The future of mobil gaming

anonymo

Today we saw some big announcements made official!

First was Apple's trademark extension into the handheld/console gaming market

and then

Nvidia announces the APX 2500 CPU/GPU for Windows mobile devices along with Microsoft's purchase of Danger Inc. (designers of the Sidekick).

Soooooo...pretty hard to miss what's happening here...but I have to say, if Apple is planning a handheld, they are slow out of the gate already...

If it's a console...well...boy...that would be fun...hope SJ brings his to an FF in the far future!

well Nintendo cleaned house with the DS. The DS doesn't have the graphics capability of a PSP but it whomped it in sales. AND it already has the touch screen.

Apple would have a hard time catching up with the established companies. You can build a machine but someone has to make the programs for it. Sony and Nintendo are well established in that area.

Apple has always had the 'anti gaming' image to me. They would have to overcome that as well.

I agree with Apples anti-gaming image. They have pushed away, or at least haven't pulled in, any developers to bring some good games to the Mac. The best they have right now that they can make a game with is probably id.

They would have to get a developer to develop games for a system they have never used, from a company that has never made a gaming system, and a company that has the anti-gamer image. Then even harder they have to get people to buy it in a world where DSes and PSPs run rampant. Also, knowing Apple they will try turning it into some mobile game, phone, TV, movie, mp3, GPS junk, throwing in a lot of stuff no one wants. Just like Sony did and is still doing with the PSP.

well Nintendo cleaned house with the DS. The DS doesn't have the graphics capability of a PSP but it whomped it in sales. AND it already has the touch screen.

Apple would have a hard time catching up with the established companies. You can build a machine but someone has to make the programs for it. Sony and Nintendo are well established in that area.

Apple has always had the 'anti gaming' image to me. They would have to overcome that as well.

It's true that Nintendo has always dominated the handheld market. Neither Sega (Game Gear) nor Sony (PSP) could even come close to the amount of sales that Nintendo's handhelds pull. If I remember correctly, the 2 best selling systems of all time (when including both handheld and standard TV-systems) are the Game Boy Advance and the Nintendo DS.

As of September 26, 2007, the Nintendo DS has sold over 50 million units and is the fastest-selling handheld game console of all time
During the week of November 18 to November 24, Nintendo of America set a new Nintendo sales record by selling over 653,000 DS units in one week, breaking the previous record held by the Game Boy Advance, which sold 600,000 units.

In other words, all I can say to Apple is: Good luck, you're going to need it!

Edited by YoMamma