Buying a Laptop

anonymo

Woot...My order has been shipped (from China) as of Friday and landed in Canada Monday...here's hoping I get the call today or tomorrow...I'm so excited!

What should I do to it first? Load Ubuntu? Install CS? Take it apart? Take it to the Apple store and repeatedly ask them to help me with my Apple Thinkpad?

ThinkPads have always been high quality laptops, and you certainly paid for that quality. When Lenova bought IBM's laptop division, I was certain I'd see the quality decrease but from everything I've seen, they're still top notch.

Interestingly enough, my new job handed me a Lenovo T61p the day I walked in with Vista Ultimate on it.

The thing is pretty powerful, and once Vista is up and running it works pretty good...however it literally takes about 3 minutes to go from powered off to using an application within Vista.

Vista is just SUCH a resource hog it's disgusting.

Oh, and OS X is still 10 times better than Vista. I use them both daily and love OS X.

All in all though, I'd say you purchased an excellent laptop...just don't put Vista on it.

I have Vista Business on my laptop and while it runs fine after it gets booted up and logged in fully, that can take awhile. Boot up is fast but after I log in, it can be several minutes until I can actually do something with it.

Interestingly enough, my new job handed me a Lenovo T61p the day I walked in with Vista Ultimate on it.

The thing is pretty powerful, and once Vista is up and running it works pretty good...however it literally takes about 3 minutes to go from powered off to using an application within Vista.

Vista is just SUCH a resource hog it's disgusting.

Oh, and OS X is still 10 times better than Vista. I use them both daily and love OS X.

All in all though, I'd say you purchased an excellent laptop...just don't put Vista on it.

What I'm expecting.

Then again, I have my Banquet manager's brand new Sony VIAO in my office (installing Norton...sigh) with Vista Home, and honestly it boots to be able to run apps in less than 30seconds (i've had to restart about 5 times because someone hid an unusually named version of Norton* on here)...with a whole bunch of Rogers* (local cable supplier) apps loaded...something must be wrong, as I am not believing it myself...its running a T5450 Centrino too...

I just haven't bothered to disable the superfluous eye candy yet. While I'm mainly a SysAdmin (i.e., no user-support to speak of), I often have to do techsupport for other members of my department so I thought it was best to leave it at default so that I could better learn it to help others.

I have had Vista Business on this laptop for just over a year now (ordered the laptop 2 days after Vista was released, not intentionally).

It honestly doesn't take much longer to get booted up than a comparable XP computer. Once everything is up and running though, it runs plenty fast. Everyone that keeps bashing Vista saying it's slow and such a resource hog just doesn't have the hardware to back it up. It's probably MS's fault for claiming some hardware configurations will "run" Vista and those people going with the bare minimum specs, but if you have a halfway decent dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram, then you should be in very good shape.

The "eye candy" doesn't seem to affect my performance much at all, so I just leave it on. My laptop has a 7900gs dedicated graphics card though, so this might be the reason that Aero doesn't make this thing break a sweat. If I actually had a 7200RPM hard drive in this instead of the 5400RPM one, then I could be getting even faster response.

There are waaaay too many people that bash Vista without even giving it a fair shake. The first couple of days using it are the worst part, and that's only because you have to deal with the "cancel or allow" stuff. Once everything is setup the way you like it (or you disable that security feature) then you will hardly ever see it again. Most people also claim it as a "resource hog" simply by looking at the amount of cached ram, but they don't realize that it likes to pre-cache your most frequently used programs so that things open a little faster for you when you want them.

[/rant]

Posting from my new laptop. I couldn't be happier! Aesthetically, it's gorgeous. Vista Ultimate out of the box is slow...that is somewhat of an understatement...then again it is using about 60% of my 1 gig of memory :freak3: (will have 4 gigs in here in the coming weeks).

Not sure how anyone could handle the 1920x1200 screen on this bad boy...1680x1050 is small enough even for me...even for graphic design it seems like overkill

Anyways...was getting 160+ fps in CSS with everything at max without having to tweak anything...so that's all good...playing CS with the trackpoint...not so good :biglaugha: