Chicago Server Consolidation

mookie

From the board and lead admins:

In response to the appreciable decline in the atmosphere and sense of community on the Chicago servers, and to the corresponding decrease in player traffic, we have decided that the best course of action is to consolidate Recrudescence and Project Mayhem into a single server, to be named Retrocedence. This is not a decision that was made lightly. We believe that this move will strengthen our community, by reuniting a group which has now been separated for over two years. We also believe that consolidating Recrudescence and Project Mayhem will provide all our players with a better experience by extending the gaming time each day and by allowing more freedom to run a diverse set of maps.

As a compromise between the differing sets of weapon restritions, autosnipers will be restricted, and each team will be allowed only two AWPs. We hope that this will will retain the competitiveness and strategy demanded by playing with snipers as well as the fun, close-quarters fighting and strong teamwork characteristic of Project Mayhem. Saturday Night Customs will continue, as will GunGame on Thursdays. ZombieMod is to be tried out, and Open Sight Slaughter will be returning unchanged. All snipers will be restricted on Tuesday evenings, and all weapons will be unrestricted on Friday evenings. This is a complete blending of Recrudescence and Project Mayhem, intended to retain the best qualities of both servers with full-time weapon restrictions, part-time play with each of the two distinct styles, and the continuation of existing special events.

default config: 2 AWP/team, no autosnipers

Tuesday 6pm-12am est: No Snipers

Thursday 9pm-11pm est: GunGame

Friday 6pm-12am est: Stock

Saturday 9pm-??? est: Custom Map Night

We recognize that this will be a big change for all of our Chicago players, and have only made this decision after careful consideration. Traffic has declined sharply recently (Recrudescence, Project Mayhem), and there have been a lot of comments that the feeling in the servers is just not what it used to be. We know that not everyone will be happy with this change, but we hope that everyone will find a better gaming experience as a result of it.

This change will be effective sometime on Sunday, January 21st, with the new server to be found at retro.gcftw.com.

(edited)

I don't like the idea of only having a 'stock' server 6 hours a week - and especially on a friday night.... but I def. understand the move - and I think it's the right call. I appreciate the time and thought that went in to this decision by you guys..

This will no doubt guarantee that the hybrid server is full most of the day - and I think it will result in 1 of 2 things (or maybe a combination):

1. more members join GC because they enjoy the server, environment and other regs/members so much and they want a reserved spot.

2. we lose traffic because people are constantly not able to join

Either way - let's make sure the reserve spots are always working :bang: .... :D (let me know if i can help)

Edited by mohawk

I like this arrangment. I especially like the limit of two AWPs per team. Nothing is as annoying as facing a team with six or more AWPs.

I think I'll be spending more time on the midwest servers, West tends to get AWP heavy. AWPs have their place, just don't think they should be so prevelant.

Shaftiel

as someone who admins and plays both servers regularly i like the idea, however i would like to see a larger server size if we are going to consolidate the servers.

i forsee a lot of traffic, and that the reserve spots will prob be taken most all of the time.

personally i thought two servers was a bit more defined and straightforward. but let's see how this goes.

GC Alumni
Any news about a VIP map night here and there?

Given that there are rarely any new VIP maps out, probably not. Of course, VIP maps are customs.

i wouldn't mind hearing some more info on server size if anyone else is interested

I think it is tentatively 24+1.

I think this seems to be a great solution to what I hear a lot of people saying, fragmented community etc.

This can only lead people to play together who wouldn't normally, and we should get more of a continous admin presence to change things up when needed, and get rid of those not needed.

Just wanted to check that custom's night will be mostly (if not all) scopeless, one of the fun parts is getting to play a new map without being AWPed from the other side.....

GC Alumni
Just wanted to check that custom's night will be mostly (if not all) scopeless, one of the fun parts is getting to play a new map without being AWPed from the other side.....

I think that is the plan right now, but I know some people who will remain anonymo want to try some customs with snipers.

As a member I support this decision. I also thank to the board for the effort to make the "consolidated" server very balanced with regards to features. (AWP and other elements.)

It is very unfortunate that traffic is on a decline but watching costs is key to make survival until the trend turns.

I personally noticed recently that at any point in time I was playing the two servers combined had around 50% of the slots taken so having two servers just reduced the "concentration" of players... This also justifies for me the rational of the decision.

As always: if there is anything I can do for the coalition over and beyond being a regular member let me know.

GO GO GO!