Blue screen of death!

dragonfly

Computer was A-ok, doing great. Battling it out with my roomy on our 10th DM map for UT 2k4 (i was hosting, LAN), then BOOM.

Blue screen of death for about 1/4 of a second, reboot and nothing else so far. Should I be worried? (cause i am, i didnt like it).

rig:

4200+

WD 250gig sata 2 caviar

asus A8N premium

evga 7900 gtx

600w enermax noisetaker

x-fi platinum

I think that's all the relative info. Can i track the problem down somehow? I've got 2 partitions (one for windows etc and another for games only) and i'm running scandisk on the games partition.

Help?

Computer was A-ok, doing great. Battling it out with my roomy on our 10th DM map for UT 2k4 (i was hosting, LAN), then BOOM.

Blue screen of death for about 1/4 of a second, reboot and nothing else so far. Should I be worried? (cause i am, i didnt like it).

rig:

4200+

WD 250gig sata 2 caviar

asus A8N premium

evga 7900 gtx

600w enermax noisetaker

x-fi platinum

I think that's all the relative info. Can i track the problem down somehow? I've got 2 partitions (one for windows etc and another for games only) and i'm running scandisk on the games partition.

Help?

If you were able to boot into windows fine after that encounter with the BSD, then there shouldn't be anything too serious to worry about. I get BSDs like 1-2 every month and mine still works fine. They always happen on startup though, so I'm not sure what to do there. If it keeps happening, copy down the error code and do a microsoft support search on it. Usually (not all the time mind you) you can find what is wrong with it.

Check your event view in the admin tools for windows xp (assuming thats what you are running). It should be in there under system. It might be a memory issues (stick going bad or what have you). Download the latest MEMTest and see if it finds any errors (it will take some time to run,about 20-30min).

K, thanks for the help guys! Quick too, wow.

Cujo: i thought that too immediately, so i downclocked right away (but still above stock).

I'll look into the event viewer and see what comes up. I tested the memory a month ago (it's only 2 months old) and it was fine then. OCZ Gold pc4000 Ram is the stuff.

Anyway, thanks again.

my advice, having used several oc'd asus/athlon/nvidia combos..

DO NOT have OC while installing any software...!

I've battled the dreaded BSoD many times with a rig almost like yours, and I found everything from faulty SATA cables, to soundblaster driver conflicts, to an agressive OC to blame...

So, if it happens again, back off the OC whilst playing UT> no reason to oc for Unreal Tournament anyways, as the game is not cpu limited as far as framerates go.

I've taken my 4800+ up to a 10 percent OC with only 1-3 fps difference in UT. graphics card is culprit at high settings and high resolution...

GL!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm pretty sure that's what the problem was too. I'm running @ 2.38 atm, and everything checks out. I look at all the event logs I could find, and there is nothing in there that I could see. Part of the problem is i'm not really sure what time it was (i was gaming, :D)

Tek: I've got AA and AF turned on for it too. I still am running @ >150fps (usually 250) in dm maps, and i dont think i've ever gotten below 70 on a huge ons map with 32 people in. That's when i start to notice the difference though, is on those huge maps. Load times are nicer that way too :)

Thanks for the advice on the installing too.

tek, ut is actually one of the most cpu limited games. that's why they don't use it for vid card reviews anymore. i wouldn't say it's as bad as source but it certainly is quite cpu limited with a high end card.