Buying a Laptop

anonymo

Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad T61p

Processor[1] Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

Operating system[12] Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate

Operating system Language Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate - English

Display type 14.1 SXGA+ TFT

System graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 128MB

Total memory[8] 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (1 DIMM)

Keyboard Language US English Keyboard

Pointing device UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)

Hard drive[4] 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

Optical device[5] CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim

System expansion slots PC Card & Express Card Slots

WiFi wireless LAN adapters[10] Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (US/CAN/LA/AP)

Bluetooth Integrated Bluetooth PAN

Battery[60] 6 cell Li-Ion Battery

Power cord 90W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin)

Publication Language English US Publication for Vista

Total comes to $1488

Keep in mind I will ditch the stock ram and add 2 x 2gb sticks

I looked at the MacBooks and nothing seems comes close ...really I looked at every other Notebook manufacturer and I can't find anything that compares...Lenovo has a sale that ends on Monday so I will be buying this by tomorrow...just wanted to get the opinions of my trusted computer advisers (and SJ)

japan bought out the laptop division of ibm (right?)
Yeah, Lenovo bought most of IBM's stock in their Laptop division, with IBM retaining something like 20% stake.The OS is my biggest concern really...I didn't want to get XP Pro and pay more for it than Vista (which seemed to be the case when pricing this guy out). Really I want to dual boot into Gentoo one day...but we'll have to wait and see

Also, funnily enough...along with all the horror stories that I've been reading about Apple's warranty service (really, I see them all the time in my daily Stumbling) I've come across almost equal amounts of horror stories from Lenovo's customer support and warranty service now that IBM isn't in control, but considering I can't find the components for the price that Lenovo offers anywhere else, I don't see much choice

i love thinkpads, atleast when they still had the little red mouse button in the middle of the keyboard, best idea ever
It's blue now

The OS is my biggest concern really...I didn't want to get XP Pro and pay more for it than Vista (which seemed to be the case when pricing this guy out). Really I want to dual boot into Gentoo one day...but we'll have to wait and see
am i the only one that made an iso of xp pro sp2? please dont sue thx!

The OS is my biggest concern really...I didn't want to get XP Pro and pay more for it than Vista (which seemed to be the case when pricing this guy out). Really I want to dual boot into Gentoo one day...but we'll have to wait and see
am i the only one that made an iso of xp pro sp2? please dont sue thx!

Nope...but I'm at the point where if I don't actually pay for windows I'll never be on the plus side of karma ever again...I haven't payed for an OS since Dos 5 (currently using Ubuntu, Mr Gates! I swear!!!)

Also, they won't sell it to me without an OS (and they're only just now talking about shipping with Ubuntu)...or ram for that matter

(edited)

doesn't seem like that good of a deal.

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=351985

i know it's canadian but prices are nearly i dentical.

what it has that yours doesn't:

finger print reader

2gb ram

60gb extra hdd

much better vid card

probably better warranty

it's an asus

looks

webcam

carry bag with mouse

card reader

dvd burner

what yours has that it doesn't:

trackpoint ugly red thing

200mhz extra cpu

higher resolution screen

vista ultimate

keep in mind this is a 30 second search i did where i looked for the first 14 inch laptop i could find on the santa rosa platform. just add xp pro, cook for 30 mins at 350 and serve.

edit - another 30 seconds produced this:

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=351545

it's even white like a mac.

also, keep in mind that asus laptops come with crazy ports like dvi, firewire, ir, and even hdmi on some models.

edit 2 - wow this is getting long.

look we're up to an 8600gt and still cheaper:

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350962

Edited by Cujo

Thanks for all the input!

I guess I should have specified that this laptop will be mainly for running my DJ'ing programs and some production software. I'll also be using it in less than ideal locations so how sturdy and reliable it is are very important. I also really want an internal 7200 RPM drive, size isn't important because I have an external 500gb already How hard is it to replace the HDD and do you think it would cost less than 80 (which is the what the upgrade to the 7200 cost)

The Quadro FX 570M (according to Nvidia) has VGI, DVI and HDMI (although it seems Lenovo uses only a VGA, has SM 4.0, DX10 and will be running a 1400x1050 display... this really isn't a gaming laptop (although I will definitely use it as such on occasion :halo: )...I would rather sacrifice performance for reliability

after some searching I found a forum comparing the 8600M GT to the 570M and it seems they're pretty much the same card (i understand that the 14" T61p has a nerfed 570M with only 128mb of DDR3 mem)

so it seems like for what I want the Thinkpad is my best choice

Any thoughts on Turbo Memory? I can get it with 1gb but I've heard mixed reviews

and cujo, I prefer canadian prices

looking around infonec I found this

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 1.8GHz 800MHz 4M L2 cache

?? is there a lower clocked version or is that a typo? http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=349236

Here is the 15" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) with the 570M 256mb...worth the $200+? (after removing the 100gb 7200 HD from the 14")

Processor[1] Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20GHz 800MHz 4MBL2)

Operating system[12] Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate

Operating system Language Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate - English

Display type 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT

System graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M 256MB

Total memory[8] 1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (1 DIMM)

Keyboard Language US English Keyboard

Pointing device UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)

Hard drive[4] 80GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm

Optical device[5] CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Ultrabay Slim

WiFi wireless LAN adapters[10] Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (US/CAN/LA/AP)

Wireless USB Adapter None

Wireless WAN accessories[65] None

Battery[60] 6 cell Li-Ion Battery

Power cord 90W AC Adapter; NA, LA, (2pin)

Publication Language English US Publication for Vista

Now looking at the Asus too...not enthralled with the build quality compared to a thinkpad but they're def cheaper and shiny

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=351544

http://infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=350628

Still the Thinkpad comes with Vista Ult...

Ok, after much deliberation and doing lots of looking at Asus and HP's offerings (my uncle actually works for HP, he can get me a deal but tells me himself that the company is so rocky these days that I would be better off with something else...more than likely he just doesn't want to deal with it, I don't blame him)

Anyways...Lenovo offers me what Asus can not, which is customization and rock solid reliability. I should point out that we use Thinkpads exclusively at my company so I work with them (along with just about every laptop imaginable) on a daily basis. The Asus is much cheaper but has features I don't want at all (webcam, fingerprint reader) and you can not get Vista Ultimate in any of their bundles, which is a pain.

I went with the 15" T61p WS over the 14" because for the price (about $150 more) I got 200 more lines of pixels but double the GPU Ram (Quadro 570M 256mb which is just the workstation version of the 8600M GT 256mb and since I will be doing some light CAD with it on occasion it seems worth it)

Now I just hope and prey I don't get screwed by Lenovo's supposedly horrible service problems at the moment.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

If it makes you feel any better, we just ordered the much beastier version of your laptop from Lenovo, and it got to us in THREE DAYS because we told them we were worried about the turn-around time. That's pretty freakin' good.

That being said, the build quality on the ASUS laptops are pretty impressive, especially if you get the G series lappys. The Thinkpads are still built like tanks though, and they perform well. Oh, it was China, not Japan that bought out stock. Our laptop came from Hong Kong. At least, if Lenovo is Japanese, ALL their manufacturing is done in China.

If it makes you feel any better, we just ordered the much beastier version of your laptop from Lenovo, and it got to us in THREE DAYS because we told them we were worried about the turn-around time. That's pretty freakin' good.

That being said, the build quality on the ASUS laptops are pretty impressive, especially if you get the G series lappys. The Thinkpads are still built like tanks though, and they perform well. Oh, it was China, not Japan that bought out stock. Our laptop came from Hong Kong. At least, if Lenovo is Japanese, ALL their manufacturing is done in China.

I'm excited to hear that you got it so quickly...much of the problems I've been reading about effect Canadian customers only unfortunately as we have only in recent months have been able to customize a laptop via their website (something available to US customers for quite some time). You are still able to make more customizations (they don't offer the T9XX series CPU to us...or the T7800 for that matter, not like I would pay for it).

The much beastier one being the 1920x1200 resolution screen? Thats the only thing you could really improve other than the CPU and I figured that a 570M would have its hands full with a 1680x1050 let alone 1920x1200. or are you talking about an X series? (which are just thin versions of the T series)

I looked at the Asus G series primarily and they are basically the same price range as the T61p (if you swap the 160gb hd on the Asus with Vista Ult on the T61p along with some other exchanges) but the ThinkPad is much more rugged if you compare them side by side...the Asus scratches are more noticeable etc. It was a really tough choice between the two, and in the end most stores around me are completely out of stock on the Asus G1S-A1/A2/A4 (pretty much the T61p's direct competitor)

Lenovo=Japanese

Lenovo Manufacturing (like just about everyone's manu)=Chinese

I also want to point out for anyone using this to decide on a lappy...DO NOT BUY THE LENOVO 3000 SERIES OR ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE THINKPADS. A few people from my work have bought the 3000 series thinking they were a new form of a ThinkPad (we can get deals on the 3000, not the TPs it turns out), even claiming that the 3000 is the new Thinkpad...be careful.

It's a T61p I think, but it's the 15.4" widescreen with the 1920x1200 resolution and every single bell and whistle that they offer. All said and done, it cost my business $3,300....hahaha...it's completely maxed out though, and we also bought the 5 year on-site warranty coverage. (or was it 3 with Lenovo, I don't remember)

Anyway, The G-Series is less rugged cosmetically, I agree (showing scratches, etc), but I feel that the frame is probably about on par (in other words your internals are protected as well).

I still really like the think-pads, but yeah, I wouldn't touch any of their other products with a stick. The ThinkPad design is still based on IBM designs, and thus, it's good.

It's a T61p I think, but it's the 15.4" widescreen with the 1920x1200 resolution and every single bell and whistle that they offer. All said and done, it cost my business $3,300....hahaha...it's completely maxed out though, and we also bought the 5 year on-site warranty coverage. (or was it 3 with Lenovo, I don't remember)

Anyway, The G-Series is less rugged cosmetically, I agree (showing scratches, etc), but I feel that the frame is probably about on par (in other words your internals are protected as well).

I still really like the think-pads, but yeah, I wouldn't touch any of their other products with a stick. The ThinkPad design is still based on IBM designs, and thus, it's good.

Jeez...that warranty was like $500!

The 1920x1200 screen is nice but I have a 24" at home and it's more real estate I can deal with outside of gaming so I figured I'd save money and GPU efforts :biglaugha:

Boy I just priced it out with all the bells and whistles

System Processor[1] Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)

Operating System[12] Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate

Operating System Language Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate US English

Display Panel 15.4 WUXGA TFT

System graphics NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256MB Open GL)

Total memory[8] 4 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

Keyboards Keyboard US English

Pointing Device UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader

Hard Drive[4] 200GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm with Disk Encryption

Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache Intel Turbo Memory 1GB

Optical device[5] DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim

System expansion slots PC Card Slot & Smart Card Slot

Card Reader 4 in 1 Media Card Reader

Wireless cards[10] Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)

Wireless Personal Area Network UltraWide Band (UWB)

Battery[60] 9 cell Li-Ion Battery

Power cord Country Pack North America

Security Gemplus GemPC400 Compact Smart Card Reader

Language Pack Language Pack US English

Microsoft productivity application preload Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - English

Additional Microsoft productivity application preload Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Eng excluding EU-EFTA

$ 3,835.00 :=

I just clicked the most expensive options so there's probably stuff on the that no one would ever use...

this forum needs more laptop topics.

bub also requested we start a mac vs. pc build thread re: video editing

Can you build a Mac on your own? Also, why I have you here (don't tell anyone) can I run the spotted cat on my new Intel based lappy when it arrives?

Can you build a Mac on your own? Also, why I have you here (don't tell anyone) can I run the spotted cat on my new Intel based lappy when it arrives?

does this mean that you're now "mac-curious"? :D

btw, the thought of having 1920x1200 resolution on a 15.4" screen makes my eyes bleed. I have that resolution on my 17" laptop, which I love, but everything is small enough already. I couldn't imagine it on an even smaller screen!

does this mean that you're now "mac-curious"? :D

btw, the thought of having 1920x1200 resolution on a 15.4" screen makes my eyes bleed. I have that resolution on my 17" laptop, which I love, but everything is small enough already. I couldn't imagine it on an even smaller screen!

We'll be calling Mav Mr.Squinty by the time FF08 rolls around!

Hahaha...the thinkpad isn't my laptop, it's our Mechanical Engineer's....we needed the real estate for Solid Edge (3D modeling program) and we needed the maxed out PC for the same reason. It outperforms the comparable Dell, and is around $1,000 cheaper. Hahaha...

The Warranty is because that thing will see a lot of machine shops in its time, and we need to make sure it survives the trips.