basic upgrade..

DNA

I am in need of possible and upgrade...

Have:

Opty 165 stock 939 board

2 gigs ram

1 TB Hard Drive

8800 gts

So is it going to be worth while to upgrade my CPU/Mother Board/Ram...I mean if I change CPUS I need to change boards and ram(right), and will it be a worth while increase.

So I want to spend at most $400 if I upgrade and to what (phenom?)

This is something I am looking at over the next few months, so a long term answer is also welcome.

Thanks All...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820144064

With shipping it comes to: $405.55 but you also get a $35 mail in rebate.

Yes the upgrade would be very significant, so it is highly recommended.

AMD just hasn't caught up yet so stick with C2D unless a new one comes out.

DNA
Whats your PSU, cause you may want/need to upgrade that too?

Not sure it is one Preacher soldme....??? ;) (shiny silver one)

I think at most it is 600 but thinking something like 500w...

Whats your PSU, cause you may want/need to upgrade that too?

Not sure it is one Preacher soldme....??? ;) (shiny silver one)

I think at most it is 600 but thinking something like 500w...

nvm you should be fine

I'd get the above, except switch the mobo for this one:

Gigabyte P35 or something similar. Ask Flitterkill about his mobo.

If you're running xp then I wouldnt worry too much about the 4GB or ram and I'd save some $$$ and go with the 2GB. Either way, ddr2-800 is super cheap.

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

stick with the 4gb cutting that in half will only save you $25 and the benefit will be there when you do go Vista 64bit :)

The PS you have is an SLI certified 500 watt Ultra X-Connect and it should be fine unless you decide to SLI another GTS on there. If you do that I suggest getting a dedicated PS for your video anyway. That will add another $50 and take up a 5 1/4 bay. Like this one: http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-itx-270w-psu.html

I would advise against that mobo since it only has one PCI-E slot so you won't have the option of SLIing another GPU later. That is just my opinion though. If you don't care about the 2nd video card option then that mobo would be fine.

Edited by Preacher

DNA
stick with the 4gb cutting that in half will only save you $25 and the benefit will be there when you do go Vista 64bit :)

The PS you have is an SLI certified 500 watt Ultra X-Connect and it should be fine unless you decide to SLI another GTS on there. If you do that I suggest getting a dedicated PS for your video anyway. That will add another $50 and take up a 5 1/4 bay. Like this one: http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-itx-270w-psu.html

I would advise against that mobo since it only has one PCI-E slot so you won't have the option of SLIing another GPU later. That is just my opinion though. If you don't care about the 2nd video card option then that mobo would be fine.

NO SLI thought in the future, but I am currently running vista 32 but have the 64 disks just not sure if it is worth upgrading or not....the hassle and all..you know...

Yeah, I just figured with his card he wont need/want another one for at least a year, and when he does want to upgrade that he'll most likely just buy a new card altogether.

Oh, I'm running vista 64-bit and I love it. Just save the files you want to keep on a different partition, install over the old, good to go. That's what I'd do anyway.

Edited by DarkArchon

DNA

So nothing is coming down the pipe that I should hold out for...I hear something about new AMD cpu's that are to be much better then the Intels...

Nobody likes the Phenon chips or is the intels that much better?

Go ahead and get the 4gigs over the 2 like preacher said, it's really only a few more dollars. Im having a good time with my new cheapish Abit P35 based motherboard. The Gigabyte seems just as good, if not a bit ugly. :D The P35 chipset supports the new intels well but no SLI.

I upgraded from a AMD X2 3800+ @2.4 w/1gig to a intel E2160 @3.1 w/4gig and the difference isn't all that much (running a 8800GT). I think things might change if i ever get my E8400 and run it at 4.0ghz. That would be your best be if your into overclocking. :mwink:

I upgraded from a AMD X2 3800+ @2.4 w/1gig to a intel E2160 @3.1 w/4gig and the difference isn't all that much (running a 8800GT). I think things might change if i ever get my E8400 and run it at 4.0ghz. That would be your best be if your into overclocking. :mwink:

??? did you not say it was snappier? if you monitored your fps in css you'd see your min is higher now. i noticed a huge difference from 2.8ghz amd3800+ to 3.2ghz c2d.

Yes it's snappier, but worth the $500 bucks I spent so far on it I dunno. My motherboard died as it was, I am happy with the money spent as I needed a new set up. It's just not $500 faster, but I did get a new case. Still when I get the E8400 it will jack the upgrade to $700, I might be happier then if it clocks up to 4000+. BTW i dont play CSS but am playing the HL2 episodes @ fps 60+, same as I was getting with the old Athlon.

If you jump from a AMD x2 cpu, get an intel default clocked fairly high if you don't overclock, otherwise I dont' think an upgrade is quite worth the money. Just try to overclock what you have for starters, it's not that complex and can be fun.

60 fps? Holy crap you need to RMA that video card. I get close to 200fps with everything maxed on maps like Militia and Nuke in a firefight. I got 130-150fps with my old x1900xtx so there's something wrong there if you can't do better than 60 bro.

60 fps? Holy crap you need to RMA that video card. I get close to 200fps with everything maxed on maps like Militia and Nuke in a firefight. I got 130-150fps with my old x1900xtx so there's something wrong there if you can't do better than 60 bro.

Unfortunately my LCD it locked down to 60fps. I can't stand to play with v-sync off. Besides theres a + at the end of the 60 :P Just ran the CS benchmark and scored 202fps with all maxed and 4x/4x 1680x1050. My old AMD system hit 150 something. If your already getting 200+ frames with the amd i dunno how much the intel will help ya.

bush, if you played css you'd notice a big difference. the stress test as well as hl2 are far harder on the video card then in game css.

anyway, as with anything it all depends on your application. you WILL benefit in future games having your current setup over your old one. don't expect 4ghz to make much difference. i would actually save money and not bother with the 8400 as it seems like you're getting all the cpu performance you need.

bush, if you played css you'd notice a big difference. the stress test as well as hl2 are far harder on the video card then in game css.

anyway, as with anything it all depends on your application. you WILL benefit in future games having your current setup over your old one. don't expect 4ghz to make much difference. i would actually save money and not bother with the 8400 as it seems like you're getting all the cpu performance you need.

I do notice a difference in most stuff, it's not like "wow this thing so freakin rocks now!". Maybe I'm just bitter cause my old system died. :freak: Or maybe cause Crysis still doesn't run as fast as I'd like it too, hehe. Also I have been playing Gothic 3 and it runs like a dog even though it is well over a year old. I dunno if it's my CPU or GPU.

I plan on making a new system for the kids with the E2160 when I ever pick up the E8400, that is if intel ever releases another batch of them before they come out with their next gen CPUs. :(

DNA

So is it really worth spending the money to go from the opty 165 to a quad with new RAM. I mean is the quad going to really give me better CPU performance or is it one of those things that would pay off later but not right now. Does the change in the RAM make thigns better? I have 2 gigs of ddr 533(i think), so I am not sure how much I would really see in the end or am I just paying for something that nobody is using in there game development?

Choices: Stick with old system and overclock or $400 and upgrade?

So is it really worth spending the money to go from the opty 165 to a quad with new RAM. I mean is the quad going to really give me better CPU performance or is it one of those things that would pay off later but not right now. Does the change in the RAM make thigns better? I have 2 gigs of ddr 533(i think), so I am not sure how much I would really see in the end or am I just paying for something that nobody is using in there game development?

Choices: Stick with old system and overclock or $400 and upgrade?

I would wait until the E8000 series chips are readily available again without the price gouging. Normally the E8400 (stock clocks at 3.0ghz with 6mb cache) was to be made available for around $200 but since supply ran out so fast stores online raised the prices of what stock they had left by as much as $275. I ended up getting a $70 dollar chip while I wait for the new E8400 shipments. I have one on back order now for 3 weeks, hope I still get it for $192. How bout overclock that opty, you should be able to hit 2.5 i think with good cooling.

Seems the E8400 can be pretty easily overclock to 4.0ghz with a good aftermarket cooler, that's what I'm waiting on. A CPU like that should do me for a couple years or when quads can really impact gaming. Course if you need a quad for editing or whatever you could use a quad for I think I saw a quad E6600 at microcenter for $200.