buy sj's next tv!

stutters

GC Alumni
DOWN HERE SJ
roflmao

Buy this TV. Now. $500 off is not something to be taken lightly.
done.

thank you all for your help!

(ps - i can't believe we made this through without a mac vs. pc dig. GG!)

anonymo, the tv is being purchased for him as payment for a job he's doing. So waiting to purchase later isn't a valid option.

So this whole 720p vs. 1080i thing confuses me. Are you saying that if my tv can display both, I should be displaying it in 720 to get a better looking picture?

From my understanding, you don't really have a choice. The TV will display whatever the source is displaying. It's just a matter of how "true" can your TV display the source's image. If you're passing 720p (or 480) video source to a 1080i(p) TV... then your tv will upscale it's display to show the 720p image on your 1080 tv. The more expensive TVs tend to have better software to upscale the video so it will display smoother (with less pixelation). The reverse is true also... If you're displaying 1080 format to 720(max) tv, then the video is downscaled to 720p format according to the software's instructions. Once again, the more expensive TVs tend to do this better than the cheaper TVs.

I'm no expert, so correct me if I'm off on this one guys.

(edited)
sounds fun but I spent all my money at a peep show

gallery_8_3_14058.jpeg

:shock: I thought this was a clean server/forum!!!

I'm reporting you mister!

FATTY!!!

Edited by shoot

(edited)
You absolutely don't need 1080p right now and even 1080i is an unneccessary luxury.

Let me just say that not many people (in my personal experience) can see a difference between a 480p DVD (regular dvd) and a 1080i HD DVD on the same tv. I have both setups at my house and quite a few people actually say "I don't see the difference".

I've got an 8 year old 1080i 42" Zenith and it is awesome all around. Go for cheap.

If your watching digitial cable, there is a HUGE difference between 480p and 1080i... If you have a 1080i TV and your just watching standard cable with it, of course there wont' be a difference because your TV is probably not even displaying at 480p......

Look at like your do your computer monitor...

If you have a 1080i capable computer monitor(1920x1080) and your game is only running at 480p.... Then it will look the same as your 480p capable monitor...

I also doubt you have a 1080i TV that is 8 years old, they made HD-READY tv's back then, with their only ability to downscale a 1080i signal to 240x320(standard cable TV) or 480p(DVD)

EDIT*

Also, I would like to add that you can get 1080i signal for free with your rabbit ears, if you only have a 720p TV, it's going to downscale it do a crappier resolution of 1280x720....

Edited by NOFX

Or here 47" 1080p for $1000

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2815

Here's your 42" 720p for $699 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2815

I would go with that vizio fo shizzle... My g/f has a 26" vizio, sure it's cheaper, but hey, it does output 1920x1080 pixels just fine and it looks great.

That tv looks fine except for the low contrast ratio.

/me makes a mental note to research the importance of contrast ratio more before he buys.

(edited)

samsung is a better tv than olevia/lg/westinghouse etc.

And shoot is correct about the processing (I said the same thing, but wordier in my last post). If you have a 720p TV, the picture you are viewing is technically 720p. The difference is the signal conversion, and not every TV is equal in the signal conversion department. A big reason why some TVs are more expensive than others when size and resolution are the same is the signal processing - how well do they upscale/downscale or de-interlace signals? Samsung LCD (and DLP) tvs are very good at this, which means your 480p Wii signal will look better on it than on a cheaper Visio/Olevia, etc. The HD signal on the cheaper brands still looks awesome, but the differences really stand out when you feed them a standard definition signal (480i/p). If my DVD's or non-existent Wii wouldn't look good, then it's a deal-breaker for me. I would rather sacrifice a little size/resolution than image quality. When it comes to TVs, you definitely get what you pay for.

I believe plasma is not going to last. It has a few picture quality advantages (much better black levels than LCD), but over LCD is a better all-around tech with greater longevity, which is why more companies are making LCD instead of plasma.

I think the one I listed is a great buy, and since it's not SJ's money (technically) and he MUST spend between $1000 and $1200 on it, I think it's a no-brainer, even with the $100 shipping. Under normal circumstances, I would agree with Dweez and look for free/cheaper shipping, but it's a great TV at a great discount that still falls within the budget with shipping included.

**As I'm sure Anonymo will come back to say, don't try to compare computer monitors and TVs. They are just too different and it's deceiving to try to compare them with monitors that are all about resolution and are progressive scan. A 720p TV only has 768 horizontal lines of resolution - even with a 1080i signal, you will NEVER get 1080 lines of resolution. Not possible. It will display the picture, but the picture is downscaled to fit the 768 lines of resolution. I don't know if the old 1080i TVs have the actual resolution or not, but I don't believe that they do. You'll have to look it up in your manual or something.

Edited by boilersax

I'm not sure if this was hammered out or not (I'm not reading all that) but:

A TV that is listed as 1080i DOES NOT HAVE a resolution of 1920x1080, it will either be 1360x768 or lower (like 1280x720) and use upscaling to provide the resolution.

Only 1080p utilizes/requires all 1920x1080 pixels, which is why I say not to buy 1080i TVs as 1080i is a gimmick, it's always an upscaled image unless your TV is 1080p, and then the flicker sets in. 1080i is great for still images, but anything moving will (should) be noticeably worse when compared to either 720p or 1080p.

If you have to spend the money, find the best 32"-42" 720p (will be listed as a 1080i) TV you can (Samsung, Sony or Sharp for LCDs) so that you can get the best processing possible. Either way you're going to be scaling the image, so you might as well get the lower resolution panel with better processing than a high resolution panel with crap processing. Then you can enjoy the most of what TV has to offer currently with no reason not to upgrade to a full 1080p panel in 2-3 years time.

Or, get a 1080p panel with crap processing, hook your PC up to it and use it as your CSS monitor...VGA requires no scaling or processing (at native res) so no worries! And the quality drop when you use it as a TV will be a nice deterrent for the wife to ever want to use it!

anonymo, the tv is being purchased for him as payment for a job he's doing. So waiting to purchase later isn't a valid option.

So this whole 720p vs. 1080i thing confuses me. Are you saying that if my tv can display both, I should be displaying it in 720 to get a better looking picture?

Is this like a pat on the back kind of payment? Or an under the table kind of thing? Just kind of curious is all. Cause I know at my job that anything above 25 dollars has to be reported to the company.

apple + PC and you get a commodore 64 with gigabit internet

I beg to differ...

We currently have 2 PCs (gaming rig, notebook) and 4 Macs (iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, 2 Macbooks) and they are happily enjoying a polygamous relationship. So, they CAN coexist and compliment each other's assets. With the right networking setup... It's swinging time baby! :wub:

All you people are overanalyzing this whole thing.

My HD-Ready tv that cost $1,000 5-7 years ago (don't remember exactly) looks good when hooked to an HD source and looks ok when hooked to a regular source. The end.

Screw all this crap about "lines" and "resolutions" and "blah blah blah". Does it look good? Is it cheap? Winner.

All you people are overanalyzing this whole thing.

My HD-Ready tv that cost $1,000 5-7 years ago (don't remember exactly) looks good when hooked to an HD source and looks ok when hooked to a regular source. The end.

Screw all this crap about "lines" and "resolutions" and "blah blah blah". Does it look good? Is it cheap? Winner.

yes, but in my opinion "cheap" means "looks like crap with SD sources" 90% of the time. Not everyone feels this way, but image processing is important to a lot of people. Besides, people asked (including you) for clarification, and I responded in as much detail as possible.

GC Alumni
(edited)

First, I want to say I'm absolutely over IP.Board. Somehow my last post disappeared, and this post vanished while creating it.

Is this like a pat on the back kind of payment? Or an under the table kind of thing? Just kind of curious is all. Cause I know at my job that anything above 25 dollars has to be reported to the company.
I'm an independent contractor for the company, and saw the opportunity to propose a barter for a small project.

A barter exchange is any person...that contract with each other...to jointly trade or barter property or services.
Barter exchanges are required to file Form 1099-B for all transactions unless certain exceptions are met. Under the exceptions, barter exchanges are not required to file Form 1099-B for: 1. Exchanges through a barter exchange having fewer than 100 transactions during the year.
We both meet that criteria, so we're good.

I got introduced to barter through the Barter Club, a for-profit corporation in northern California that manages the barter exchange across multiple vendors, retailers, etc.

http://www.thebarterclub.com/

Hope that helps.

edit: ref - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/articl...=113437,00.html

Edited by sj