The End of the [GC] Unreal Tournament Community

MaDPaT

(edited)

There is no gc server for ut2004 after ut3 withdrawal from server.

Some of us would like ut2004 server reinstalled as a stop gap (Tek, Dingy) but seems not enough of us to matter.

Servers pubbed in do not have acceptable ping for all of us to get together unlike Nepenthe. (Me, Tek, Bush)

GC Unreal community is now busy with other games and activities. (Lex, Dark, Wentz, Bush)

GC Unreal forum has been just talk and no relevant information. Non that is really acted upon anyway.

The final opinion posted by those in charge is that we wait until ut3 gets modded (if) and everyone will come back (to non existent server)?

Entropy and time are not a good combination for a gaming community.

I have enjoyed playing with all of you while it lasted.

Edited by MaDPaT

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More drama Pat, pls.

I spent the weekend playing on various 2K4 servers on and off as StorewideSavings.

Paying for a server if no one going to use it is not good for anyone. At any given time there are maybe 100+ people playing ONS, according to the game browser at least - that's with the standard servers tab *off*.

Omnipotents is mostly full but with horrible stutter on half the maps (which are modded all to hell)

Carcass has got peeps 50/50

Handful of other servers have a couple.

And then there are the Torlan servers - full of noobs, all Torlan, all the time... Not to mention half the names are stuff we usually don't allow on our servers.

As I said last week, we'd either shut down or make the switch to 2K4 this weekend - Hey! Holiday! Long weekend!

I've got the note in to Viper to flip it to 2K4, but I can't make GC folks play the game - if it lies dead, the switch will go off.

-Fk

EDIT: Up at the usual IP (72.51.60.245), just ONS atm.

(edited)

GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD.. ***BANG***

jk.. as recent history has shown it might take a little more organization and leadership to plan a night or two a week of UT2k4 play amongst us GC folk. AND DISCUSS

Edited by Wentz

I'm sorry I haven't been around much. I'm totally hooked on online poker and I had to get a second job to pay for diapers etc. I always have time to play a game of ons or tam with you guys. Somebody decide when and where.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much. I'm totally hooked on online poker and I had to get a second job to pay for diapers etc. I always have time to play a game of ons or tam with you guys. Somebody decide when and where.

Look upon the above and despair Wentz!

-Fk

You smell that? It is beyond chemical. :zombie:

Btw, I'd be remiss to not say I'm sorry to see this happening...however, Flitter states it quite the way it is....there's no point to pay for something that's not used.

No need for drama, no need for finger pointing...it's just another chapter coming to an end. Other chapters are waiting to be written....who will help write them and who will be around to play a part in them just remains to be seen.

~toodles~

+1

Flitter and I were on for quite a while tonight and played with a few guys (they have probably logged 50hours or less combined). We coulda used some GC's in there, thought I quite enjoyed only being killed by Flitter. As long as I stayed away I was safe :)

I've been poping in here and there on 2k4 servers again. Feels pretty good to play the good ole ONS. I have a hard time playing on some of those other servers though, as Carcass and Omni are just to speratic for me. I can't get a hit with a shock to save my life in those servers. I pop in to Sayunkle from time to time but you guys don't like the berserk play much. My pings aren't to bad but its the glitching that I can't deal with. Its more maps than not with those servers.

I would be glad to play with you guys just post up where and when and jump in. I have been working on a web site lately and getting ready to start a new job so I haven't been playing much. I've been on COD 4 with my server for weekend tournaments at my brothers store. My playing time may come to a very slow crawl here soon as I am starting at ArcelorMittal Steal company in Indiana in about a month. Man, a new job at 41 years old is actually a little scary to me, but I'm pretty sure I can cope.

I'll look for you guys around and pop in with ya.

Btw, I'd be remiss to not say I'm sorry to see this happening...however, Flitter states it quite the way it is....there's no point to pay for something that's not used.

No need for drama, no need for finger pointing...it's just another chapter coming to an end. Other chapters are waiting to be written....who will help write them and who will be around to play a part in them just remains to be seen.

~toodles~

I think is as close as we are going to get to having the Fat Lady sing... :shrug03:

And that is kind of the quandry we are in. This ain't like CS or CSS where if most of our membership gets tired of the game but there are still a few who want a GC server, it's ok as there are still a bajillion people out there playing the game who can join the server and possibly join GC.

I don't think we have that overall population left with UT2K4. If we could get a regular population of 12+ people 3 to 4 nights a week, that would be more than enough to justify keeping it around. Are there that many people around to pull that off? Not sure. Outside of Omnipotents, it's pretty lean out there.

We'll let it cook for a week or two and see what shakes out - of course - that means our people have to actually join it while it is empty to try and generate traffic - complaining that it is dead and going somewhere else sort of defeats the purpose...

-Fk

Wentz, bush, etc, we need you! :P

Crossfire tonight. Man I still love that map.

In 9 maps I've jumped to 129th... almost no one is playing anymore (no one with any skillz).

Ooops you posted up after I satrted playing TF2. And Carcass Factory just plays horrible for me. Come to think of it most UT2004 servers just don't play well anymore. It's like they all went to the bottom of the server barrel or something.

Also if someone would use Vent I would know when to join up and play. If it wasn't for Lex I would be the only one on the thing at night. I try gamecomm but it's always empty too. Why no one use vent anymore?

LOL Bush, I did that with a ping of 92 basically. Cant hit combos for the life of me though :( and I dont have vent installed atm.

Yeah flitter, I was surprised we even opened a server. And now MP disappears. Dingy and Cannon were in with me though on CF I think it was. I am busy tomorrow night afaik, but maybe another night this week, who knows.

I have been trying to test out some of the servers that are left out there. One is: (www.theutpub.com Vet ons server) This one runs pretty smooth for me and most always have peeps in it. If GC server is running then when I get on i'll go there just to see if I can get peeps to play. It does seem that once a good server has a few people in it, it does start to fill up.

There are people still playing and I think that more and more are turning back to 2k4 to see if anyone wants to play.

More drama Pat, pls.

:unsure:

That was lame.

Maybe we should all just stfu about our feelings and disappointments.

Our bad.

I am appreciative of those who are voicing their opinions about our server and their sorrow[sic] regarding its loss...just as I appreciate the effort that H, flitter, and others put in to keep the UT side of things going.

I will say, that for some of us (probably the newer members) it is truly a disappointment to see something you just recently found a niche in, dying this type of death.

I played UT2k4 since it game out, but only in the past year found my place as a true member of this community...AND I learned a ton about gaming via our almost nightly bouts in UT2k4.

That is why this is a bitter pill to swallow...and I think MP feels much the same way.

Except...

1 - Flitter put up a server for us again

2 - Me, Dingy and Cannon (at the very minimum) played the last few nights, no one else from GC was there

3 - MP has disappeared (or isn't posting at least, as well as not play in the 2 hours I played last night)

Yeah, I was sad when I came back from the summer and found out that the team basically died. If I remember from talking to peeps, the team was dead before I joined anyway, and the influx of new players (me, MP, you, etc) sorta brought new life to it. Yeah, I'm sad the fun times are over, but like Fatty said - Dark is amazing... no wait, that wasn't it...

...it's just another chapter coming to an end. Other chapters are waiting to be written....who will help write them and who will be around to play a part in them just remains to be seen.
Yeah that was it.

Stick around - there's still tonnes of fun to be had! Even if it's once a week on demo servers for starts, until we find a new fun game. You gotta work through CoD4 anyway, right Tek? :D :D See you online in 2 months! :P jk!!!