PS3....

[LaW]Maverick

Ok...so I posted up in the Which Wii thing and decided that this needed its own thread...

The PS3 will launch at $500 and $600. (http://gear.ign.com/articles/709/709495p1.html)

The difference? 20 gigs of HD space and support for HDMI and Memory cards

Sony is droping th HDMI not because they say there's little discernable difference between picture quality, but for the reasons that are stated in the IGN article. The new copywrite protection stuff doesn't work via analog cable. In other words, with no HDMI, people won't be able to watch HD Blue-Ray movies on their $499 PS3. Why would Sony do this? Simple: Sony is "pioneering" Blu-Ray and is launching its own line of players that start around $1000 along with their partners.

Ok, enough 'bout Sony's shady business. It boils down to this: with the extra features, you'd be silly to buy the $499 version of the system. That means $600 for a game console.

Who really thinks it's worth while? I mean, the difference in graphics capabilities between the 360 and the PS3 are minimal, they've had endless problems getting the thing to remain stable and play over 4 fps (which is why it was delayed), the thing was catching on fire from time to time not too long ago when left on, the ps2 was the least reliable system on the market (I know a lot of you probably have had no trouble with their ps2's, but it's VERY true), and it's plagued with all sorts of other problems.

Sony has leaked here and there to certain people that I can't mention (don't want to get them in trouble) that games will more than likely be more expensive that $50 and $60. In other words, you could be paying $70 and $80 for your games too! Why? Blu-Ray manufacturing costs for the media is much higher.

The cell processor, which Sony brags endlessly about, is a major part of the reason the system has been delayed (from what I've read and heard from somewhat inside sources). It wasn't launched last novermber because it wasn't running properly and crashed constantly. The Cell Processor was designed by IBM for the military for NETWORKING, NOT gaming. The processor needs an inordinate amount of processes to keep itself running. It was designed this way with the thought that it would be networked with a hundred or so computers. Now, Sony buys it so they can brag 'bout new technology, and stick it in a game system that most people will play individual of any network. Does that make sense? No.

Wow this is long...hehehe...anyway, I'm going to go for the Wii. It looks like a lot more fun, it is less than half the price, and the graphics looks sweet. That being said, Nintendo, unlike Sony, is doing something original. I have a friend that got to play PS3 at conference, and he said it was boring...just a PS2 on steroids. He played the Wii and the others were arguing on how long they got to play. Everyone unanimously loved it, and the PS3 was forgotten. He didn't even mention he played the ps3 until I asked him, but he went on and on about the Wii.

So, the big question is this: $600 for a ps3 that plays all the tired old titles that Sony keeps putting out with very little innovation--or--the Wii with its completely original idea and a bank full of all the old classic Nintendo games?

Also, if you just have to have incredible graphics...why not buy an XBOX360, save yourself $200, and get graphics that are just sick. (Gears of War looks better than any ps3 game I've seen yet. If you don't believe me, just look at the trailers for it vs. any ps3 game)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Was there much point in starting a thread just to bash the ps3?

Theres plenty of random bloggers on the web that do that already.

One thing to correct. Both models of PS3 will have HDMI out.

I won't lie, I work for Sony so I have a vested interest in this thing doing well.

I havn't heard of most of the issues you bring up about the hardware, although I'm not saying its not true, just I havn't heard anything about it.

As far as it being boring at e3 for your friend, well, that all comes down to the games. Personally, I thought Heavenly Sword was pretty fun.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Wii, but like I said, it comes down to the games. Some will be fun, some won't.

I currently have a Xbox360, and I'll be buying a Wii and a PS3 when they launch. There are going to be games to play on all 3.

It really just comes down to which software lineup you like best.

Edited by Raw-C

Not me. PS3 is way too expensive for me. The only thing I'd buy the PS3 for is RE5, but I won't blow $600+ just to play one game.

Nintendo is the only company making money selling their consoles. Not to mension Nintendo is putting in a game with their console so you get a game, console, and controller all in one little package that costs half the amount the PS3 does.

Although the PS3 looks pretty sick as far as grafix is concerned..... but cmon... $600?? why blow $600 on a console when you could buy The Radeon® X1950 XTX!!!! for your comp... makes no sense to buy a console if you have a computer that out performs any console in detail, grafix, and control. NO BRAINER. PC all the way, or Apple depending on your flavor.

I dont think I'm going to logic this to death.

I'll get the console that releases the games I want to play. Thats been the drive behind everything...computer cant run game "x" then I upgrade, its the same with consoles.

I have a Comp, PS2 and GC. I have all those because they have games that give me the felling that I'm justified with my purchase. The only reason why I dont have Xbox is because I beat Halo on my last Military trip to Turkey on someone elses and I havent found any other games worth getting an Xbox for.

So right now, 360 has nothing I want to play; Zelda will be on GC and Wii (so I stick with GC), and PS3 will get FF XIII...so I'll probably purchase PS3.

This also avoids release date issues and price. I'll just get my system when the game comes out.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Ill be buying it. I know its over priced but Im going to connect it to my 37" hd and buy some logitech speakers for it. My pc is my main gaming rig but there are a lot of ps2 titles that are great on a tv like that. Play Ace Combat 4 or 5 on one of those. Tons of fun. Then theres also the audio capbilities for movies and games and you can play your mp3's on it. Its as good as a home stereo. I dont like the $600 tag but Ill probably wait til ps6 after I get ps3 before I buy another one. :D

Although the PS3 looks pretty sick as far as grafix is concerned..... but cmon... $600?? why blow $600 on a console when you could buy The Radeon® X1950 XTX!!!! for your comp... makes no sense to buy a console if you have a computer that out performs any console in detail, grafix, and control. NO BRAINER. PC all the way, or Apple depending on your flavor.

Maybe you can buy a x1950 XTX for 600 dollars, but you'd still need a processor, hard drive, ram, motherboard, case, ect, ect...

I could easily turn your argument around and say the PS3 is only 600 dollars compared to a graphics card alone which is 600 dollars, then you get some Intel Core 2 Duo for 600 dollars then you get a 150 dollar motherboard, then 250 dollars of ram and a bunch of other junk which costs hundreds of more dollars.

Maybe you can buy a x1950 XTX for 600 dollars, but you'd still need a processor, hard drive, ram, motherboard, case, ect, ect...

I could easily turn your argument around and say the PS3 is only 600 dollars compared to a graphics card alone which is 600 dollars, then you get some Intel Core 2 Duo for 600 dollars then you get a 150 dollar motherboard, then 250 dollars of ram and a bunch of other junk which costs hundreds of more dollars.

And then do nothing but play games and music and watch movies.

There's a possibility that FFXIII could come out for xbox 360 but it wasn't stated officially yet. :) They did say that FFXIII will come out for PS3 and mobile phones though. I'm hoping it comes out for PC so i don't have to spend $600 on a PS3. Three games will be released, two for PS3, and one for mobile phone.

Here are quotes from the SE E3 website...

FINAL FANTASY XIII for PlayStation 3 system

A tale of souls from a futuristic civilization illuminated by the Light of the Crystal

This eagerly anticipated title takes full advantage of the PlayStation 3 system's advanced hardware, providing tangible, intuitive controls while delivering seamless transitions between real-time gameplay and stunning in-game cinematics. The latest in cutting-edge technology has been utilized in development of FINAL FANTASY XIII, thus making this newest addition to the FINAL FANTASY series worthy of the title "next generation."

FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII for PlayStation 3 system

Harmony is realized in this alternate tale of FINAL FANTASY XIII

Not a merely a sequel, but a wholly independent story unfolding in a different world with different characters. This title will appear alongside FINAL FANTASY XIII on the PlayStation 3 system.

FINAL FANTASY Agito XIII for Mobile Phones

Yet another facet of FINAL FANTASY XIII

FINAL FANTASY Agito XIII arrives as an entirely separate entity for mobile phones, offering players easy on-the-go access to the FINAL FANTASY XIII universe. Utilizing gameplay functions only available through mobile phones, this title provides players with a unique take on a story accessible anywhere their real-life adventures may take them.

If it is released for Xbox360 then that's cool and all... But i will still get a PS3 just to play FFXIII.

Not to get all nasty or anything, but dude...... you're just upgrading your current comp, you don't necessarily need to upgrade everything in that skinny midtower, just the video card, hence just upgrade your video card and you have a better computer x 10.

If you have to buy all that stuff to compete with a mesely glorified console, then:

1. You didn't think ahead in buying components for building your current comp

2. You just feel like having more than one computer

Either way you still have a better computer, which does alot more than that plastic box that plays 2nd gen grafix games and download mp3's, I can do that with my PDA phone.

Anyways, how are you able to play cs:s or post up in this forum so therefore, you already have a computer?? hmmm.... 1+1=2

Edited by s|im smi|ey

Not to get all nasty or anything, but dude...... you're just upgrading your current comp, you don't necessarily need to upgrade everything in that skinny midtower, just the video card, hence just upgrade your video card and you have a better computer x 10.

If you have to buy all that stuff to compete with a mesely glorified console, then:

1. You didn't think ahead in buying components for building your current comp

2. You just feel like having more than one computer

Either way you still have a better computer, which does alot more than that plastic box that plays 2nd gen grafix games and download mp3's, I can do that with my PDA phone.

Anyways, how are you able to play cs:s or post up in this forum so therefore, you already have a computer?? hmmm.... 1+1=2

You can post on a forums and play CSS with a computer from 1998, but that doesn't mean you don't need a new computer. If I was to buy a new computer or even upgrade the computer I have now, it would cost alot more then a PS3.

Any computer, no matter when you bought it, is going to go out of date sooner or later. Mines going to go out of date soon (it already is but it still has some juice left in it) so I will need a new graphics card, a new processor, more ram, a new power supply to support the processor and graphics card, and all that other junk. That has nothing to do with thinking ahead when I bought the parts. If I threw a 600 dollar graphics card in my computer right now it suddenly wouldn't make it a super computer. It would just be massivly bottlenecked by everything else.

It would be cheaper to buy a PS3 for games and use my current PC to listen to music, use programs and all the other stuff PCs do, rather then upgrade, essentially buying a new computer.

Though I would never do that.

Only thing I'm weeping about PS3 is it's going to have the new Metal Gear Solid...

Meh. I didn't enjoy the play controls in 3, and I found Raiden totally unacceptable in 2. I have to replay Sons of Liberty every now and again, straight through, to remind myself just how awful the ending was.

If they return to their roots of one super-1337 meatwad taking down giant armored horrors and cliche villains with a hoard of weapons he carries in his back pocket, I'm all aboard the next installment. If we're going to go the whiny jackleg (eat cartwheels!) with a psycho-crazy GF/co-worker and hours of villains talking about how awesome they are, including what are presumably ghosts, then Kojima can keep his alloyed cogs to himself.

I wanted 3 to find Snake going after that one character's child, with Raiden completely missing. They shouldn't even mention his existence...think of it as creative revisionism.

--edit--

oh yeah, back on topic, PS3 rules, too expensive, have fun for those of you who find it a good value and decide to buy it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Meh. I didn't enjoy the play controls in 3, and I found Raiden totally unacceptable in 2. I have to replay Sons of Liberty every now and again, straight through, to remind myself just how awful the ending was.

If they return to their roots of one super-1337 meatwad taking down giant armored horrors and cliche villains with a hoard of weapons he carries in his back pocket, I'm all aboard the next installment. If we're going to go the whiny jackleg (eat cartwheels!) with a psycho-crazy GF/co-worker and hours of villains talking about how awesome they are, including what are presumably ghosts, then Kojima can keep his alloyed cogs to himself.

I wanted 3 to find Snake going after that one character's child, with Raiden completely missing. They shouldn't even mention his existence...think of it as creative revisionism.

I <3

My only addition is that I know that MGS4 will be just like that...so much hype...then again gears of war is way over hyped as well...soo...

I <3

My only addition is that I know that MGS4 will be just like that...so much hype...then again gears of war is way over hyped as well...soo...

The hype is already starting for MGS4. Apparently we will be seeing Raiden again. I won't divulge more for those who live under a rock for the entire development cycle of a video game, but it does look like it holds potential. Of course, that's a $600 console and a $70 game, so I'd have to want to play a bunch of other games that are PS3 exclusive to warrant that kind of scratch.