buy sj's next tv!

stutters

Are you thinking the bigger the better? Or are you wanting high quality? In other words are you looking for 1080i/p or 720i/p? Idk if you know the difference between them. I'm sure someone can explain them better than myself.

(edited)

well, if you want bigger you can get DLP's in the 55" range for the same price as LCD's in the 42"-46" range...

I say bigger is better and I couldn't care less if my screen is only 10" deep. None looks behind my TV anyway :)

Edited by NOFX

Well you can get a non 1080p LCD for about the same price as DLP it seems now. Everyone is switching to 1080p

SJ, You dont need 1080p unless you plan on getting a blu-ray player. Cable providers are about 5 yrs away from 1080p, they dont have the bandwith to show it right now.

But of course Im gonna show you a 1080p LCD :P I just found it looking at best buys site.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1169857637051

It says 1599, add it to the cart and its 1099.

Take a trip to a best buy or some retailer, they are having lots of deals on 720p and 1080i LCDs that are sub $1000

Also take a look at crutchfield.com not for prices, but they have lots of customer reviews and alot more pictures about the TV's

(edited)

the numbers are resolution.. If your just watching standard cable it won't matter. Hook your computer up to it, or get a cable box and you might think differently. At least get a 1080i.

The i means interlaced, p means progressive. The different between 1080i and 1080p is that the p's update every row of pixels on each refresh, while the i's update every other row on a refresh.. By broadcasting in 1080i instead of p, they are effectively cutting the bandwidth in half.

Rabbit ears TV will be broadcast in 1080i next february....

Edited by NOFX

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1130986501280

M2 is right <looks up in the sky for impending catastrophic meteor>, even though I think it's a complete waste to buy a flat screen that isn't 1080p, you will probably get more 720p use out of your TV in the next two years than 1080p use. Plus current TV broadcasts (1080i for everyone except Fox and Disc? and one other? I can't remember... who broadcast at 720p) actually look worse on 1920x1080 panels than they do on 1360x768 (720p) panels

Honestly I would just buy the very least expensive form of TV and hold out for a really good 1080p panel...especially if all you're using it for is the Wii (still 480p max) and DVDs

Rabbit ears TV will be broadcast in 1080i next february....

They already do...next Feb everything just goes digital instead of analog.

Of course, not all networks currently broadcast 1080i OTA...many here in Toronto do

GC Alumni
(edited)

anonymo, are you saying buy a 720p instead of 1080i, and reup to a 1080p in the next couple years? yes, it's only going to be wii and dvd's.

i'm actually intending on this tv to only be the main tv for 2 years, then retire it to one of the other rooms and buy something ridiculous. (srsly)

PS hop on AIM.

Edited by sj

You absolutely don't need 1080p right now and even 1080i is an unneccessary luxury.

Let me just say that not many people (in my personal experience) can see a difference between a 480p DVD (regular dvd) and a 1080i HD DVD on the same tv. I have both setups at my house and quite a few people actually say "I don't see the difference".

I've got an 8 year old 1080i 42" Zenith and it is awesome all around. Go for cheap.

BestBuy is a misnomer. Super overpriced. I'm going to be buying soon too around the same price range as you sj and right now, the one below is my current choice. I've looked at several different brands and Samsung has competitive specs as other brands but their contrast ratio v. price blows them all out of the water. The one linked below is just slightly out of your price range but imo is the "best buy". Also, I found Abe's of Maine from www.techbargains.com (you've heard of techbargains right? if not, check it out). Abe's of Maine has had over 5000 customer reviews on techbargains and they average a 5 star. That gives me great comfort if I choose to deal with them over the tried and true NewEgg.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=SSLNT4065F~item.htm

480i

480p

1080i

720p

1080p

that's confusing - in the same size, a 1080i was more expensive than a 720p at best buy.

That's cuz a 1080i is 1) a bigger resolution and 2) slightly newer technology (i.e., to get to 1080...not the "i" part). Also, you have to look at way more than just the resolution. Response time will adjust the price some. Contrast ratio will adjust the price dramatically. Extra input/outputs, etc adjust the price as well.

480i

480p

1080i

720p

1080p

that's confusing - in the same size, a 1080i was more expensive than a 720p at best buy.

That's cuz a 1080i is 1) a bigger resolution and 2) slightly newer technology (i.e., to get to 1080...not the "i" part). Also, you have to look at way more than just the resolution. Response time will adjust the price some. Contrast ratio will adjust the price dramatically. Extra input/outputs, etc adjust the price as well.

I dont know which came first, but 720p is a better resolution then 1080i.

720p is comparable to 1440i

No it's not. the i and p have nothing to do with with the resolution. It has to do with the refreshing/updating of the screen. As NOFX said before i == interlaced == every other line updated per refresh; p == progressive == every line updated per refresh.

And I thought I'd be bored today...

1080i is not actually 1920x1080 at any single moment. That is due to the way interlacing works, it flashes half the horizontal lines in half a second, then the other half of the second it flashes the other half, so to the naked eye it looks like 1920x1080 lines, but it's really half at any given moment

1080p is all 1080 lines being drawn at the same time, therefore a much cleaner, crisper picture (seriously)

720p TVs are actually a native resolution of 1360x768 (most of the time, you can still find some that are 1280x720, but I highly suspect the manufacturer just put that on there in an attempt to not confuse people and they are actually 1360x768)

Please, people. Do not confuse the way computers display images with the way networks and entertainment companies display images. They are quite different. 1440i does not exist, nor shall it. :nono: All PC graphic cards display in progressive scan. Their resolutions are determined in numbers of pixels (1280x1024 for example).

Televisions are not all progressive scan yet, so some still use interlacing so the requirement for silly things like 1080i and 1080p are still required. (<awesome sentence!)

Crap gotta run...bbl to explain it in more detail...SJ, spend your money wisely...one year ago I spent $1000 on a TV that I can get for $400 today, I highly suggest the old tube TV (yes that was the idea M2) until you get the money for a really nice TV

anonymo, the tv is being purchased for him as payment for a job he's doing. So waiting to purchase later isn't a valid option.

So this whole 720p vs. 1080i thing confuses me. Are you saying that if my tv can display both, I should be displaying it in 720 to get a better looking picture?

GC Alumni

i basically have between $1,000 - $1,200 that i MUST spend on a tv, but that's still the price range of the LG m2 and anonymo are linking.

i'm working the angle on the samsung dweez posted, but i think i'm hitting resistance.

here are my quick thoughts and comments regarding the 720/1080i/p stuff.

You will have a very hard time noticing a difference between 1080p and 720p on screens smaller than 50" (unless you're sitting a foot or two away from your TV). Considering that you aren't hooking an Xbox 360, PS3, or Blu-Ray player up to it, 1080p will be a waste of money. Even then, for the size of screen we're talking, you wouldn't really be able to notice a difference. I have a 50" Sony SXRD "DLP" tv (same concept as DLP, slightly different tech) that is 1080p. I have played with various different sources and resolutions with my Xbox 360 (720p, 1080i, 1080p) and upconverting DVD player (1080i/p), both connected via HDMI. Sitting roughly 10 feet from my screen, I can tell a difference in "sharpness" and clarity between 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. 1080i is a little sharper because of the resolution, but if there's quick action on the screen, the quality of picture is a little bit (slightly) better with 720p due to the interlacing. For TV's that are 720p (or 1080p), it's better to feed it a progressive scan feed since the processor in the TV does not have to de-interlace the signal before it is displayed.

My parents have a 720p TV, and the 720p sources do look slightly better than the 1080i sources. Not everyone can tell the difference though. In general, it's better to not have your TV do signal converting if possible. Some signal converters are great (my Sony is awesome at this), but if you have a 720p TV and can choose between 720p and 1080i source, I would go with 720p.

DOWN HERE SJ

In my opinion, this is a real winner:

40" Samsung 720p LCD TV

regular price: $1500

Sale price: $1000

+ shipping $100

= $1,100 <----- right in your wheelhouse!

Buy this TV. Now. $500 off is not something to be taken lightly.

(edited)
I dont know which came first, but 720p is a better resolution then 1080i.

720p is comparable to 1440i

if you think progressive scan is better than interlaced, you may think that.. If you would like a sharper resolution 1080 is much better.

720p = 1280x720 resolution

1080i = 1920x1080 resolution

like I said before interlaced means every other row of pixels are updated on a refresh and progressive means every row is updated. I would gues that 98% of everyone won't notice a difference bettween 1080i and 1080p..

so if are a motion blur nut and prefer about half as many pixels, then yes 720p is better :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

EDIT* Buying a 720p TV is just like buying a new 24" dell computer monitor that can only do a resolution of 1280x720.....

If you go with 1080i, then the monitor can do 1920x1080.. but can only display interlaced rather than progressive.. which you probably won't be able to notice...

Edited by NOFX