HD Wars Over

anonymo

(imo Japanese business practices lack much of the morals and ethics of those we share in NA)

:freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3:

Must . . . not . . . start . . . FLAME WAR!!!!! :P

:biglaugha: I'm not saying that MS has morals or ethics...but in the big picture, it's just a aspect of Japanese culture...it's a very dominating country, they are not opposed to squashing their neighbour just to make a quick buck (wow, could that fit into context any better?)

Ok...wait...I just remembered that Apple is a North American company...I retract my previous statements

:biglaugha: I'm not saying that MS has morals or ethics...but in the big picture, it's just a aspect of Japanese culture...it's a very dominating country, they are not opposed to squashing their neighbour just to make a quick buck (wow, could that fit into context any better?)

Ok...wait...I just remembered that Apple is a North American company...I retract my previous statements

so a good business is one that doesn't try to dominate market share...like MS...with a x% of desktop market share?

i'd take your chance with another kidney stone and have some coffee :smillie_smilling:

so a good business is one that doesn't try to dominate market share...like MS...with a x% of desktop market share?

i'd take your chance with another kidney stone and have some coffee :smillie_smilling:

Couldn't let me get away with it could you? :blink:

The top 10 things to do with your "now-defunct" HD DVD player.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/top-ten...-hd-dvd-player/

maximize_betamax.gif

I especially like number 4

Buy the Blu-ray player of your choice, put it in the box, attempt to return it as "defective."

I think they would tell it's not a PS3...lol

Edit: Well...that didn't work...isn't the forum supposed to just merge my two posts together? mookie! what'd you do?

Am I the only person that LIKES having discs? I personally am not too big on the digital distribution idea just yet.

Considering how cheap and small flash drives are now, why couldn't we move to a flash based media? Oh right, because Sony tells us that high definition requires at least 50gb of storage...thanks Sony! What's this? An audio stream only a Hollywood studio quality audio system can take advantage of? Hell yes I want to pay more, wait longer and pollute more for it!!! HOW DID YOU KNOW!? ...ok I'm done for now

Am I the only person that LIKES having discs? I personally am not too big on the digital distribution idea just yet.

Considering how cheap and small flash drives are now, why couldn't we move to a flash based media? Oh right, because Sony tells us that high definition requires at least 50gb of storage...thanks Sony! What's this? An audio stream only a Hollywood studio quality audio system can take advantage of? Hell yes I want to pay more, wait longer and pollute more for it!!! HOW DID YOU KNOW!? ...ok I'm done for now

I guess my point was, I still want something PHYSICAL for my movies, because the thought of waiting 2 hours to download a movie that will take up loads of hard drive space, eventually causing me to change out the hard drive or start deleting stuff, isn't very appealing to me.

Now, if they wanted to start selling movies in some other format (similar to flash drives) then that's something else entirely. I guess I just don't want to give up physical media at this point because there are negative issues that turn me off right now.

I don't want to be rid of physical media--I like having a library I can stand in front of and look through to decide what I want to watch--I enjoy having a collection

That being said, if they can give it to me on a square chip roughly the size of a quarter for a good price, I'll take it. :)

I don't mind optical media, but man this whole format war has been one big chance to screw the consumer since its inception. I'm just afraid of what Sony's going to do now that it's won. They retain so much in the way of media rights for BluRay it's not even funny--so they could feasably charge whatever they want once HD-DVD is gone.

That being said, I don't understand why every website out there is telling me to sell my HD-DVD player. Why? It still plays the HD-DVD's I already own (which isn't a whole lot), and it is a VERY good up-convert player (beat the crap out of any you can get for less than $100 anyway). So, when I get myself a BluRay player (waaay) down the line (if I get one), I can simply move my HD-DVD player to an alternate TV, and I'm golden. I'm really not upset except for the fact that there's now going to be an effective monopoly over the IP in optical digital media.

I guess I just miss the whole thing cause everything I've ever bought from Sony has been a good, reliable product that lasted a long time. Especially earbuds.

There are other companies out there I've bought from that gave me products that didn't work from day one and they don't do anything to reimburse me. Like Command and Conquer 3 for example. The game does not run on my machine. It runs SupCom, TF2 and Hellgate, but I have yet (even today) been able to play my C&C3 copy that I bought at launch.

My PS1 never broke (until I took a hammer to it in a fit of rage), my PS2 died once after five years and my PS3 works perfectly one year later. Their brand has always been expensive, but I felt worth the price. Maybe I am a fanboy. I wasn't offended by the $700 price tag. It was a BR player! I also got it for discount ($550[fanboyism]{the price of a certain other rip-off console}[/fanboyism]) at Walmart, which is what I paid for my PS2, so . . .

Besides, we all know that sooner or later the world will have to bow to Sony when a certain game that starts with Metal and ends with Solid blows every other game ever made out of the water. :)

As someone who purchased a $100 HD DVD player, I am totally fine with this.

For one thing, my player only cost $100 (and came with 5 free movies). For another, this just means that all those HD DVDs are going to plummet in price and my collection will grow. It's not as if my player will stop playing HD DVD's (and regular DVD's) like the long forgotten DIVX players.

true that means we can get some of the dvds etc. that are out now for super super cheap..

good upside