my first full network

ephemeral

i just completed a home network all by myself! we have 256k going through a modem, which is then routed through to a switch/wireless router, and everything works! printer, file sharing, internet, even between wireless and hardwire.

to most of you, i realize, this may not be much of an accomplishment, but i am proud of myself for setting this up all on my own!!!

*give ephemeral a kewkie*

i thought that said kwikie at first :freak:

hah so did I

As did I. I just got a laptop, so I set up a network too. Only problem was Norton was in the way until I reconfigured it.

more like your only problem is using Norton :)

lol so i'm all done and im bored so of course i try to better my network...i upgrade my firmware! nooooot smart, so now no matter what i do, i cant access the internet or change the router back to its correct config! waaaaaaaaah someone help me!

<_< don't make me take the kewkie back :blink:

*give ephemeral a kewkie*

i thought that said kwikie at first :freak:

hah so did I

As did I. I just got a laptop, so I set up a network too. Only problem was Norton was in the way until I reconfigured it.

.... you guys need to clean out that head of yours. :twitch:

I laughed so hard when somebody said to me at the last lan party "ip addresses are stupid, lets not use them"

Yeah just use UNC names. It's way easier.

Okay now I feel dumb, I dont know what UNC means. I was making a private network without internet using internal IP adresses. They said that after I told them their IP address.

I laughed so hard when somebody said to me at the last lan party "ip addresses are stupid, lets not use them"

Yeah just use UNC names. It's way easier.

Okay now I feel dumb, I dont know what UNC means. I was making a private network without internet using internal IP adresses. They said that after I told them their IP address.

universal naming convention... it's a netBIOS naming format for server/lans whatever or what not :erm:

geek loses another geek point.

I <3 DOS

*flees*

geek loses another geek point.

I <3 DOS

*flees*

that is the last time I ask you how to change drives in ms-dos

just because I have a name with the word geek doesnt mean that I know everything.

All in favor in making the bunnies new name "GeekDustBunny"?

wait... that would kinda mean the same thing as adoptive last names after marrige... forget it

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

Lol, then you are learning something from cisco semester 1.

Now next lan party you can do all of the admin stuff for me.

LOL dude i said that because you were trying to force our IP's, so we weren't getting internet, so i meant we shouldnt force IP's, just use DHCP and config the router to be the DHCP serv and not the modem, but of course just having no internet was the Geek way to do it, so...

but anyways, to the main topic...i restored everything to factory def. but still cannot access the network. here is the situation; i'm thinking when i 'updated' the firmware, it changed some wierd protocol in the router butyways, here's my situation.

i plug into the router and i get a popup onscreen taht says i have a 100mb connection, which means the router and my NIC are communicating. however, i cant access my modem through the router, nor other devices connected to it. my modem is configured to let the router route the internet, and to allow the router to be the DHCP serv. i have all security turned off while i work on it, and there is never a difference. also, all the lights on the router that should be on, are on, and flash when i acces the router. internet light is on also, and the ethernet light on my modem is green, showing that they are also communicating, BUT I CANNOT GET TO THE MODEM THROUGH MY ROUTER AND I CANNOT GET IT TO WORK AND I AM EXTREMEMLY EXHAUSTED AND FRUSTRATED SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I LOSE MY MIND BECAUSE I CANNOT FIX THIS AND I FEEL TOTALLY NOOBISH!!!!1!1!!! :,( please help me...

(sorry for the 'skyscraper' post (in fatty's lingo) but i have no time to do proper capitalization and paragraphs and all that nonsense right now, cause after i make one final attempt at this, im going to cry myself to sleep...

(OH btw i am accessing the internet right now by plugging myself directly into the modem, making the default gateway the modem, and using qwest's DNS server...which takes a long time to configure, and i have to reconfigure it the other way to work on stuff, so i can't do this often lol...)

k so a smashed keyboard later, i have given up! i disconnected the router, made the modem the DHCP serv, reactivated wireless on the modem, and have everything back up the way it was...but this is obviously not a permanent fix as i have no network, only internet, no printer, and have an unresolved issue poking at my brain that needs to be fixed sooooo...ANY SUGGESTIONS AT ALL would be GREATLY appreciated, i'm gonna bring in the router to my cisco teacher tomorrow and recreate my home network there and see if he can do anything to help me.

Edited by ephemeral

yeah...lol i got it working...it turned out to be that the modem needed to be on DCHP as well as the router...for some strange reason, because it shouldnt have to do that, and it wasnt like that before lol. yeah i have a linksys wirless gate/switch/router, and we have dsl