Another Gaming-Related Death

Unclean

Man dies after 3-day gaming binge

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A man in southern China appears to have died of exhaustion after a three-day Internet gaming binge, state media said Monday.

The 30-year-old man fainted at a cyber cafe in the city of Guangzhou Saturday afternoon after he had been playing games online for three days, the Beijing News reported.

Paramedics tried to revive him but failed and he was declared dead at the cafe, it said. The paper said that he may have died from exhaustion brought on by too many hours on the Internet.

The report did not say what the man, whose name was not given, was playing.

The report said that about 100 other Web surfers "left the cafe in fear after witnessing the man's death."

China has 140 million Internet users, second only to the U.S.. It is one of the world's biggest markets for online games, with tens of millions of players, many of whom hunker down for hours in front of PCs in public Internet cafes.

Several cities have clinics to treat what psychiatrists have dubbed "Internet addiction" in users, many of them children and teenagers, who play online games or surf the Web for days at a time.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/17/interne...h.ap/index.html

Anyone know what game he was playing?

there are cities in China that have higher populations than some STATES in the U.S. I'm willing to bet that these "Internet Cafe's" are not the little 10-20 computer things we're used to seeing in our neck of the woods.

It is entirely probably that the workers in that cafe have so many people to deal with that they don't know how long someone has been there.

When I first read this topic title I thought "oh great, someone else is gonna ad fuel to the anti video game fire by brutally killing a few dozen people and also being an avid gamer" then I read the actual meat of the post and I just kinna shook my head. That sort of thing makes me sad to see. People need to know their limits.

When I first read this topic title I thought "oh great, someone else is gonna ad fuel to the anti video game fire by brutally killing a few dozen people and also being an avid gamer" then I read the actual meat of the post and I just kinna shook my head. That sort of thing makes me sad to see. People need to know their limits.

Either way I'm sure Jack Thompson will jump on it.

there are cities in China that have higher populations than some STATES in the U.S. I'm willing to bet that these "Internet Cafe's" are not the little 10-20 computer things we're used to seeing in our neck of the woods.

It is entirely probably that the workers in that cafe have so many people to deal with that they don't know how long someone has been there.

Good point.

And Ringadon -- don't you think that there are some people that DON'T know their limits? I'd liken this story to a Darwin Award, but there are lots of people that don't know limits, be it booze, food, tv, internet, golf, whatever. I think it's a good thing that some videogames/videogame companies are taking steps to help those that can't control themselves. I've seen "please take a break" messages in Guild Wars, WoW, and on the Wii. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

On a side note, I see this turning into a political discussion real quick. :) Mods, feel free to move if it gets to that point.

And Ringadon -- don't you think that there are some people that DON'T know their limits? I'd liken this story to a Darwin Award, but there are lots of people that don't know limits, be it booze, food, tv, internet, golf, whatever. I think it's a good thing that some videogames/videogame companies are taking steps to help those that can't control themselves. I've seen "please take a break" messages in Guild Wars, WoW, and on the Wii. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

On a side note, I see this turning into a political discussion real quick. :) Mods, feel free to move if it gets to that point.

The whole point of my saying that people need to know their limits was to call attention to the fact that there are so many people that don't.

Chinese government killed him to ensue fear in their people, it's how things get done over there apparently. (note 100 people left the cafe after witnessing the event)

Oh and he wasn't playing a game he was figuring out the keyboard on his iPhone