HD Wars Over

anonymo

:bang: :bang: <-- linky

Well, Sony has finally won a format war. For those keeping track, this is the fourth major format war Sony has taken part of (Beta vs VHS, MiniDisc vs CDs, MMCDs vs DVDs) in the last few decades.

Expect to see fire sales on all HD DVD media and hardware in the next 6 months, so if you bought into that format you should be able to find some deals (or get rid of it NAO! to avoid basically having to give it away).

I have to respect Toshiba for throwing in the towel so early and lessening the strain on consumers (something you will never see from Sony, especially considering how not better and more expensive to manufacture that BluRay is over HD-DVD... :( )

So now we are at the mercy of the Godzilla, they get to have their way for once and considering how they handle most of their international business relations (especially with North America) be prepared for a very egotistical Sony for the next decade...oh man this is going to suck. At least I can finally start upgrading to HD disc media (then again BR is going to obsolete by the end of the year if all these new layering techniques get perfected).

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I am now getting that PS3 from NOFX. I avoided the HD DVD addon for the 360 when I still had it because going one way or the other could be the wrong way. The Blue-Ray players cost too much and were inferior to the HD DVD players at the time. Now those who bought the first gen blue-ray players are screwed because they are not network capable so they cannot be firmware updated to the new 2.0 spec. I feel bad for those who bought HD DVD players but if you did, keep them. They will be nerdy cool like betamax players are now.

As someone who purchased a $100 HD DVD player, I am totally fine with this.

For one thing, my player only cost $100 (and came with 5 free movies). For another, this just means that all those HD DVDs are going to plummet in price and my collection will grow. It's not as if my player will stop playing HD DVD's (and regular DVD's) like the long forgotten DIVX players.

Funny that you mention divx player. I picked up a DVD player from woot.com a couple of weeks ago that had a usb port on the front. This thing plays divx, xvid, wmv, and some other formats all from a usb drive. It is a nice low cost player that upscales to 1080p although none of my tv's support it.

i can't help but grin at the irony.

i like sony as a company, so this is a total win. this will be great for consumers!

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I am now getting that PS3

your friends @ the consumerist would be embarassed ;p

No, they would be proud of me. I did all the right things to this point to resolve the issue. I even traded in a used unit for a brand new one without cost to me. I also traded an unnecessary video card for a smaller one and got the PS3 for 200 bucks if you want to add it all up. It still cost me less than an iPhone.

i can't help but grin at the irony.

i like sony as a company, so this is a total win. this will be great for consumers!

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I am now getting that PS3

your friends @ the consumerist would be embarassed ;p

No, they would be proud of me. I did all the right things to this point to resolve the issue. I even traded in a used unit for a brand new one without cost to me. I also traded an unnecessary video card for a smaller one and got the PS3 for 200 bucks if you want to add it all up. It still cost me less than an iPhone.

CAT FIGHT!!!

Toshiba today denied saying that they are giving up on HD-DVD.

"The media reported that Toshiba will discontinue its HD-DVD business. Toshiba has not made any announcement concerning this. Although Toshiba is currently assessing its business strategies, no decision has been made at this moment,"

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92890

Oh, the article I originally linked clearly states that no official announcement has yet been made...basically the Eurogamer article and the DT article are the same, both point to today's announcement...it was pretty easy to speculate on this one, which is why I posted it so early

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92955

Meh, I got in on the 5 free HD-DVD deal too so my HD-DVD player cost me less than a decent up-convert player would have. I'm going to go nuts looking for chea HD-DVD's in the next month or so and get a good HD collection going. Who cares if they quit making 'em, I'll still have a decent collection.

That being said, the devil now controls the horns.

Oh, and why does everyone think this is a loss for Microsoft? I see a lot of anti-MS people saying that....they only made an accessory, then dropped most of their support to do their new online HD-content downloads. Keep up with current events people. You can't be an effective fan-boy otherwise! :)

Sony...I can only hope that with Sony actually WINNING for once, they go back to the 1990's Sony. You know, before the rootkits, and back when they made the best TV's, Home Theater items, Stereos, Walkmans/Disman's, etc. Somehow I doubt it will happen, but hey, I can hope, right? :shrug03:

IT IS OFFICIAL: Toshiba has announced the end of its HD-DVD format.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_c...79&Itemid=2

Three hours late... =P

Mav...the same people who are saying this is trouble for MS are those who actually believed that BluRay was in any way shape or form better than HD-DVDs.

It's a real shame that a company like Sony can lie left right and center in just about all their publications dealing with BR and win the format war against a company like Toshiba who as far as I can tell, never once made any kind of outlandish comment to bolster the public opinion of HD-DVDs. I wish they had, but alas, they (Toshiba) are a relatively honest Japanese company, which is an oxymoron in itself (imo Japanese business practices lack much of the morals and ethics of those we share in NA)

I really think that if Sony was a US based company they would never get away will all the misconceptions and slander they publicized during this "war"

Oh well...let's just hope that Sony gets blindsided later this year by the new DVD layering techniques that are supposed to yield over 100gb on a normal DVD...or better yet...new on demand services that render optical media obsolete in the film industry

Yeah, Mo...I remember walking through the store and seeing the BluRay displays claiming how much better they were than HD-DVD, but hey, I guess lying worked?

People are sheep, easily led. Hey, they're advertising it in a store, it must be true, right? Hahaha...funny stuff. I remember my brother calling me and telling me how it turns out that BluRay is a much better technology and all that jazz. Boy was he surprised when I told him about how much data labs were getting onto HD-DVDs, and the fact that the video quality is EXACTLY THE SAME as well as the audio quality.

What happened to false advertisement laws? :shrug03: