Bought Crysis Today

Tek-Almighty

Well, based on teh demo, I knew I would be purchasing this...and I thought I could be patient enough to wait for a new hdd and GPU purchase, but I can't. I get playable FPS at medium with my current rig at 1680 x 1050. Besides, I will replay each level like 3-4 times, so...if Far Cry is the comparative predecessor, I should still be playing this game when my new hardware comes in a couple of weeks.

Now, if vendors would only restock those superclocked eVGA 8800GTs.

*prays :huh:

I will post up later 2nite or tomorrow with my impressions of 2nd level and onward.

Woot!

I have had the game for a few days, the first level is fine but I cannot pass the second level at all. Every 5 minutes the game freezes up on me. The first level didn't have any freezing or even any pausing or studdering, but I can't even finish the second level because of it. It's gotten to the point where it freezes about 10 seconds after I load my saved game. I've pretty much given up on it.

I'm not sure what level you guys are talking about. I assume its the one after the boat thing from the demo. I can play that with no problem. Game seems to run just fine on:

4200+ dual core

2 gigs of pc3200

8800gts

Hey Tek, you might just want to bump that card up to the 8800gts rather than the gt. The GTS is a better card with better shading and for the price difference I wouldn't even bother with the GT. Look at the difference between the core clocks and the shaders :o

8800GTS-- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2669

8800GT-- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1826

Edited by Primus

That's messed up...

BTW...my experience so far...after playing first level in paid-for game VS. demo...

The full game is MUCH slower FPS-wise. FTW! :unsure: I've set all setting to med or lower and reduced game res to 1440 x 900 and I am STILL well below the FPS I posted in teh demo thread.

Dang...dissatisfied to say the least.

Patch soon plz

I'm not sure what level you guys are talking about. I assume its the one after the boat thing from the demo. I can play that with no problem. Game seems to run just fine on:

4200+ dual core

2 gigs of pc3200

8800gts

Hey Tek, you might just want to bump that card up to the 8800gts rather than the gt. The GTS is a better card with better shading and for the price difference I wouldn't even bother with the GT. Look at the difference between the core clocks and the shaders :o

8800GTS-- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2669

8800GT-- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1826

You MAY be correct about the whole GTS thing...when the NEW GTS comes out.

This is the old one...and it only has 320mb memory...

Crysis is memory hog and even 768 on the GTX is limited.

Check the specs and comparison of the two cards here.

Go to page three to check out the performance in Crysis. The GTS has to run same settings at 1280 x 1024 just to get a slightly lower FPS than the GT does at 1600 x 1200.

Furthermore...from the LINKY you posted for GT and 320mb GTS:

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz

Fill Rate per Second: 33.6 Billion pixels

Additional Features: Vista Ready

HDCP Enabled

HDTV Ready

SLI Ready

OpenGL 2.0

DirectX 10

PCI Express 2.0

Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)

Video Memory: 512MB

Memory Type: DDR3

Core Clock: 600 MHz

Memory Bus: 256-bit

Memory Clock: 2000 MHz

Memory Bandwidth: 57.6GB/sec.

Interface Type: PCI Express 2.0

Interface Speed: 16x

Connector(s): Dual DVI (Dual Link)

HDTV/S-Video

Multiple Monitors Support: Yes

GPU/VPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

RAMDAC: Dual 400 MHz

Additional Features: Vista Ready

RoHS Compliant

HDCP Enabled

HDTV Ready

SLI Ready

OpenGL 2.0

DirectX 10

Maximum Resolution: 2560 x 1600 (Digital)

Video Memory: 320MB

Memory Type: GDDR3

Core Clock: 500 MHz

Memory Bus: 320-bit

Memory Clock: 1600 MHz

Shader Clock: 1200 MHz

Stream Processors: 96

Memory Bandwidth: 64GB/sec.

Interface Type: PCI Express

Interface Speed: 16x

Connector(s): Dual DVI

HDTV/S-Video

Multiple Monitors Support: Yes

The GTS has a core clock of 500 and memory at 1200 with 96 stream processors

The GT has a core clock of 600 (700 for the superclocked) with memory at 1800 and 112 stream processors...

The GT whomps the hell outta the GTS.

Plus it used 65nm process and uses less wattage. Meh.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

Dont have second thoughts. Doz from T5K has had better fps in this game than in the demo. So I guess it's just limited to tek's setup?

So this, "Doz", guy gets better FPS in the full game than in the demo and it's suddenly a fact?

Yep! :)

jk

But it IS sort of natural for the final edition to be a little more refined than the demo, if not at LEAST as good? Am I way off my rocker on this one? Maybe it's the canadian blood in me, seeing as we just discovered electricity last year... :biglaugha:

Game sucks. I'm sure the pretty graphics fill the void for the last 25% of the lame game.

It would be nice if you could back up your argument Tracid...

I'm loving Crysis so far... sure it may slow down my system at max

eVGA 8800GTX, Core2 6700 OC'd @ 3.0 GHz w/ 2GB PC6400 DDR2 G.Skill RAM OC'ed as well (forget to what but the FSB is set to link the CPU and RAM).

I never really got into Far Cry, but I wasn't playing FPS games that much when it came out, I really like how free the levels are, and how there are so many ways to go in. From what I've read on forums, it only gets better as the game goes on... :D.

P.S. I admit, AA seems to slow down the game more then it should... with everything on high in DX9 and AA on 16xQ I was getting really low FPS as well as terrible artifacting... it became so bad that I had to turn it down and the game won't set it back to what it was... oh well... after unlocking max settings in XP that are almost DX10 equivalent and still getting almost playable FPS I'm happy :).

Also, I love how this game will still challenge computers for a long time to come, so a year later you can come back and use Crysis to benchmark your new rig.

Edited by Allanon

I've beaten the game Allanon and it sucks at the end, the zero g level was the worst, so was the ice sphere and jungle and flying, battleship was slightly better and epic but I would have just prefered if the game stayed with the N.Koreans and their made in china Nanosuits. Overall gameplay was just a tad better than Far Cry and graphics for those that just love graphics. Storywise left much to be desire for.

Conclusion: Aliens suck, and this game is only good for those that love benchmarking wagging their pc e-manhood against each other yelling its awesome!

Although multiplayer looks great.

Edited by Tracid

I've beaten the game Allanon and it sucks at the end, the zero g level was the worst, so was the ice sphere and jungle and flying, battleship was slightly better and epic but I would have just prefered if the game stayed with the N.Koreans and their made in china Nanosuits. Overall gameplay was just a tad better than Far Cry and graphics for those that just love graphics. Storywise left much to be desire for.

Conclusion: Aliens suck, and this game is only good for those that love benchmarking wagging their pc e-manhood against each other yelling its awesome!

way to be a buzz-kill :P

I still intend to buy this next spring when I have money to build a new gaming-grade computer. My laptop would cry trying to play this.

Get the GT Tek skip the current GTS models. Just reran the benchmarks with my new GT.

my old GTS score all on medium at 1680x1080:

CPU= 21.96

GPU= 25.69

my new GT scores all on medium and at 1600x1200:

CPU=42.2

GPU=44.2

In reality the game doesn't run twice as fast, but the slowdowns are gone. I'd say it run 20-40% better according to fraps. Like in the begining cut screen with the guys talking before jumping out of the plane I was at a steady 30fps. Now im hitting a steady 43fps. Under normal playing on the beach im hitting between 35-50 fps, usually the upper 30's, before it was the lower 30's. Also the game just runs smoother now with less hiccups. It will be nice when I get a new CPU and more then just 1 gig of ram, but it's gonna have to wait.

GTS with 112 SP's will be out very soon (dec 3?) so you can wait for that. It's the g92 one too, not the 80 like is out now with the extra sp's. It's basically gonna be the GT but faster and with more gram.

Bush, I love how your new gpu bumped up your cpu test... sorta proves that their both just gpu.

Wow...then I must sux...b/c I like game a lot so far, and my PC sux too...no emanhood here.

Wow...then I must sux...b/c I like game a lot so far, and my PC sux too...no emanhood here.

Well everyone has their own level of enjoyment lol. I play way too many games I guess so I am harder on them. But you're gonna feel my pain I suppose when you run out of North Koreans to kill. Its like shooting fish in a bucket but then you have no fish left and all you have is water.

Well everyone has their own level of enjoyment lol. I play way too many games I guess so I am harder on them. But you're gonna feel my pain I suppose when you run out of North Koreans to kill. Its like shooting fish in a bucket but then you have no fish left and all you have is water.

You play "way too many games?"

Well, I've been gaming since 1983 and been pc gaming since 1990...I might qualify as having played "a lot of games."

But, meh, who knows.

All I know is this:

1. Crysis (and Far Cry) is a really pretty and engaging shooter.

2. I don't always need instant action, shoot-em-up rampage, e.g. UT, CSS, COD, etc...

3. Crysis invovles a lot of strat.

4. I like that there are many paths to goal.

5. Cool weapons

6. GREAT graphics

7. Outstanding soundscape...

Ones mans meal is anothers meatloaf...

Good on you mate.

Turns out something with DX10 was crashing my game, so no very high until something comes along and fixes it. :(

You can play Very High settings in XP without DX10...if you were to default to XP that is.

There are lots of sites that have the "hack" that will allow you to do this.

I was thinking about that but I wonder if it would performance worst because it's not using DX10 at all, or would it preform the same because the "DX10 effects" don't use DX10 at all? Maybe it's the DX10 effects themselves crashing my game, so even running them under DX9 could cause crashes? I don't know any of the answers.

I was thinking about that but I wonder if it would performance worst because it's not using DX10 at all, or would it preform the same because the "DX10 effects" don't use DX10 at all? Maybe it's the DX10 effects themselves crashing my game, so even running them under DX9 could cause crashes? I don't know any of the answers.

I've been trying to find a great article I read a few days ago that benched the "very hi" hacked in DX9 vs. the "very hi" for DX10...

frame for frame, the true "very hi" for DX10 just ran slower.

I will post linky if I can find.

I've been trying to find a great article I read a few days ago that benched the "very hi" hacked in DX9 vs. the "very hi" for DX10...

frame for frame, the true "very hi" for DX10 just ran slower.

I will post linky if I can find.

That's what I have for my config, it's basically just opening up the settings and copying and pasting a few lines of code so that you run in very high mode in DX9 that's not quite DX10 very high mode.