amazon kindle

stutters

This isn't the first of these devices to come out. Heck, even Sony made one. They're not catching on, and I think the main reason is that it's cheaper to buy books (at least for the time being) and the companies that make the devices aren't having an easy time of getting rights for books to put on the things. In other words, I can walk into a book store or hop online and buy any book I want, but I doubt the Kindle has the Martian Tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs for me to read....

I think what MAY make this one succeed...is that it is always on the Amazon store.

It uses EV-DO to connect to Amazon's store from anywhere in the world and you can purchase and download books straight to it.

I really do hope the thing succeeds because I would love for this technology to catch on and decrease in price...but that won't happen until one of them becomes moderately popular with people that can afford it.

by all means correct the stupidty of my comment here...

I bought an extremely small and light weight laptop off ebay 3+ years ago for $325. It comes with 866Mhz and a 12.1 in screen. It can read e-books perfectly. It can also do many many other things. What benefit would I see from switching over from my laptop to using this for reading my ebooks?

I'd say none if that's what you're going for NOFX. I think what these things are trying to do is completely replace books in your life...so if you want to sit in bed and read, or carry it with you while you walk around the house, etc.

Wired has actually done a nice comparison of the Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle.

I hope it does succeed as well, but I dunno, they're going to have to make these things dirt cheap first...I think that's the key

I mean, I can go buy a "laptop for kids" by ASUS for $300 that has full internet access and all that jazz and read books on there. I can download them from the Amazon e-books store too, and with my cell phone as a modem, I can access EV-DO and download 'em from anywhere. In other words--why the devil would they want $400 for the thing? It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I truly hope these catch on, but I also truly hope that the price goes down, and fast. I'd like to see something like an E-Book addition to mp3 players, it'd be easy to incorporate on higher-end players like Zunes, iPods, some Creatives, etc., and if a company like MS decided to put the book-reader on their Zunes, you could sell them through the Zune marketplace just like you could sell them through iTunes. It makes sense, and I wouldn't mind reading a book to go on my Zune screen. It wouldn't be as nice as one of these big ones, but meh, it wouldn't suck either.. ;)

Edited by [LaW]Maverick