LCD Television

Demoner

I've been looking at getting an LCD television, after I start my internship. Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone knew much about performance while either from experience or research that you may of done and how it compares to a LCD monitor?

I've been looking at getting an LCD television, after I start my internship. Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone knew much about performance while either from experience or research that you may of done and how it compares to a LCD monitor?

I assume you mean for use as a monitor? If so..I read that they arent nearly as good, there was a really good write up and comparison done in Maximum PC not long ago..if thats what you are trying to do, I can find the mag and get you the specifics. As far as personal experience, I have never used an LCD TV as a monitor.

I use my monitor as my tv all the time though

Yes Yes, if your looking for a TV just get the largest monitor you can buy and do it that way. Price should be about the same and you'll get a much better experience from it. If your looking for a TV for the front room then I would go with something like Sharp or Panasonic. The picture quality in those are better than most. They tend to be about $100 more than others depending on size but they are worth it.

Sony's are very good quality also but now your talking about 2 or 3 hundred more than others. There is a difference in quality, so if your looking for the actual TV route do the research then hit the stores to compare quality. Once you see the difference for yourself then go find the best price.

If your looking for the monitor way, I would find out what the biggest size that Hanns-G makes and get one of those. I have a 19'' Hanns-G and the picture quality on this thing is fantastic. Mine is running 5ms and I love it.

Just a thought, hope it helps

If it's purely for gaming then stick with a PC monitor as you can easily get a 24" 1920x1200 panel for less than you would pay for a 32" 1360x768.

If you want big screen, you're looking at 50"+ (42" is a complete waste size if you ask me, unless your room absolutely isn't large enough, don't fool yourself into thinking you can settle for a slightly smaller screen, there's nothing worse than looking back from 6 months and wishing you had gone 10" larger)

Sharp, Samsung or Sony are the only top dogs in the LCD market. Panasonic and Pioneer if you're looking for a plasma (I would avoid plasma if you're gaming and are on a budget)

Now if you're looking for something like a 42" on your desk as your PC monitor, I see what you're saying. They put off a lot of heat, so realistically you can't actually sit that close (but you can try). I'd say a good minimum distance is 2-3 feet. Make sure to get 1920x1080 resolution because as many of the lower resolution panels are being phased out and will be dirt cheap in a year or so.

(edited)

I assume you mean for use as a monitor? If so..I read that they arent nearly as good, there was a really good write up and comparison done in Maximum PC not long ago..if thats what you are trying to do, I can find the mag and get you the specifics. As far as personal experience, I have never used an LCD TV as a monitor.

thats exactly what i was looking at doing. i was just curious on how one performs in comparison to the standard LCD monitor.

To Undies

where you interning?

I'm interning in madison for an energy/power company, Alliant Energy. They cover part of wisconsin, minnesota, and iowa. I'm really looking forward to it too. I start on the 4th and I will be working in their standards engineering department.

Edited by Demoner

As reported by Maximum PC in the holiday 07 issue,

"the native resolution is far below a monitor with a 32" TV coming in at 1366 x 768. "

" And during gameplay there was alot of banding and contouring throughout the graphically rich content, which is most likely due to that screen's inferior grayscale performance"

"A 32-inch LCD TV might be somewhat cheaper and serve a wider range of uses, but it really can't compare to a 30-inch LCD monitor if what you're after is a desktop display. Screen real-estate alone makes the latter a better fit for PC power users - as does superior screen performance with demanding content."

Granted, that is comparing a 30" monitor to a 32" TV....but the same limitations seem to apply in all sizes.

And from what I have seen personally in stores that have LCD TV's set up with PC's...the desktop text looks crappy and hard to read, but I havent seen any actual gaming first hand.

Hope this helps :peace:

it really depends on the gaming you intend on doing. if you're gonna try and play cs or ut then forget it. for a racing sim or sports game a tv would be awesome.

i plan on getting a 32, 37 or 42" tv to go along with my new:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/p...31&cl=us,en

and my soon to have:

http://store.videogamecentral.com/playseat...utionblack.html

tv size is dependent on price and quality. i don't really need above 720p but if i can get it from a decent brand then i will.

Dude, that wheel looks awesome! Is that thing wrapped in leather/vinyl as it seems from the pic? I like the clutch pedal too...nice touch...although I like a shifter handle rather than paddles...but hey, I could adapt :)

That chair....they did a review of that on G4 the other day...they said it was a piece of crap, they had it all hooked up and the arm that goes up to the platform was pretty wobbly...and the wheel would need some engineering to get it fastened to the platform, which would be easy...but the sturdiness or lack there of bothered me...cuz I actually thought about one of those too :)

it really depends on the gaming you intend on doing. if you're gonna try and play cs or ut then forget it. for a racing sim or sports game a tv would be awesome.

i plan on getting a 32, 37 or 42" tv to go along with my new:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/p...31&cl=us,en

and my soon to have:

http://store.videogamecentral.com/playseat...utionblack.html

tv size is dependent on price and quality. i don't really need above 720p but if i can get it from a decent brand then i will.

Yeah cuj...don't get that chair...build your own! It's much cheaper, you can customize it perfectly and you can actually get a real racing chair (or a car chair)

Best thing to do is call around the junk yards in tdot and find one that deals in luxury wrecks, you should be able to find an old BMW driver or passenger seat in working condition for around $100...hook it up to power and bolt it to a wooden base and you've got a powered seat!

ya it's leather wrapped. feels really nice. the force feedback is rediculous. oh and it does have paddles.

hmm, about the chair. i've read a lot about it recently and i've seen mostly good things. it guess it's all perspective. i've got no real experience building my own stuff like that but maybe i'll ask a friend who's got the skills to help me out.

ya it's leather wrapped. feels really nice. the force feedback is rediculous. oh and it does have paddles.

hmm, about the chair. i've read a lot about it recently and i've seen mostly good things. it guess it's all perspective. i've got no real experience building my own stuff like that but maybe i'll ask a friend who's got the skills to help me out.

Or at the worst..you could probably drill a few holes and add some extra bolts and stuff to make it stronger...i mean...it can be done, but for me, I could build my own...so paying a bunch of money for something that is structurally weak...doesnt do it for me.

Back to the wheel....I might have to ebay my old Logitech wheel and get the new one :D

I played CS:S on my 52" Sharp Aquos with no trouble at all. Everything looked crisp, nothing was warped, no ghosting, the video card required some minor manual adjustment so as to get the 16:9 rather than 16:10 ratio correct, but it did and everything was sweet.

That being said, unless you want to buy something that's PRIMARILY a TV and a monitor as a bonus, buy yourself a monitor and save yourself some cash. Let me tell ya', a good 24" monitor seems HUGE when you're sitting only 2 feet from it. I couldn't sit that close the my AQUOS and play games--no way. I have to be at least 4' away...minimum, and even then I have to turn my head, not my mouse, to look at all the screen area.