Another tv topic

Playaa

so I'm looking to purchase a 2nd tv now that I've got a roommate.

I want something no smaller than 32" and the closer to 40"+ the better.

I would prefer a flat screen (LCD or Projection...I honestly don't have an opinion either way).

I can't get HD in my area through satellite or cable, can only get over the air broadcasts and they don't broadcast anything I want to watch.

I would like to get an HDTV just for future possibilities...but if I can save a ton by going with "HD Ready" I will do that.

I would love, love, love, love, love to spend less than $700.

is this possible?

suggestions?

I know jack squat about this and don't even know where to begin on research.

are you suggesting that over the Viewsonic I posted?

is Westinghouse a better brand?

The only one I have heard great reviews about is this one

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tHfFrdfdeOd/A...2430&tp=161

quick reviews on found on this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...customerReviews

That is a 42 and out of the price range though. The one I posted before looked like the same model but smaller and not 1080p.

IMO I would save up another month or two and get something you will be happy with instead of compromising to make the purchase right away.

Your not in need for a nice tv right now correct? You cant even get HD you said. Get a cheap non-hdtv for right now imo, and save up for the nice one in the future (might only take a month or 2)

I haven't heard anything good or bad about the viewsonic tv's, but i love there monitors so that have to make decent tv's

cnet has a review on your viewsonic one http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vie...ss&tag=_TVs

Viewsonic = much better than Westinghouse...

That being said, if you want LCD, Sharp AQUOS is the way to go...they aren't cheap, but they're not the most expensive

The Sharps have great ratings for picture quality as well as life-span.

I agree with M2 though, save up another month and wait until you can buy something you're happy with. Or, if you want to wait 5 more months, there should be some big price-drops due to newer technology supposedly coming out, though there is no hard evidence that they'll hit their release date. (I'm talking about laser TV's)

OLED TV's are coming out right 'round now, but they're really small and unlikely to affect TV's 40"+ for another few years (until they get bigger).

That's just my 2 cents. If you want to pay $700 this year and $700 next year, there are some great financing options available and you could really get a killer TV at 'bout 40"

yeah CNet is where I read all of my reviews.

as for "saving for another month", it's not about lack of money, it's about lack of willingness to spend a large amount of money on something that just lets me watch moving pictures. (which is, ironically, the only thing I've done with my Macbook for the last 2 weeks...awkward)

I actually like that 42" Westinghouse for $1k...I could see going for that option.

I'm gonna look into Sharps though, as I've never heard a bad thing about them and the few that I've seen were drop dead gorgeous.

I'm not in a rush to buy (well, not any more than I usually am when I want some large piece of technology...I love my toys!) so I'll probably keep this topic going and keep posting up sites and tv's.

someone suggested I should just wait until the day after Thanksgiving and go brave the crowds then...if I can wait that long I might do it.

Well...if you're not watching HD programming or playing a 360, PS3 or PC with it why get a HDTV? Just get a regular tube TV as they are fantastically cheaper and will display a better "non" HD picture than an LCD/Plasma/Projection TV.

If you must, just get that Viewsonic. While you could search around and maybe find a mail in rebate on something else you might as well just save your time and effort and settle on the viewsonic. There's so little difference these days in the 32" range that it doesn't totally matter which brand you buy.

It's too bad you missed M2's deal...

yeah, I'm very unhappy that I missed M2's deal.

as for why I don't want a regular tv...space and looks. I cannot stand CRT's in any form anymore. They are big, bulky, ugly and generally pointless.

also, I'm not planning on using it for HD right NOW. I do want to have the capability in the future though and I don't buy tv's that often. In fact the last one I bought was....10 years ago (though to be fair that was replaced 4 years ago by the one my father bought).

Makes sense to me, why spend money on something you'll just want to replace in a year or 2.

That being said, be careful with CNET, I've found some of their reviews to be somewhat bias...though there is a lot of good info in there.

I love my AQUOS, and I researched LCD's for 'bout a year before I bought it. If CRT's didn't weigh 220+ lbs. if you get above 30", I'd have bought one though. They look pretty impressive picture quality wise. My bro has a 37" CRT (I think that's how big it is) and it weights 287 lbs...hurt myself getting it out of his truck...lol

My 52" AQUOS weighs 114 lbs (I think) and it was light as hell with my Dad holding up the other end. :-) Ya' gotta love it, especially when we're planning to move a few times over the next 4 years or so. :peace:

i've got a 32" sharp aquos at my cottage and it's pretty nice. just have to get the satellite upgraded to the hd one and we can take full advantage of it.

playaa, i'm trying to figure out how you CAN'T get satellite in your area... do you live in a forest?

i've got a 32" sharp aquos at my cottage and it's pretty nice. just have to get the satellite upgraded to the hd one and we can take full advantage of it.

playaa, i'm trying to figure out how you CAN'T get satellite in your area... do you live in a forest?

I was wondering the same thing.

no, I actually do have satellite (DirecTV) but both DishNetwork and DirecTV use separate satellites for their HD content than for their SD content. The problem is that the HD satellites are lower on the horizon than the SD ones. I can get a good view of the sky for the SD ones but not the HD ones (unless I want to cut down 2 trees that are over 100 years old).

and yes, I do live in the woods pretty much...well, a sub-division that is in the woods...but still in the woods. I only have dial up internet too, but at least I have electricity :P

no, I actually do have satellite (DirecTV) but both DishNetwork and DirecTV use separate satellites for their HD content than for their SD content. The problem is that the HD satellites are lower on the horizon than the SD ones. I can get a good view of the sky for the SD ones but not the HD ones (unless I want to cut down 2 trees that are over 100 years old).

and yes, I do live in the woods pretty much...well, a sub-division that is in the woods...but still in the woods. I only have dial up internet too, but at least I have electricity :P

This seems quite fishy...aren't you in Missouri? It just seems weird that the satellite that services the entire United States for DirectTV's HD service is low on the horizon.

Anyways, get a pole.

I mean, this came from the Dish install guys after they spent 30+ minutes going around my property with me trying to find a good location to put the satellites. They then told me that they could still install but I wouldn't have HD unless I wanted them to come out another day and put a 25 foot pole up in the middle of my front yard.

so yes, I COULD get HD satellite if I was willing to kill old trees or put an eyesore in front of my bay window in my living room.