Quiet Computers

Unclean

Thanks VooDoo, but I've looked into these websites already (xoxide, quietpcusa, endpcnoise, etc).

I was looking more for personal experiences people have had. For example, what kind of difference did rubber bolts make? Noise dampening pads in the case? "Silent" power supplies that were poorly constructed and fairly noisy, etc.

Thanks VooDoo, but I've looked into these websites already (xoxide, quietpcusa, endpcnoise, etc).

I was looking more for personal experiences people have had. For example, what kind of difference did rubber bolts make? Noise dampening pads in the case? "Silent" power supplies that were poorly constructed and fairly noisy, etc.

Ohhh. I use headphones, so I am of no help. :(

I have 2 Vantec fans and they're both a ton quieter than the other one I have. Vibration dampening pads seem to help, but not very much. The first thing to start with is a case with as many 120mm fan holes as possible, they're a lot quieter than smaller fans because they can spin slower to move the same air. Also I have one of those flower-shaped heatsink/fans (Zalman) and it's a lot quieter than the stock fan that came from intel, but it doesn't cool that much better.

Oh yeah and my Antec SmartPower II is basically silent anyway compared to my 92mm and 80mm case fan.

(edited)

Preacher - I actually ordered that fan last week (saw your post on it before) and two of these guys:

http://www.xoxide.com/sharkoon-silent-eagle-2000.html

I have to put my ear up next to those 3 fans to hear any kind of noise, and it's a very light hum at that.

For me, the noise levels go in this order (from noisiest to least noisy):

1. Video card (7900GT KO)

2. Old 120mm case fan (on high)

3. Processor fan

4. Raptor Hard drives

5. Power supply

/Edit: just ordered these two guys:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118119

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118001

Edited by Unclean

preach, if your psu is your loudest component it's either really loud or you have a dead silent system. though my psu, when not gaming, is by far my loudest component. pcp&c are not known for their quietness though. my vid card is by far the loudest when in game. i need that new x1950xtx heatsink. infact, i think i'll take the whole card.

unlcean, the thermaltake bigtyphoon is a far better cpu heatsink then that zalman. swap your order for that one if you still can.

Edited by Cujo

You'll be happy with both those Zalman's. Have both working great here.

ya the vid card one is great. just for the price he can do better on the cpu one. the zalman is a design from back in the athlon xp days. before heatpipes existed. if you want to stick with zalman then look at the cnps9500. that is zalman's closest offering to the bigtyphoon.

ya the vid card one is great. just for the price he can do better on the cpu one. the zalman is a design from back in the athlon xp days. before heatpipes existed. if you want to stick with zalman then look at the cnps9500. that is zalman's closest offering to the bigtyphoon.

The Big Typhoon is $10 more, plus I'm not sure it would fit in my case. The way my case is designed, there's a tunnel that leads directly in to the processor so the proc fan isn't drawing warm air from inside the case. That's why I can't use these heatpipe heatsinks that look like jet engines. :)

Although the ASUS A8N Premium does have a heatpipe for the processor already, and the vacuum tube thingy, so I'm not too concerned with uber1337 cooling. It's more about the silence for me (except while gaming). Thanks for the recommendation on the videocard cooler, though!

And HW - glad to hear someone that has this exact setup is happy with it. Very reassuring. :peace:

because my PC runs at such low temps my video card stays silent, the giant 240mm side fan, the two TT Big Wheels and my CPU fan is a TT Silent Cat. My only fan that I can hear is the one in my Ultra X2 Connect 550 Watt PS. The only other noise I get is with my hard drive at times but only once in a great while.

My computer room is actually a dinning room that one wall has a double door opening that leads into the living room. A few years ago I could watch TV on the couch and hear the comps running in the next room. Very annoying, something had to be done. With a little cash (buying all new agjustable fans) and a little work all is peaceful now.

Case fans seem to be make the most noise, even if they are the quiet type the air rushing through the pressed factory grill made the most noise for me. Remove them! On the back side of the case you may want to place a wire grill over those fans for safety.

fanhole.JPG

All I used was a dremel tool, not only does this decrease noise, but will increase air flow to boot.

-ew the fan was spinning when I took this picture, didn't see the nasty dust lol

Seems the loudest things in comp now is a old IBM Deskstar 80gig I use for back up. It's mounted in the top 5 1/4 bay and the sound comes through the front plastic bezel. Though under normal conditions I cant hear it unless I stick my head 10 inches from it.

Bushie - is that your case all put together, or did you take off a panel to see a closeup of the fan? And it sounds like you were dealing with what I'm dealing with now. If you can hear your computer in another room, it is WAY too loud imo. :)

Bushie - is that your case all put together, or did you take off a panel to see a closeup of the fan? And it sounds like you were dealing with what I'm dealing with now. If you can hear your computer in another room, it is WAY too loud imo. :)

Yeah thats my comp with the front panel pulled off. The pic is of the front case fan.

I also use a Arctic Freezer 64 Pro on my Athlon 64. It is quiet in itself but I also have AMDs "Cool and Quiet" feature activated on my mobo. Now the fan on it usually hovers around 1100 rpm idle @ 42C and up to 1400 under load @ 48C. Totally silent at 1400 too.

I overclocked my 3500+ the other day from 2.2g to 2.4g (10x240) Doom3 benched from 75fps to 78fps. Not a noticable increase but my CPU was much hotter and the fan noise became noticeable. Not worth the extra heat/noise so I am currently back at stock speed.

You'll be happy with both those Zalman's. Have both working great here.

I have the Zalman 9500, its very quiet, and makes my cpu sit at 26 degrees

I'm using the Big Typhoon and I like it. I have it set pretty high and it's still quite quiet.

The loudest part of my pc is probably the 120mm fan intake on the front of my TT Armour, because it's pointing towards me since the back of the pc is pointing away. Either that or the little 90mm on the top.

Anyway, the Typhoon is holding my 4200+ (oc'd to 2.4) at 37 C, which could be easily improved if i fiddled aroudn with my case a bit. It's messy at the moment with cables etc