I have but one complaint

[LaW]Maverick

Ok...remember back in the day when people would never try to complete an objective in CS? I mean, if the bomb were planted, they'd just pick a corner and hide in it, hoping to get a few kills and not die while they lost the round.

Well, we were playing Sabotage last night, and holy crap, that was some cowardly play! I mean, when one team would plant the bomb, MY team would just stay where they were and let it blow up! Heck, my team would NOT leave the spawn area to go get the bomb to at least TRY to win on a few maps. It was usually me and one other guy out front trying to grab the bomb and run--heck, we even planted it a few times, but we couldn't protect it well enough to go out. Out of the 15 games or so I played, 13 of them were 3 to 0 too.

So, what's my complaint you ask? Simple: people are pansies who are afraid to die in a video game, and we need to try to get people to go for the objective when we change the game type.

Other than that, great job mixing things up! :peace:

Yeah, not a lot of coordination yet. I still don't know what the commands are to use in game coordination-like commands, like follow me, etc. So many keys to map for movement, combat, etc. That I don't really have a convenient key to map for voice either. Is there voice in the game even? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything so maybe there isn't.

I'm not sure if I was on your team or not, because the tab screen listing the players is too annoying to use. I hate having to scroll down to see everyone. I agree, it was annoying when I'd take the bomb and noone would go with. Or someone would take the bomb and it was just me and him trying to get it down.

I tried playing s&d the other day (on a diff server) and same thing. Ppl just camp.

Are there any commands? There is an invoice game command, I think default button is 'k'?? We really need to start using it more. or at least some commands, I know if I had to run around and coordinate with, we could dominate.

z is the default in game voice command. I think the consensus is that a lot of the players who pub in CoD4 are even less used to completing objectives then in CS. I should be on more often then I am, but I will say this once again... if you play CoD4 play on our server only... try to get your friends who play to come on... and if you see someone who has come back a few times tell him about the forums and see if you can get him to stay.

Most of you are probably doing this but I felt like I should put that out again... I know that I haven't been doing my part on this but I think it's important to note that CoD is very different from CSS, and we will have to develop different plans for keeping teamplay and friendly activity up.

I agree with Mav completely. I was playing with him last night. We were playing Overgrown and no one on our team went for the bomb, when we did get the bomb it was either Mav, Indifel/Logitech or myself that had it, we would stick together to get the bomb to the site while the rest of our team was off playing TDM somewhere. I don't think we were able to plant it once. On Crash and Pipeline the team I was on won 3-0 and I was the only one who planted the bomb each of those six times. It gets pretty frustrating. People don't seem to realize how much you can dominate if you work as a team. On Strike we were 2-2, our team worked together for the last round and we planted the bomb within a few minutes and won the match. Another frustrating thing is some people just don't know how to get to the bomb site or they try to go through the enemy spawn to get to it when 1/2 the map has no enemies on it. They can easily go around but they insist on going through the enemy.

And there's the end of my ranting.

My mic in vent doesn't work when I'm in COD4. :( It works fine when I'm outside of COD4 (tabbed out, out of game, in another game, etc). So when I join, people leave since I don't talk to them. It's mighty inconvenient to tab out, say something, tab back in and see that I'm dead.

For the teamwork discussion, I see that stuff all the time. Lots of people like to play rambo, and don't think about how much teamwork helps. How many times does someone fly off in a manta without giving rides? What about sitting at the core in a turret trying to get kills rather than attacking a node? Try to rally the troops. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But man, when you can rally the troops and flip a map... that's an awesome feeling.

Yeah, manta is just the best vehicle ever invented (well, v-vehicle) and the turrets are only for noobs and botters. It's definitely UT talk. Ons is pure objective-based, without a respawn cap or delay, so you often die just trying to hold a single objective while your team works on 3 others simultaneously. Love that game! :D

Yep, mantas are UT. I was talking about UT turrets too. But there are mounted machineguns in some maps too... it's about as close as you get to UT turrets.

I guess you guys don't really relate to UT. :/ Don't feel bad though, I don't relate to CS. :)

And dark is right - ONS is purely objective-based, so you can't be a top-tiered player like he is without teamwork. I noticed it a bit last night when he'd always use the buddy system when moving to a bomb site.

I've played UT before (mostly the original and 2003/4) but didn't play a great deal of 3/4. It sounded like UT-speak to me but when I scrolled up to verify what forum I was in (I just go to the "View New Posts" and click on interesting looking threads), I saw that we were in the CoD4 forum so I thought I might have been missing something.

Yeah, Voodoo was one of the few breaths of fresh air last night. :)

Man, if we could have just got the rest of our team to start playing like they had a brain...

I remember on one of the maps, I had like 65 deaths and 68 kills--and it was because I was the main guy on the team actually going for the bomb--planted it several times, but I don't think it ever blew up...

I noticed there were a few people that liked camping the entire time. For me, the best gameplay style was to camp for about 30 seconds at a known traffic area, rack up a few kills, and push forward. Or if no one was going through that area, move forward anyway.

Camping the entire map just seems boring and non-productive. But you know what? People will play the game however they want to have fun. Maybe they couldn't care less about the outcome, as long as they got to snipe the entire time. It stinks for us team-oriented folks, but it would stink for them if we pushed our gamestyle as the only way to behave on the server.

I wish I had a little red wagon for a sniper to camp in, they don't need to move anywhere I can just pull them along. It would be like the mission in the single player where you carry the sniper guy around and he shoots from where ever you leave him. I'd like to plop some snipers down in front of our weapon cache for them to defend it, then when we get the bomb I can run them over to the enemy weapon cache to help us defend the planted bomb.

Maybe something like this:

maybelikethis.jpg

Those are some unhappy snipers!