PS3....

[LaW]Maverick

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.itvidya.com/playstation_3_vs_xbox_360

This article was very interesting....

Bandwidth restrictions kill the ps3 if this guy's numbers are correct. I mean, the only thing limiting the graphics performance on the laptop I'm using right now is the processor bandwidth. Wish I had more...

edit: I started my own research and found two more interesting articles:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2453&p=1

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

A friend of mine works in the electronics dept of one of the 2 walmarts here in Sioux Fall SD and he says that it will be 3 to 6 months before more ps3's come in. Otherwise Ill have to order the insanely expensive "sports" package ps3 bundle. Dont like sports games for anything and thats all that in the bundle. Sony really fumbled the ball on this one. Dont know if ill buy another playstation again. I heard on the news yesterday that someone got shot over a ps3 while standing in line. Whats the world coming too? Crazy.

A friend of mine works in the electronics dept of one of the 2 walmarts here in Sioux Fall SD and he says that it will be 3 to 6 months before more ps3's come in. Otherwise Ill have to order the insanely expensive "sports" package ps3 bundle. Dont like sports games for anything and thats all that in the bundle. Sony really fumbled the ball on this one. Dont know if ill buy another playstation again. I heard on the news yesterday that someone got shot over a ps3 while standing in line. Whats the world coming too? Crazy.

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=30718

In the article linked there.

Now they have lost their minds at Walmart. $1400?!?!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303666

To be fair, for $1400 you appear to get a controller, a memory card adapter (Why won't they just die?) and 12 games...Of course, some quick math seems to indicate it's actually a few dollars MORE expensive this way (games are $60 on the PS3, right?).

Are there any good multiplayer games out on the PS3 yet? Is anyone going to be upset at the relative (compared to the XBox, PC and undoubtedly soon the Wii) shortage of opponents online?

• 2 weeks later...
What operating system does the PS3 use anyway?

SonyPOS (Proprietary Operating System...i'm going down aren't I?)

Just kidding...it uses much the same system as the PSP...and comes with a special kernel of Linux...hack away!

(btw speaking of hacking...Resistance is only 17gb...so yeah...so much for it taking up a whole brdisc...also 9gigs of that are FMVs and the game files only take up 6.6gigs...wow...so...coulda fit on a DVD...pwnt!)

What operating system does the PS3 use anyway?

SonyPOS (Proprietary Operating System...i'm going down aren't I?)

Just kidding...it uses much the same system as the PSP...and comes with a special kernel of Linux...hack away!

(btw speaking of hacking...Resistance is only 17gb...so yeah...so much for it taking up a whole brdisc...also 9gigs of that are FMVs and the game files only take up 6.6gigs...wow...so...coulda fit on a DVD...pwnt!)

The dvd's that only hold 4.7 gigs?

funny story.

I went to Best Buy yesterday to pick up some computer games with a friend. We were checking out the other gaming systems and thought the Wii looked pretty cool and was kinda fun. The XBox 360 was basically an XBox with better graphics and then we went over to the PS3 to play it. It was locked up.

Some kid was playing a motocross game and it just locked up. Kept playing the same song line over and over...

I found that funny.

I was going to post this rant in Chitchat...but decided it belongs here instead. It was a response because I'm getting the impression that people around here consider me nothing more that a 360 fanboy who won't even consider the PS3, which is furthest from the truth. I have no hard feelings toward anyone and I can only hope you don't either. Your opinion is as valid as mine, I'm just not going to rest until I have expounded my point of view as best as I possibly can. (basically until you concede to the facts :D )

[rant]

I keep telling people that I am unbiased...they just don't realize how much of a crazy rip off / marketing ploy the PS3 really is. I've seen it. I've played it. I don't hate it. I'm just not paying $600 for something I'm eventually going to have to turn upside down just to get it to read its own proprietary media. It's just blatantly obvious that Sony is up to its old tricks. Fall for it if you will. I will continue to stand on the sidelines waving my giant flag, trying to get your attention because all I want to do make sure you don't make a huge mistake. The PS3 is underpowered for the money/what Sony promised. BluRay is overkill for what consumers need (*cough*BetaMax*cough*).

Finally the biggest reason I'm so vehemently in support of the 360 now is because I almost bought one at launch. I waited because I knew the specs on the PS3 were going to blow the 360 out of the water. I was also tired of the weak games on the original Xbox. Sony boldfaced lied to me/us. What's more they are driving up the costs of the console market in an attempt to be able to rake in major profits.

Claim I'm a fanboy all you want. I've even admitted to it. But it doesn't make me biased. I'm a fanboy for reasons. Do not insult me by thinking I arbitrarily choose the 360 over the PS3. I've been playing video games since 1983. I've been on computers for just as long. I am now an Audio Visual consultant. I don't make this stuff up. I'm paid for my opinions. Look at the specs of the PS3 and go back and read everything Sony said about it years ago. Now take into consideration their position in the market, their stance on the next media (bluray vs hddvd) and how they have handled themselves in the press. They released an underpowered system, in short supply (even shorter than what they promised after cutbacks...supposed to be 400,000 units to the U.S. but ended up only being half that) and lied to us about it from day one.

My point. If this was any other company, we would have unitedly boycotted all their products by now. Wake up and smell the solder America! We no longer have to rely on Sony or Japan for the latest in technology!!!!!!!

[/rant]

• 2 weeks later...

I own both the xbox 360 and the PS3, I did notice that the xbox does not support a HDMI connection, the best you can do is component video (which ain't bad), but there is no optical output for digital audio.

I have the PS3 up and running and it looks and sounds great running through the HDMI.

I own both the xbox 360 and the PS3, I did notice that the xbox does not support a HDMI connection, the best you can do is component video (which ain't bad), but there is no optical output for digital audio.

I have the PS3 up and running and it looks and sounds great running through the HDMI.

odd...my 360 is hooked up to my surround sound via an optic monster optic cable and sounds great! (must be magic) :-)

There is an optic out connection on the cable that came with the 360 where it plugs into the back of your 360..it's on the connector for the cable itself.

I guess after having a 360 for a year, I kinda expected more from the PS3. I like it, but I still like the 360 better, mainly because Im addicted to XL Arcade. And I just cant get enough of Geometry Wars.

lol the COLORS!!!! yeah i totally wish nintendo and PS3 pulls a microsoft have come up with a more community centric feel. I love the achievement points, meeting new ppl, downloading a demo to the game before I buy it...