links like laz's sometime soon.

i guess the question boils down to this: is it server performance OR server settings OR ______ (not school)? this is one of those topics i'd really appreciate having stay on topic...

30% server performance / 30% server settings / 20% lack of time / 20% disenfranchisement with the changes

I'd say fix two of any of these items and the rest will fall into place.

But yeah... settings probably first. :D Here's hoping for a full recovery!

Edited by J. Dunlavy

For me personally, the map rotation causes me pain.

I know we as admins can change it and are encouraged to do so... but just seeing the same 5 or 6 maps up all the time makes me cringe.

The increcibly bad moments of lag aren't helping, but I haven't seen anybody leave the server because of them explicitly (except when they get kicked for high ping) Usually lasts between 1-2 minutes.

5 Map rotation also a good point... and yeah you aren't losing us regs yet, we have lots of good friends here, but I HAVE found myself joining other public servers recently (whereas until these changes, I was exclusive to .gc). Testing the waters due to a combination of all that has been mentioned along with loss of others showing up.

For me personally, the map rotation causes me pain.

I know we as admins can change it and are encouraged to do so... but just seeing the same 5 or 6 maps up all the time makes me cringe.

The increcibly bad moments of lag aren't helping, but I haven't seen anybody leave the server because of them explicitly (except when they get kicked for high ping) Usually lasts between 1-2 minutes.

I know for me, speaking as a non .GC member, i usually cant get in any more because of the server size, that fact alone i know drives some ppl away because everytime they try to join they get booted to another server. So ppl will try to get into the server and when they fail, they will just go play in another non .gc server and not even bother trying to get back in. Just a thought..... -Fajackta

(edited)

A lot of people have left west for a number of reasons.

#1 The new servers just dont ping as good for them as the other west.

#2 ping problems spike's lasting 1-2 mins where everyones ping hits well above 150-250

#3 Map rotation aztec is killing the population. Bigger map rotations would maybe get more people. cause more people would see a map they like and join.

#4 There are also now 4 west coast server Seattle,West,aim D-M and west pistol's only.

Idea's on Fixes

#2 Visit www.dslreports.com sign up and Use there tools to mointor the West coast ip address for packet loss etc for 24hrs. This will give u some info to give to the host of the server. I have demo's and screenshots of the problems something is wrong.

#3 larger map rotation drop aztec (one sided), less office, no italy (one sided), no assault (one sided)

Edit: didnt know about john's why thread if someone can merge or move this into that thread it would be nice. Rogue just informed me about the why thread in west fourms.

P.s dont worrie it just me spamming again!!!!

Edited by FORZ

GC Alumni

mapcycles are restored to preserver move. dun, the other settings you mentioned have been that way for awhile, even on the old servers. come back to us dun.

edit: just saw your post forz (moved + merged it here)

fyi forz - we've been monitoring from our end and the NFO end; the ping problem isn't showing up in any traces, and there's no abnormal cpu/memory usage while it's occuring. it's odd....to say the least.

well west was dead last night till me and my clan pretty much jump started the server. i put it on dust 2 and all twc was in there playing and then finally people started joining. i had been playing on the midwest server earlier around 530ct due to the fact that there were only 2 people in west.

seems to me that the new servers are effecting alot of people, i dont really see to many problems but i think that might be due to the fact that i have a rock solid computer, however i do experience the huge lag spikes that last for a minute or two.

i would have no problem with the rubberbanding compared to this new lack of players and all the problems. it just sucks cause i dont have as meany people to own on the other team anymore. so i cry.

i will stop rambling now.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
(edited)

Dude I havent been on here in a bit, but I was gonna post something just like this. What happened?!?!?! Literally if its not between 6pm and 10pm, the server is as empty as my pocketbook. This is a huge stark contrast to what GC is known for (atleast for me)...which is a server that even at 3am has 18 people in it. I have seen no regulars and Ive stopped playing there because people just drop like flies.

I think one of the biggest problems is that...when the ping spike hits, the autokick kicks everyone by GC members. They probably get annoyed or think they are being kicked for no reason.

I dont think school has started for many people... Its a late August and September thing.

I think people who havent been around for a little bit, join the old server, find it pistols, dont see anything about the new IP, and leave.

When we had it setup so that the old server wasnt playing and it said in big letters all over the place about the new server... then the new server was packed. But as soon as it was made pistols only and the advertisement for the new server is small, attendence literally seemed to go down about 90-95%.

I get better ping on this new server...however I do not know if I actually perform better. The ping spikes are super annoying and I feel like in general I still lag about the same as Immutable, which was one of the most stable servers Ive played on. Ill sacrifice 10 ping for twice as many players, especially if I get the same performance.

I say either go back to the old Immutable server, or do the thing where Immutable tells everyone to go to the new server. What were doing right now is not working.

And let me just finish with saying that...after playing ONLY here (literally, I only play here) for the last 6 months...wow. It really really really makes me realize how much better our server is then everyone else. All the other servers are just full of TKing, no admins, swearing, bickering, blocking, cheating, attendence that goes from 20 to 10 in a few rounds, and general bad sportsmanship....

Oh, and I tend to get banned everywhere else too so this is another reason we need to fix West. GC doesnt have the software to detect my hax! I NEED SOMEWHERE TO OWN!

Edited by Dude-

GC Alumni

unless you know where my keys and wallet are, please stop reading my mind. :erm:

good point on the high ping kick. i shoulda disabled that after the first spike....whoops. it's off now, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. school doesn't start for another week for me, and i'd like to get this on track before then. please keep an eye on the forums for any news/changes.

-sj

ok idk if any ones coverd this but since the sever switch ived noticed my ping is now relyl speratic and jump one minute its at around 70 the next its at like 140. also the time it take s me to get into a map is rediculasly long. and it only happens on this sever. and im totally partial to duns thinking.

sorry for the spellin but we all no my stance on tht.

Well its there no matter if the traces are showing it or not there are 20 people in the server in rogues screeny and I have 3 or 4 screenys at different times with different people on the sever. There is no way that 20 peoples (from 20 different locations through out the usa) pings can jump up to 150-200 ping and it not be related the the host, bandwidth or related directly related to the box the game is on. There is just no way that 20 people in 20 different city's with 20 different isp can all have a ping jump not related to the server or its bandwidth.

GC Alumni

dude i'm not saying it's not an issue, i'm just saying no one, here or at NFO, has a reason for WHY it's happening. there's even a theory it's some sort of SRCDS attack. since it seems random, the hope is that it will "just go away." and since it's a windows server, that type of solution isn't that unheard of.

anyways, with the dip in monthly traffic, i think it's time to start looking at a more concrete solution. stay tuned.

I think its the map rotation, playing the same 5 maps over and over gets old. These maps have been out for many years. I know you think they get the server full and maybe sometimes thats valid but I know another server that holds 50 people and is almost always full and its custom maps only. If you want the ip let me know. I'm at work right now.

dEL