can't keep a good mouse down -just clean the thing

bushwack

I have a old logitech mouse. -----> logitechSEred.jpg Past couple of weeks the mouse wheel been acting funny, not scrolling then scrolling too far. Then a few days ago it was loosing tracking in UT 2004. Hmmm guess time for a mouse.

I tried the G5 before but the thing feels like I'm moving a coconut half. People complain about the Razor mice being too small and too light -must be the mouse for me. BestBuy had the Copperhead on sale for $50 and I had a coupon for 10% off. I walked out the door with the last one, all happy and the like.

Here are my list of complaints from bad to worse: Mouse too long. Mouse base too narrow. Wheel too far towards the front. Wheel button too hard to push. The 2 main mouse buttons too easily clicked. I wanted to rip the the glowing grippy edge thingys off.

I played a few rounds of UT and the mouse irritated me. I seemed to play with slighlty less accuracy but the mouse was uncomfortable. I had to move the mouse with my palm instead of my pivoting with my wrist. I also had to keep my ring finger up where as I could rest it on the button before without clicking. I was reading about the adjustable polling rate the Razor and other mice can do and came across a program where it can adjusted in WinXP. Pulled out the Razor and hooked up my old Logitech. Ran the program and low and behold I changed it from 125 to 500, 250 and 1000 are also supported. But that didn't fix my tracking problem, then for some reason I looked at my laser. There was a tiny hair hung up in it's cavity, funny how I have never thought about cleaning the lens up until this point. Hey it worked, got my tracking back. Next was the wheel, so I took the mouse apart and sure enough there were some tiny fibers where the wheel tracking is. After a good cleaning and a little lube on my switches the mouse operates like brand new.

I took the Razor back for a refund. I'll keep my $10 mouse for now.

And that's my Krystal story. :lol2:

I've found that lint/dead skin is the bane of an optical mouse. I have to use eyebrow tweezers to nab the little waving fibers of lint and cat hair from the optical cavity of the nouse, and sometimes, when just blowing into the mousewheel isn't enough, I have to take the mouse apart and clean out the spokes of the mousewheel.

So far, whenever my mouse (a logitech wheelmouse Optical just like yours, but blue instead of red) starts acting flaky, these two procedures have snapped the mouse right back into tiptop shape.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

I had the same mouse and switched to the razzor about 8 months ago and will never go back. It must be used with a nice Func pad or something as I use a F30.R and it is great, also put it at 2000dpi with 800 mHz and nothing else comes even close. You really should have spent some more time, with something new you need to get use to it NOT expect it to just be perfect out the gate.

I have an old Logitech Mouseman Dual optical mouse that I just cannot part with. I wore the rubber thumb area away and the mousewheel became warped with heavy usage. I just ripped the remaining rubber from the thumb area, and happened to scavenge the whole mousewheel assembly from a cheap Dell mouse we had around that fit (it was a logitech mouse just branded dell).

I have tried to play with other mice, and i cannot stand the feel. When this mouse finally goes I guess I will just quit playing FPS's...

i just was a victim to losing the best mouse i have ever had =[

i dunno what it was called or anything but it was blue, logitech, 3 button wheel mouse (optical)... it was the love of my life and after what seems like FOREVER (i wanna say 4-5 years but only 3 most likely) the cord screwed up.. i would have to bend it strange ways for the mouse to work... and then eventually... there was no more ways to bend it =[

put it to sleep a few months ago... poor thing.

now im using a crappy Microsoft mouse that is too light and sometimes flicks across the screen. my dad had it in his office and he didnt want it. i went to Micro Center a few days ago to see if they still had my mouse... they didnt... and they had the microsoft one for $14... wat a piece of crap it is. i thought it was a mouse microsoft like sent to my dad in the mail or something.

someone! find my mouse again and ill give you my gratitude forever... and at fragfest i'll buy ya a few beers or so.

I've discovered Logitech makes a G3. Essentially the same mouse I am using now but with a couple more buttons and the optics of a G5/G7. Sounds like a winning combo and I shall get one shortly.

lol

But Bush, why do I keep owning you with the G5 then? :D :D :D

Great story!

Come get some!

This happened to my MX510 too. It wouldn't scroll down anymore, but after a game of intense CS, I got tinkled off and slammed my mouse down hard. Afterward the scrollwheel was working again like I just got a new mouse. Although now I have to set my sens back to .7 because 1 was too fast for me..could be the side effect of me slamming the thing lol

I started playing CS with the cheap mouse you have now(well it was entirely so cheap back in 2000). But anyway, that has been my favorite mouse by far, I just wish it had a few more buttons.

Ive tried a intellimouse explorer, intellimouse explorer 2.0 wireless, razor diamondback, and I now I have a logitech mx something another.

This happened to my MX510 too. It wouldn't scroll down anymore, but after a game of intense CS, I got tinkled off and slammed my mouse down hard. Afterward the scrollwheel was working again like I just got a new mouse. Although now I have to set my sens back to .7 because 1 was too fast for me..could be the side effect of me slamming the thing lol

good ol' jewish whacking!