Gaming Hard drives

My new motherboard uses this kind of connections...

STORAGE Supported by nForce4 SLI

-- 4 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices

-- 4 x Serial ATA2 devices

-- RAID0, RAID1& RAID 0+1 configuration

What is the fastest kind I can get? and any recommendations? I dont need alot of storage, I just want raw speed and as cheap as possible after that, I never use more than 20 gigs on my HDs anyways. So, is SATA2 the best or what?

me <----- this noob needs help

(edited)

let me start over.

How fast your disc will load will be the RPM speed. You can buy a scsi controller and get a 15k scsi drive, but I doubt you want to do that, 10k raptor drives are the fastest mainstream drive. If you don't get a raptor, then you probably wont see much difference from drive to drive. the higher the cache always the better.

Edited by NOFX

I'm always the first person in game, waiting for other players to join. :biglaugha:

speed isn't always the best thing :D i hate waiting too.

anyway, back on topic. the one i suggested is the best drive for you.

I've used the 37gb raptor and the 74 gb...both rock for games...I have to disagree about RAID 0 improving gaming. I did a bunch of benchmarking with both 37 gb raptors in RAID and not in RAID, and I literally had about a 1% improvement. Maximum PC did an article on that about 1.5 years ago and said basically the same thing.

RAID 0 is great for applications and loading large file and for pagefile stuff, but not much improvement for actually playing games...loading them for first time, maybe but not play time.

The new 150 gb raptor has done really well, but the margin is closing...

New perpendicular drives (like seagate) are fast closing the difference on the Raptor speed advantage...

IF you can only afford 1 drive, I would go with the 500 GB western digital SATA 3.0gb/s 16 mb buffer model...it has beena top performer since it came out and it is pretty cheap...