Crysis Demo is released on Sept 25, 2007

Tek-Almighty

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason I can't run Very High on the Water setting, it freezes every time. I don't know if it's something with Vista, video drivers, DX10, or the 64-bit version of the game.

Interested to see what you FPS would be like in XP, rather than Vista...

Online benches are showing a 10% or more FPS hit using DX10 vs. DX9...

IMHO, the eye candy with DX10 is hardly noticeable.

For some reason I can't run Very High on the Water setting, it freezes every time. I don't know if it's something with Vista, video drivers, DX10, or the 64-bit version of the game.

Interested to see what you FPS would be like in XP, rather than Vista...

Online benches are showing a 10% or more FPS hit using DX10 vs. DX9...

IMHO, the eye candy with DX10 is hardly noticeable.

Srsly?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...h&plindex=1

Um, some vid that "shows" the DX10 grandeur (which I've seen before) doesn't convince me of anything. It's not on my machine, it's not at my native resolution, and it has been scaled down anyway...even if it is "HD."

I went through screen caps (dozens of them) in DX9 and DX10 and I fail to see anything "astounding."

Like I said, IMHO.

I would like to see some GC guys post screen caps in DX10 and DX9 at same res (full res) and we can judge for ourselves.

Well for some reason I got my next issue of PC gamer extremely early, has a review for Crysis in it. While I know that this doesn't mean it will be exactly like it says it will, PCgamer gave it a 98%... I'm really looking forward to this now.

Um, some vid that "shows" the DX10 grandeur (which I've seen before) doesn't convince me of anything. It's not on my machine, it's not at my native resolution, and it has been scaled down anyway...even if it is "HD."

I went through screen caps (dozens of them) in DX9 and DX10 and I fail to see anything "astounding."

Like I said, IMHO.

Even the god-rays are awesome. I guess it depends on how you define "astounding". It's not like a jump from dx8 to dx9.0c. It shouldnt be anyway. These are some of the first dx10 games out, so it's more like the potential is there right now. Even the crysis developers said that they dont have a gfx card out yet that can handle absolutely everything maxed with best textures, soft shadows, EVERYTHING and still have good frame rates.

I can see a diff between dx10 and dx9 - the shadows alone are obvious. Maybe not "astounding", but still obvious.

While trying to figure out my monitor probs I unistalled the beata drivers and reloaded current drivers. Rerunning the benches I got better scores:

Athlon X2 @ 2.3 - 8800 GTS 320mb - 1 gig DDR

1680x1050 all on high

Bets drivers:

CPU= 10.9

GPU=7.75

163.44 drivers (oops with vsync on)

CPU= 20.49

GPU=20.86

Might want to try current stable drivers all! Big difference. :thumbsup:

This is interesting...

I popped in another 2 x 512 ddr today, to bring the system total up to 3 gb (2.73 for win XP) and I got this:

All setting medium @ 1680 x 1050

MIN 12.96

MAX 37.75

AVG 24.50

Now if you remember previous post, I was AVG of 20.88...

I just jumped 20% by adding another gig of ram.

FTW...how is that a GPU bench?

I am still using 163.71 drivers btw.

I just applied the new drivers and scored within 5fps of my previous scores for both GPU and CPU......

Higher or lower?...And what % is that compared to orig.

Hmm...also changing resolution has an almost equivalent (1:1) affect on those benches...

e.g. I went from 1680 x 1050 to 1440 x 900 and gained about 25% faster avg fps, which is pretty telling, as those resolutions are about 26.5% diff in pixel count. Good to know...some games don't scale like that.

Well, my original scores were:

CPU= 30.51

GPU= 32.75

at 1680x1050 with everything on high, I don't have the exact numbers in front of me and I did only run 1 pass on both the GPU and CPU benchmarks last night, but they came in around:

CPU 32ish

GPU 35ish

I didn't run the tests with everything on medium and I did notice the "multiple display" post after I'd run it, I'll probably run them again this evening, let them run all the way through and make sure it's set at 1 monitor.

Now that I figured out my performance problem I redid the Crysis benchmarks. New test numbers are in bold.

GPU all setting on High at 1680 x 1050

Min: 10.83

Max: 29.27

AVG: 22.86

GPU all setting on High at 1680 x 1050

Min: 12.82

Max: 37.68

AVG: 29.42

GPU all setting on Very High (Water on High) at 1680 x 1050

Min: 5.96

Max: 11.51

AVG: 10.32

GPU all setting on Very High (Still no Very High Water :() at 1680 x 1050

Min: 3.35

Max: 19.97

AVG: 16.32

Much better... besides that min FPS on Very High, but I can look passed that. :)

Edited by VooDooPC

• 1 month later...

IM assuming you guys know about this:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...ysis-demo-on-xp

a copy/paste that enables DX10 crysis demo on a DX9 machine it seems...been seeing it pop up here and there for a while, so I assume you already heard about it...but I wonder what it means about DX10..

Makes you wonder a lil bit about microsoft and DX10....Their wording things certain ways gets a lot of gamers to upgrade to Vista for DX10....when maybe it wasnt so neccesary?