Thinking of building a gaming machine

Playaa

(edited)

So I've not owned a gaming computer in quite some time. I have my personal laptop which is mainly used for watching DVD's in bed, and I have a Dell computer I bought for my father right before he died. Neither of these will support the game I want (NWN2).

So...would it be possible to build a computer for $400 or less that will support these specs:

Recommended: - 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor - 1GB System Ram - ATI Radeon X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements: - Windows XP - 512MB System RAM - 2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor - 128MB Direct3D compatible video card with DirectX 9.0c compatible driver - CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive - 4.6GB free hard disk space - DirectX 9.0c (included) - DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

Supported Video Cards: - ATI Radeon X1900 series - ATI Radeon X1800 series - ATI Radeon X1600 series - ATI Radeon X1300 series - ATI Radeon X850 series - ATI Radeon X800 series - ATI Radeon X700 series - ATI Radeon X600 series - ATI Radeon X300 series - ATI Radeon 9800 series - ATI Radeon 9600 series - ATI Radeon 9500 series - NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series - NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series - NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series - NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series - NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series - NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series - NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

It's been about 2 years since I've tried to build a pc myself so I'm very much out of the loop on what's what and what to look for and what is compatible...so I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

For the sake of making this easier...please make all links point to NewEgg

:)

*edit*

For reference sake, I actually own like 2 512mb DDR Ram chips and a Radeon All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro that I could plug in if they'd work with a newer motherboard. Mainly I need MoBo, Processor, case, all the fans and that stuff. Oh and the monitor isn't a problem either...the Dell came with a 19" flat panel.

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

It would be tight for $400 but doable.

Here is a 939 mobo option for you that will let you keep your current vid card.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2

Has AGP & PCI-E slots. That way you can hold onto your 9700 for a bit longer until you spring for a PCI-E vid card. Down the road you can get a daughter card for the mobo to support AM2 & DDR2 which does give it a longer upgrade life. Not the most elegant solution but works.

If you decide to drop the money on a new PCI-E vid card, then skip the ASRock 939Dual and just get a good AM2 mobo.

Edited by HWarrior

Unclean, I want to leave the Dell completely together so I can just use a KVM switch on the 2 computers (1 for my mother who uses the Dell just to check email and 1 for me to game on).

Warrior that is exactly what I'm looking for...awesome. What sort of processor would I be looking for on that thing?

I also just realized I still have an 80gig HD, a CD Burner, case, Power Supply...all that stuff just sitting in boxes from when I moved back home and my gaming rig blew up (motherboard went kaputz).

Also...if I wasn't going to use my DDR Ram would I need to buy that "daughter card" right away for DDR2 Ram (which I'm assuming is the latest and greatest thing?)

I'm looking for something like this for the processor right:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103535

???

Preacher, that barebones bundle comes without Processor though right? Cause I already own the case/power supply/CD Drives and all that stuff. I mainly need a processor, motherboard (that has upgradeability) and possibly Ram. Though that video card seems incredibly cheap...and much better than my 128mb All-in-Wonder.

Warrior that is exactly what I'm looking for...awesome. What sort of processor would I be looking for on that thing?

I also just realized I still have an 80gig HD, a CD Burner, case, Power Supply...all that stuff just sitting in boxes from when I moved back home and my gaming rig blew up (motherboard went kaputz).

Also...if I wasn't going to use my DDR Ram would I need to buy that "daughter card" right away for DDR2 Ram (which I'm assuming is the latest and greatest thing?)

For single core, the processor M2 recommended is the way to go. Extra $50-$150, gets you a dual core. If you decide to go the ASRock Dual route then you need 939 processor now & DDR Ram. When you buy the daughter card later on, then you would need to buy an AM2 processor & DDR2 Ram. Can't mix & match the ram with the different sockets.

If you wanted to go AM2 & DDR2 right now, then using the ASRock Dual isn't best way to go. Better off getting a AM2 board with AM2 CPU, DDR2 ram, & decent PCI-E card.

Yeah more specs on your power supply & ram would help.

How does this look?

Case ( Raidmax 268 ATX Mid-Tower Case w/350W Power Supply Black )

Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )

Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 3800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )

Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 nVidia nForce4 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 PCI-E Motherboard )

Memory ( 512MB DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( Nvidia Geforce 6200 with TurboCache Supporting 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )

Hard Drive ( 160 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 8M Cache] )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony DW-G120 Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Fax Modem ( 56K Fax Modem V.92 )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

for $437.00?

I'm starting to think that I might just want to build a whole system minus Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse...cause I don't know what's what anymore...I don't know which video cards are which, which processor's are top of the line...I'm so out of the loop.

that system is one I built at Ibuypower.com

so if I were to get a PCI-E capable video card right now (I figure why not upgrade to a 256mb instead of use an old 128mb) what should I be looking for? Remember I want to go with bargain. Would a bargain GeForce (something like the 7300LE) be better for me than my 3 year old "top of the line" card?