basic upgrade..

DNA

(edited)

dna, in css you will notice a difference for sure. if you're getting 60+ fps now it's probably not worth it if all you do is css. certainly, with your vid card, upgrading your cpu, mobo and ram will put the bottleneck back to your vid card. right now there are probably times where you're cpu limited and for sure in css you are.

like with anything it depends what your primary purpose is. i upgrade only when my computer can't do something i want it to do. play such and such game at such and such res/detail settings. right now all my games run at max res and settings so i've got no need to upgrade.

Edited by Cujo

DNA
dna, in css you will notice a difference for sure. if you're getting 60+ fps now it's probably not worth it if all you do is css. certainly, with your vid card, upgrading your cpu, mobo and ram will put the bottleneck back to your vid card. right now there are probably times where you're cpu limited and for sure in css you are.

like with anything it depends what your primary purpose is. i upgrade only when my computer can't do something i want it to do. play such and such game at such and such res/detail settings. right now all my games run at max res and settings so i've got no need to upgrade.

I do a lot of video editing type stuff not just gaming, if I upgrade it would be to a quad(if that is going to help by say 50%), just not sure if I should spend or wait?

There really isn't any reason to spend now. If you game AND do video editing stuff, then a good quad or even a speedy dual core based on the Core 2 setup would be a night and day difference from the Opteron. Pretty much what Cujo said above.

There really isn't any reason to spend now. If you game AND do video editing stuff, then a good quad or even a speedy dual core based on the Core 2 setup would be a night and day difference from the Opteron. Pretty much what Cujo said above.

he did say he games and edits :) "not JUST gaming"

the upgrade would give you a significant boost in the video editing as well as the gaming, although the older games like CSS would be less affected. It would give you loads of headroom though. Worth the upgrade money in my opinion.

although the older games like CSS would be less affected.

actually, css would be one of the most affected games. he is VERY cpu limited in css in his current situation.

actually, css would be one of the most affected games. he is VERY cpu limited in css in his current situation.

yeah, I meant to say that he wouldn't be going from "unplayable" to 200 fps type of difference. I doubt he will notice a big difference while actually playing the game, even if his fps is jumping 120+ higher than it was with the opty.

bottom line he would not be unhappy with the upgrade :)

yeah, I meant to say that he wouldn't be going from "unplayable" to 200 fps type of difference. I doubt he will notice a big difference while actually playing the game, even if his fps is jumping 120+ higher than it was with the opty.

there was definitely a difference for me. it's noticeable as your lowest fps is what goes up. just based on game feel without looking at netgraph i could tell when i was at 2.4ghz the other day vs my usual 3.2ghz. that's on a c2d as well. he's going from an opty 1.8 to possibly a 3.0 c2d. i'd guess his minimum fps will nearly double in css.

btw, don't ask how i forget to reset my overclock after flashing the bios... :)

DNA

there was definitely a difference for me. it's noticeable as your lowest fps is what goes up. just based on game feel without looking at netgraph i could tell when i was at 2.4ghz the other day vs my usual 3.2ghz. that's on a c2d as well. he's going from an opty 1.8 to possibly a 3.0 c2d. i'd guess his minimum fps will nearly double in css.

LOL

What have heard about the q9300 quads...have a chance to pick one up for $200..worth it or should I still look at the q6600 quads for $225?

LOL

What have heard about the q9300 quads...have a chance to pick one up for $200..worth it or should I still look at the q6600 quads for $225?

the q9450 is the one to get. double the cache and it shouldn't be that much more. though a 9300 for 200 bucks is a steal as it's around 300 cdn up here though no place has them.