worth it?

stutters

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...t_code=52555685

response time is actually 5ms, not 2.

a flat panel has been on my list for a longtime. priority usage:

1. display area (for productivity apps)

2. gaming

i don't want it to look like poo for games, but it by no means has to be top of the line. i'm coming from a 19" crt with bad color. someday i'd like to have duals, but not today.

I can't really comment on that monitor's specs (I bought a samsung from newegg after reading some reviews on them), but for me it was like stepping from analog tv to HDTV. Just the clarity of the screen was worth it.

And the more I work on my widescreen laptop, the more I wish I'd gone widescreen with an LCD for the desktop.

The attorney's office right next to mine uses 2 19" widescreens in each office, one normal and the other turned 90 degrees for document prep. It's pretty impressive (They have like 6 people set up like this, and 3 others with just dual regular 17" LCDs).

I'm shopping for one of these atm as well..

I saw the dell down at $296, but just missed it.. haven't seen it at $279..

There is an Acer, viewsonic, and BenQ or whatever that are all very similar - probably for the reason cujo stated.

Anybody else already have one that they game on that can weigh in? I'm concerned that 1680 x 1050 or whatever they is going to make it too grainy. I'd like to go 1900 x 1200 but you're looking at double the price..

m2 - hook it up with some 20% and free shipping coupons from Dell...

Yea a lot of lcd hdtv companys use one company for a lot of their monitors and just rename them. For instance, LG monitors are used almost exclusivly for Advent, Maxent, Olevia etc. So when you buy these you may be thinking your buying a cheap alternative to the major brands but your actually buying good LG monitors for cheaper. :D

Anybody else already have one that they game on that can weigh in? I'm concerned that 1680 x 1050 or whatever they is going to make it too grainy. I'd like to go 1900 x 1200 but you're looking at double the price..

my dad is goin away in a week. i'll steal his for a few days and game on it.

i don't know what you mean by grainy... to me, every lcd monitor looks pixely. could be because they're made up of pixels. on 1920x1200 res, all hdtv looks grainy.

I'm shopping for one of these atm as well..

I saw the dell down at $296, but just missed it.. haven't seen it at $279..

There is an Acer, viewsonic, and BenQ or whatever that are all very similar - probably for the reason cujo stated.

m2 - hook it up with some 20% and free shipping coupons from Dell...

i play on a 20" widescreen lcd on 1680 x 1050 and it looks fine, and i only paid 200 after shipping and mail in rebate for it. the only downside is you can't adjust the angle the the screen sits at.

my dad is goin away in a week. i'll steal his for a few days and game on it.

i don't know what you mean by grainy... to me, every lcd monitor looks pixely. could be because they're made up of pixels. on 1920x1200 res, all hdtv looks grainy.

Yes - pixely is what i'm talking about. I'm imagining stretching my 19" lcd that is 1280 x 1025 - 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches up and only adding 400 x 50 pixels..

..since you seem to be a crt guy at a heart - i'll be anxiously waiting to see what you think of that resolution for that size screen.

When playing at 1680x1050 on a 24" with F.E.A.R., it did look a LITTLE pixely (by that I mean the edges werent super rounded) but it wasnt terrible. It was not much worse than playing at 1280x1024 on my 19", and I went from 19 to 24. I am, however, playing UT at 1920x1200, but it doesnt really look less pixely, just more... "clear" if that make sense.

You'll be fine at 1680x1050 imo.