iPhone rant

[LaW]Maverick

My iPhone thoughts (more of a rant...fan-boys beware)

1.) iPhone has non-expandable memory. I have a PPC phone (xv6700) that costs less than half of what the iPhone will, and I can go buy 2 gig memory cards for $18. If I need more memory, I buy a little more, and I'm set. I can store all the music and movies I want to and watch them on my phone.

2.) The iPhone has a beautiful user interface, it really does. You'll get no argument out of me there, but I've already heard in a radio review (might have been the npr one) that the keyboard is somewhat difficult to use. So, keep in mind, not only does a GUI have to be pretty, but it's more important that it works well.

3.) Every single feature the iPhone tries to show off, my phone already has. The GUI is just different and it doesn't look as sleek.

4.) 3rd party software support is non-existent. I can go online and buy everything from GPS navigation software to cyber pets for my PPC and can be sure that it all will work. This is also a failling of the Motorola Q. Heck, I even have X-Com on my PPC as well as a Nintendo and Super Nintendo emulator. iPhones have a completely proprietary operating system, so don't get your hopes up for 3rd party support any time soon.

5.) The battery is internal and non-removable (last I heard) like the iPods. Now, with the constant use of Cell phones, batteries have a tendency to go bad. What happens when you have to get a new one for your iPhone? Will Apple allow the technical guys at AT&T to take the phone apart and replace it for you? I doubt it because they don't allow anyone to do that with iPods. So you have to take it into your cell-phone store, and they will have to send it to Apple, then you have to wait to get it back--in the mean time you're stuck with the crappy loaner phone.

6.) The battery life on the thing is dang good, a definite plus.

7.) $499 or $599 for a phone that is only available if you sign a 2 year contract is ridiculous. Especially when you can buy the same one I have for $200. And before you ask, yes, my phone does have Wi-Fi as well as a slide down physical keyboard with nice big keys.

To put it plain and simple, you're paying $600 for something that looks pretty, but really isn't innovative. It's a huge rip-off because there's nothing truly innovative (aside from impressive battery life) about the thing. Besides, I can go spend $50 and get an extended life battery and have the same performance. The antennae is internal, so it's hard to tell whether it will even get good signal, and you're stuck with it for 2 years even if you hate it. Worst of all, you paid $600 for it! The GUI is sweet, so I could see paying..maybe...$350 or $400 tops, but to pay $600 for something I can't expand or repair locally doesn't sound good to me at all.

Well, that's my 2 cents...I guess I'll shut up now :-) People will buy anything with the right marketing as long as it's the "cool" thing to do! :peace:

(edited)

I mean...I LOVE the iPhone...and my ipod and my new Macbook Pro...but I am definitely waiting for version 2.0 of the iphone.

however I will disagree with some of your points.

for one...every review I have read has said that the keyboard was hard to work with AT FIRST...but after a few days of using it, it feels just as natural and perfect as could be.

as for innovative...I think when people hear the word innovative...they want to see new technologies and more power and longer battery life, etc. etc. The problem with that is that Apple doesn't innovate that way.

part of the definition of innovative is

producing something like nothing done or experienced before

Apple's biggest thing is that they make things look gorgeous.

The ipod wasn't incredibly innovative as an MP3 player alone...it was innovative in the packaging it placed an MP3 player in and the interface it provided to the user. The same is definitely true of the iphone. The innovation is in the packaging and experience...not so much the hardware.

That said...my next phone is going to allow me to connect to the internet through 3G to use on my laptop...the iphone won't do that...

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

how much did you pay for your phone when you bought it? Did you get a contract?

dont wanna be stuck in a contract? Prepaid Iphone

yes high prices when you dont go with a contract, but what do you expect.

btw your stuck in a cingular contract, not an iphone contract. You dont like it? take out your sim card and sell it on ebay.

No 3rd party apps huh? :) click the smile :P

You can buy a full 2 gig memory card for your phone? put 2 of those in your phone for the space of the lowest iphone. might not have expandable memory, but it has large internal. And apple will make changes every year or so to the iphone

the only inovative thing is the battery life? Multi touch screen, rotating between landscape and portrait depending on how your holding it, visual voicemail and the screen going off when your bring it up to your ear for a phone call has all been done before i guess.

i dont see how someone could get used to a new keyboard during a 1 week review. some people hate blackberry keyboards, others love them. I couldnt send text messages quickly when i got my razr, but i got used to the text input and now can respond very quickly.

programs such as Google Maps might work, but not my Nintendo emulators or the Garmin software (it's not based on web 2.0)

It's still a MUCH smaller 3rd party support base than what I have with my phone

I can push a button to make the screen go off when it comes up to my ear

I can push a button to rotate the screen, and it automatically does when I slide my keyboard down.

I can buy 18 gigs worth of memory cards and carry them in my phone case as they take up very very little space

My phone without a contract is only $500 I believe ( I have to check on that )

I agree that the iPhone looks sweet, but I'm not paying $600 for something that just looks cool. What Apple is good at is marketing. There are several mp3 players out there with more features and better sound quality than the iPod, yet the iPod is still the giant in the market...it's all 'bout the packaging like Playaa said.

For me, the iPhone doesn't present anything that hasn't been done, but I do agree that it represents a new way to look at things that are already done. That's not a bad thing really, my biggest complaint about the whole thing is the price. It's ridiculous, and I don't care what you say, I will never change my mind 'bout that. I would buy one, fan of Apple or not, if it cost $300 in a heart beat, because the features are there, and it does look SWEET. $600 though? I mean come on. For what? It's like putting a giant spoiler on your car, it's not functional, but at least YOU think it looks sweet. :peace:

Why am I so angry 'bout the price? Simple: when new stuff comes out to compete with the iPhone, and the next generation of PDA phones is launched, guess what? The prices will all be much higher than they are now because of how well the iPhone is going to sell. That means, whether I like the iPhone or not, if I want a PDA in my next phone I might be forced to pay iPhone prices, and that makes me angry. :boo:

hahaha...I love you SJ

On a side note: no GPS for $600? :boo: You can get a $20 phone and do that, complete with turn by turn directions

Again, it's not the device itself that ticks me off, it's the fact that I'm going to have to pay a fortune for my next phone because of the iPhone craze :boo:

I dont know why im responding

your comparing your phones 3rd party community (which has had a full year to create develop and release programs) to a phone that isnt even released yet? lol

plus your phone runs windows mobile correct?

Your phone was 399 with a contract when it was released (according to the interweb) thats 100 off the lowest iphone with 30x the internal storage. You paid more for your 2gb micro sd card right. I dont even see a 4gb card for sale yet in microsd, they were announced in February i believe, but no launch date. Yes you can carry multiple cards around, but who wants to carry extra accessories for there cell phone, and take one out to get to other info constantly

some people dont want cell phone pda's that are thicker than there laptops. (comparing your phone to a MBP)

Im not gonna buy it right away, possibly after the first revision. and when signing a contract will give me a discount.

Nobody here is gonna be able to change your mind. It has an apple logo and you are as extremely biased towards it before it has even been released.

yah, busted apple hater. your price logic is about 3 years late and off a company:

It was 2004 when the RAZR launched in the US as a high-end design clamshell. It was $600, with a $100 dollar rebate from Cingular. Reviewers complained about the price, but back then the phone was revolutionary enough that no one could pan it. It dialed, like any other phone, and did basic text messaging, and more. But it was just a thin, beautiful design ahead of it's time. And it sold. Especially after it dropped in price, after launch, like all phones do. Within 2 years, it shipped its 50 millionth phone worldwide.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/history-lessons...ight-270353.php

yah, busted apple hater. your price logic is about 3 years late and off a company:
It was 2004 when the RAZR launched in the US as a high-end design clamshell. It was $600, with a $100 dollar rebate from Cingular. Reviewers complained about the price, but back then the phone was revolutionary enough that no one could pan it. It dialed, like any other phone, and did basic text messaging, and more. But it was just a thin, beautiful design ahead of it's time. And it sold. Especially after it dropped in price, after launch, like all phones do. Within 2 years, it shipped its 50 millionth phone worldwide.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/history-lessons...ight-270353.php

Excellent point! It goes against my price complaint, but it's a great point.

I'm not trying to be biased, and I didn't buy a Zune to make phone calls, I bought my phone to do that. My memory card cost me $20, so that puts the phone well below the cost of the iPhone, even if I bought 2, it's $60 cheaper. I don't see how pointing out that the iPhone doesn't really do a whole lot in the way of new stuff besides look really really cool is being biased.

I don't like iPods, this is true--that's because I don't like the software (which is nothing more than a preference). I will agree that the current generation is a good product, and I will also agree that a few of the features I was excited about for the Zune let me down (primarily the crippled WiFi). If I could go back and do it again, I'd probably buy a Creative mp3 player, but that's a whole different story. I listen to books from Audible on my phone as well as watch videos (like whole seasons of Red vs. Blue).

M2, I was also comparing Windows Mobile 3rd party support which has been around for a LONG time, and I was simply pointing out that if you buy an iPhone now (which is brand new) it hasn't has the time to generate the amount of 3rd party support that Windows Mobile enjoys. Maybe in time it will, however, Apple is usually a lil' more picky 'bout 3rd party developers. If gen2 can tether, has GPS, and has either a really big HD or expandable memory, I would definitely consider buying one...heck, I would buy one for a reasonable price. Apple or no, the thing looks sweet, and I love the GUI. <===something positive about Apple :peace:

So the hype dies down, they come out with Gen2, and the price goes to where it should be...then maybe I'll get it. For the record, I had these arguments with people about the RAZR when it launched because of its ridiculous price point. :shrug03:

Don't take it personal guys, really. In my defense, you guys see an Apple on it, and you automatically think it's great. :unsure: Even great companies make crappy products every once in a while. Sony made the best tube TV's on the market, yet their LCD's and Plasma TV's kinda suck. That's why when I buy something, I research the crap out of it, and buy whatever I like best and has passable ratings. I don't care who makes it.

Case in point: the Sharp Aquos LCD TV is what I'm going to buy next, and Sharp makes generally crappy electronics...just so happens they make one heck of a good LCD TV. Check out the ratings! :-)